Menu

Does anyone know...

how much time passed between the earthquake and the tsunami in Japan? How much time did the people have to get clear of the wave? Minutes? An hour?

That's one bit of information I haven't been able to gleen from any of the articles/news broadcasts I've seen/read on the disaster.

Japan earthquake and tsunami: Timeline

March 12, 2011|By the CNN Wire Staff

Here's a minute-by-minute look at the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on Friday and subsequent worries over damage at nuclear power plants. (All times and dates are local Japanese time).FRIDAY

2:46 PM

Magnitude 8.9 earthquake 231 miles northeast of Tokyo, Japan at a depth of 15.2 miles.

Quake is fifth largest in the world (since 1900) and the largest quake ever to hit Japan.

Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issues tsunami warning for the Pacific Ocean from Japan to the U.S. west coast. Tsunami alerts sound in more than 50 countries and territories. .

Within an hour after the quake a wall of water up to 30 feet high washes over the Japanese coast.

Cars, boats and trains are swept away. Buildings collapse. Roads and highways are severed. Fires break out in many locations.

7:39 PM

Casualty reports begin to come in. Kyodo News Service reports at least 32 dead.

8:15 PM

Japanese government declares emergency for nuclear power plant near Sendai, 180 miles from Tokyo. Japan has 54 nuclear power plants.

9:35 PM

4 nuclear power plants closest to the quake are shut down.

10:29 PM

Cooling system at Fukushima nuclear report are reported not working: Authorities say they are "bracing for the worst.

Several thousand people living within a mile-and-a-half of the plant are ordered to evacuate.

10:48 PM

Police report finding 200 -- 300 bodies in coastal city of Sendai.

60,000 -- 70,000 city residents evacuated to shelters.

11:40 PM

National Police up the confirmed death toll to 93.

11:53 PM

A fire at Onagawa nuclear plant is extinguished, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

SATURDAY

12:39 AM

Fires are reported in at least three Japanese prefectures (Hakodate, Chiba, Miyagi). An oil refinery was ablaze near Tokyo.

12:42 AM

A dam breaks in Fukushima prefecture, washing away scores of homes.

12:59 AM

4 million homes in Tokyo and surrounding areas are without power.

1:07 AM

Kyodo News Service puts number of confirmed deaths at 137.

1:31 AM

Delta cancels 29 flights into and out of Tokyo.

American Airlines diverts six flights en route to Tokyo to other airports.

1:57 AM

US Navy announces movement of seven ships toward Japan to assist relief efforts.

2:06 AM

Radiation level in Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant reported rising.

3:05 AM

President Obama says Japan's prime minister told him no evidence of radiation leaks from his country's nuclear power plants.

3:24 AM

Japanese trade minister Banri Kaieda says small radiation leak could occur at Fukushima nuclear plant.

3:34 AM

Y'know, that "wall of water" can be so confusing. We watched Hawaii all that morning and watching the waves was more like watching the tide come in and go out. It's incredible how deceptive the tsunami is. It's not a giant wave that makes you think surfing. It looks like a pool collapsed. Not dramatic at all, just this trickle of water that keeps coming on relentlessly.

This is from facebook, it's 6 minutes long. At first, it's a trickle, within a minute it's feet deep, within 4 minutes it's moving cars, five and buildings are moving. If you can watch this, I highly recommend it. The kids and I were really stunned at what a tsunami really looks like from the ground. It's nothing like we thought.

Y'know, that "wall of water" can be so confusing. We watched Hawaii all that morning and watching the waves was more like watching the tide come in and go out. It's incredible how deceptive the tsunami is. It's not a giant wave that makes you think surfing. It looks like a pool collapsed. Not dramatic at all, just this trickle of water that keeps coming on relentlessly.

This is from facebook, it's 6 minutes long. At first, it's a trickle, within a minute it's feet deep, within 4 minutes it's moving cars, five and buildings are moving. If you can watch this, I highly recommend it. The kids and I were really stunned at what a tsunami really looks like from the ground. It's nothing like we thought.

wow.

I'm curious.. anyone speak Japanese? There were announcements going in the background and I'm just wondering what was being said.. something like 'run for higher ground'?

Wow, that video... Dd11 and I just watched it. Oh my goodness. Words fail.

I'm not sure how long it will be available (just noticed on fb that it's copyright protected by the news channel). I wish there were more on the ground videos like this. I really had no idea how subtle and relentless a tsunami was. You read "wall of water" and (for me, anyway) it always sounds like a giant wave towering over the shore and then crashing down.

Thank you for sharing this, it gives another look at just how the tsunami can devastate. My heart is breaking for those that live there, their families and their country.

You read "wall of water" and (for me, anyway) it always sounds like a giant wave towering over the shore and then crashing down.

I did, too. Someone on another thread said about Hawaii that it's not just a 7 foot wave, but that ALL the water is 7 feet tall. I had no clue.

I heard some places had 7 minutes warning, and other places had 30 minutes.

I heard an interview with a Japanese woman who said she started running as soon as she heard the sirens. she had 30 minutes, ans got to higher ground 4 minutes ahead of the water. No Idea how she timed it.

I heard another interview of someone who heard the sirens going and thought the tsunami levy wall would hold it back, he was shocked when it went right over the wall, and only just made it up to the second floor.

Did you see the amazing rescue of the three elderly people found still alive in their car after 3 days?

I did, too. Someone on another thread said about Hawaii that it's not just a 7 foot wave, but that ALL the water is 7 feet tall. I had no clue.

We watched the news footage in Hawaii all that morning (we actually turned it off just before the big wave hit). The scientist (that was getting so much flak for being wrong) said that they go to sea level and measure the water depth there. That is where the 7ft wave comes from. The water was 7ft deep at sea level. If you had a chance to watch the coverage there when the tsunami warning went into effect it was incredible. The water was going out past the coral beds, then it would gradually (but relentlessly) come back up, all the way to the retaining wall (thingy, lol, not sure exactly what the wall was). Over and over and over. I would not have called it a wave, it looked like the tide coming in and going out. But it was, wave after wave after wave.

I know, for us, we learned a lot from watching the news Monday. The kids were educating my parents on tsunamis when we went visiting Tuesday.