Menu

What are your 6th-8th grade goals?

My son will be going into 6th grade this next school year. I feel like it might help us both if we had some kind of goals. We only started folding in WTM ideas this year. So far we are pretty happy. Backstory...My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS a little over a year ago. He has been in public school twice with homeschooling in between. I've given him a lot of freedoms and I've been happy with that. He has taken this time to really work on his special needs. He has been doing quite well this year. Back to my thoughts...

The only thing I have thus far is...

1. get "caught up" in Math

2. finish 1 cycle of History by 8th grade (We are in our first cycle of the History using SOTW).

3. Start more stringent studies in Science (He loves science, but we have been totally child led up till this year).

4. And, I'm thinking since he is so Science orientated and a Creationist that we should start doing some kind of studies about the different theories and how to defend your choices.

5. Formal writing/grammar programs beginning in 6th grade. (Not sure about my goals here. Again he hasn't had anything formal. He is just starting Writing Strands 3).

I would love to see what others expect and not just of special needs kids (that's why I put it here). I have two more boys following him and I want to be better prepared.

My daughter will be in sixth grade next year and I plan to primarily focus on math and language arts. History and science will be either unschooled or a unit study. I feel liked I burned her out with school this past year, which may have led to some of her anxiety issues right now. I feel guilty about this and think we should get a little more laid back in all other subjects.

Funny you should ask! My dh and I just decided that since my dd11 is a "young" sixth grader this year (started school early) that we are going to, in a sense, "repeat" 6th next year! It's such a freeing feeling for me b/c now I feel as if I have more time to teach her what she will need for high school. My primary goals for her:

1. Get up to speed with writing and really focus on that. Build her confidence as a writer so it's not so "painful" for her.

2. Finish History cycle through Exp. through 1850. She had some late modern History in 4th...she's never really went through a chronological cycle and probably won't since we are taking a year off to do MFW ECC next year. That's okay w/ me. She'll get more in High school.

That's really about it. I don't want to overwhelm her or cause anxiety...which was where we were headed next year when I considered her a 7th grader. Her plate would have been very full. I"m so much more relaxed now that she has that "extra" year to mature.

Funny you should ask! My dh and I just decided that since my dd11 is a "young" sixth grader this year (started school early) that we are going to, in a sense, "repeat" 6th next year! It's such a freeing feeling for me b/c now I feel as if I have more time to teach her what she will need for high school. My primary goals for her:

1. Get up to speed with writing and really focus on that. Build her confidence as a writer so it's not so "painful" for her.

2. Finish History cycle through Exp. through 1850. She had some late modern History in 4th...she's never really went through a chronological cycle and probably won't since we are taking a year off to do MFW ECC next year. That's okay w/ me. She'll get more in High school.

That's really about it. I don't want to overwhelm her or cause anxiety...which was where we were headed next year when I considered her a 7th grader. Her plate would have been very full. I"m so much more relaxed now that she has that "extra" year to mature.

Wow, that's interesting that you posted this! We are right at that same spot, just haven't made a decision yet. My dd just turned 11, and is? was? heading for 7th grade next year. My dh and I have discussed it, and we've talked about it with dd. She's not sure that's what she wants to do, but we're still thinking about it! So we'll see. It's neat to see someone in the same boat, I'm glad you shared that! :) Maybe we'll play it by ear and see how it goes?

and my goal is to have her accelerated by at least two years in science and three years in math as she heads toward high school. I'd like her to become fluent in French and Latin. She can continue on with Tapestry of Grace. She'll be on grade level with English and writing (she's a good writer, but not an accelerated one). She'll continue her piano and ballet studies, which are going well, and go up through Lifeguard Training in swimming. We hope to do more international travel in the coming years. This summer she will learn computer programming and work through some Fischertechnik building kits. She'll start Junior Cotillion next year and continue on with her Keepers at Home group.

That's it! I don't want to add another thing!

We do best in actually meeting goals when we have ONE! So my goal for my dd2 next year (will be in 7th grade) is WRITING, and that's it. Everything else will go on autopilot, and I will plug away at it as usual, but I will consider the year a success if her writing has improved considerably.

Somehow having more than one goal per child seems to muddy the waters!

I have a son going into 7th grade next year. My goals for him for the next two years are:

**Focus on independent, fluent, high-quality output in all subject areas**

Do a second history rotation (over 2 years)

Complete an overview of physics, chemistry, earth science, astronomy, and biology (over 2 years). Also study the history of science.

Begin formal study of literature (beginning with LLLOTR)

Complete 1-2 years of Latin

Have some exposure to Spanish (Rosetta Stone) before taking in high school

Complete math through geometry

He's already completed Hake 8, so we won't be doing grammar. We'll pick it up again in high school.

