Menu

I've recently discovered that butter gives me acne.

I know this is a small thing in a world of momentous events but...I Love Butter. :crying:

I suspected for a while but I was in denial. So, after some experimentation on myself it became quite clear that I must give it up. Only 48 hours without butter and my skin looks sooo much better. If I eat butter, I'm breaking out by nightfall and the next morning my forehead feels like a Braille primer .

The strange thing is milk doesn't bother me at all. I haven't completely tested cheese yet.

So, I can substitute oils for just about every time I use butter, except toast and cookies. I guess I can live without buttery goodness on a piece of hot homemade bread, even though I don't want to. But what about cookies? I refuse to use margarine. I really don't want to use shortening either. Coconut oil is not very easy to work with when it is cold, and it is too liquid when warm.

So my burning question is: What do you use to make cookies if you can't have butter? I really don't want to give up those as well.

I know this is a small thing in a world of momentous events but...I Love Butter. :crying:

I suspected for a while but I was in denial. So, after some experimentation on myself it became quite clear that I must give it up. Only 48 hours without butter and my skin looks sooo much better. If I eat butter, I'm breaking out by nightfall and the next morning my forehead feels like a Braille primer .

The strange thing is milk doesn't bother me at all. I haven't completely tested cheese yet.

So, I can substitute oils for just about every time I use butter, except toast and cookies. I guess I can live without buttery goodness on a piece of hot homemade bread, even though I don't want to. But what about cookies? I refuse to use margarine. I really don't want to use shortening either. Coconut oil is not very easy to work with when it is cold, and it is too liquid when warm.

So my burning question is: What do you use to make cookies if you can't have butter? I really don't want to give up those as well.

Butter flavor crisco

(This is a joke -- If butter gives you acne, stop rubbing on your face. :D)

butter-flavored Crisco makes the best sugar cookies. I hide it under the produce and organic dairy products in my cart, but really, it makes a fine cookie that can be cut out easily and doesn't lose its shape. I use the recipe that comes in the package, or I am sure it is on their website. I have not used it for other cookies, but it would be worth a shot.

Also, for a spread for toast and such, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light is yummy.

Terri

My husband prefers to use Spectrum brand Palm Shortening in his cookies. It's made from palm oil and isn't hydrogenated like Crisco and has no other additives. The flavor is more "neutral" tasting than coconut oil and it doesn't melt as easily. My husband says cookies brown up more easily and look nicer when he uses it instead of butter.

I feel guilty even admitting this, as I've been rather stridently Anti-Margarine for years, but Earth Balance margarine is goooood. It really does taste like butter. No trans-fats, either, if that's a concern.

I've baked with it, and it works pretty well.

I feel guilty even admitting this, as I've been rather stridently Anti-Margarine for years, but Earth Balance margarine is goooood. It really does taste like butter. No trans-fats, either, if that's a concern.

I've baked with it, and it works pretty well.

We are dairy free, and Earth Balance works well here too.

That's hilarious. After I read online about all the people secretly judging my cart, I now make sure that when I buy Pringles once a month (or less!!) that they are hidden under a large leafy bunch of organic kale (which I *never* put in a plastic produce bag! ;) ) I'm just glad that I don't have to use a government food card. "My tax dollars should not go to pay for a pmsing woman needing a salt and preservatives fix!" and all.

butter-flavored Crisco makes the best sugar cookies. I hide it under the produce and organic dairy products in my cart, but really, it makes a fine cookie that can be cut out easily and doesn't lose its shape. I use the recipe that comes in the package, or I am sure it is on their website. I have not used it for other cookies, but it would be worth a shot.

Also, for a spread for toast and such, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light is yummy.

Terri

Edited by LibraryLover