My dd will be in 6th next year, but she's really at the age of a 5th grader. By the end of 8th grade, my goals are:

1) be ready for algebra

2) be able to work completely indepedently

3) learn keyboarding and get up to a decent speed

4) start science formally by 7th grade

5) improve writing skills

Wow, that's interesting that you posted this! We are right at that same spot, just haven't made a decision yet. My dd just turned 11, and is? was? heading for 7th grade next year. My dh and I have discussed it, and we've talked about it with dd. She's not sure that's what she wants to do, but we're still thinking about it! So we'll see. It's neat to see someone in the same boat, I'm glad you shared that! :) Maybe we'll play it by ear and see how it goes?

We have not discussed this w/ dd yet. My dh was more concerned than I was about how she would take it. With hsing, there is so much flexibility anyway, that grade level doesn't really matter much. If she wants to call herself a 7th grader around her friends, great. She does all of her subjects on grade level or above anyway. It's just the maturity and the fact that in so many areas she is on that fence btwn. the grammar and logic stage. I just don't want to push her too fast and overwhelm her. Academically she is a 6th grader this year...developmentally, in certain areas, she is a 5th grader. Good luck w/ your decision! Oh, another deciding factor was her age entering college. I'd rather her be "on target" than young.

We have not discussed this w/ dd yet. My dh was more concerned than I was about how she would take it. With hsing, there is so much flexibility anyway, that grade level doesn't really matter much. If she wants to call herself a 7th grader around her friends, great. She does all of her subjects on grade level or above anyway. It's just the maturity and the fact that in so many areas she is on that fence btwn. the grammar and logic stage. I just don't want to push her too fast and overwhelm her. Academically she is a 6th grader this year...developmentally, in certain areas, she is a 5th grader. Good luck w/ your decision! Oh, another deciding factor was her age entering college. I'd rather her be "on target" than young.
Those are the same reasons we've been considering it. Not because she couldn't do 7th grade work---she can, but so as not to "push her too fast and overwhelm her." (EXACTLY as you said, and those were our exact words!)

Okay, so that's not my only goal, but it's a big one right now. I want him ready for the writing portion of the SAT by the end of 8th grade. I'm using IEW for that.

He's a year behind in math, and I'd like to get him caught up by then. Algebra in 8th grade is my goal. We'll see....

Formal science (either Apologia or BJU) will start in 7th grade. We're actually doing BJU 5 now, but I'm very relaxed about it.

For history, I'm hoping to get through the 20th century by the end of 8th grade. With my present plan, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like him capable of doing some basic literature analysis. He has Asperger's and I'm not sure how this will impact his ability to see symbolism and such.

I want him to have read lots of good books, getting him ready for high school level literature.

Latin - get at least 2 years in before high school.

typing - This may seem minor, but he still hunts and pecks. I want him to get up to a workable speed.

At the beginning of Gr 6, we were reduced to survival. I thought my ds was hopelessly behind. It wasn't pretty. I was determined that he'd do well in math as well as learn to write and spell.

At the end of Grade 7, math finally clicked and his penmanship and spelling have both improved immensely. We're going to be more relaxed in Grade 8 - more of an unschooling approach. We both deserve it.

I find it interesting and a bit of a relief...

that so many of you are loosening up a bit during this period. Some even mentioned the U word. Sometimes I worry that our relaxed period might have done some harm. But, that's not what I'm actually seeing. It's given him the time (and his parents for that matter;)) the chance to really figure out who is and what he needs.

Thanks for the all the replies!

Heather

Math - just keep plugging along in Singapore (Primary 6 next year and then I think we will keep with Singapore - it is NEM after that, isn't it? I do want his math facts down COLD by the end of 8th grade (he MOSTLY knows all of them).

History - we started our second cycle of history with 5th using the Beautiful Feet guides - next year (6)will be their medieval guide, followed by the Amer. History guide (which we might supplement) (7th) and then their modern U.S. history (8th). This include reading/literature/writing.

Grammar - keep plugging with Rod and Staff

Latin - keep plugging with Memoria Press

Science - this year (5th) we did our first formal "textbook" science using 1/2 of the Abeka 7th grade science. For 6th grade we will do the 2nd 1/2 of 7th gr. Abeka science. I'm not totally sure for 7th & 8th (maybe stick with Abeka?)

Typing - I want him to be fairly accomplished in typing by 8th grade.

Music - He's been studying the recorder since 2nd grade and this year is starting duet work with the recorder. Next year etc. I will give him more choice - maybe even the choice of another instrument.

My goal for 7th & 8th, is that dd12 will be well prepared for high school (public) if I give in and let her go. :confused: Other than that, just keep building onto her foundation, keep learning fun (when I can), and challenge her to do better, give it 100% even if she feels like giving it 50%. I think her attitude is what I worry about most. When she feels good, learning comes easily, but when she is feeling low, learning is hard. I know a lot of this is the HORMONES! But, I still try to help her move around that aspect of her biology. :001_huh: