Menu

Educational computer games?

Renee in NC

We are loving this one to go along with our Expedition Earth geography right now...it's very fun and DS loves playing it...

http://www.amazon.com/First-Amazing-World-Explorer-2-1/dp/B000TR6P6W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sw_1

I saw that they also have History Explorer and we may totally get that in a year or so when we start really getting into History!!

http://www.amazon.com/First-Amazing-History-Explorer-1-1/dp/B000K8TQLQ/ref=pd_bxgy_sw_text_b

Are you looking for websites or actual computer games where you have to install from a cd?

I have a few suggestions either way.

Either. I don't know if we will have internet at our new house or not, but I am saving links just in case.

I am planning to have each child play some sort of educational computer game for 30 minutes each day, but I want to have some fun/good things to do.

Websites

I only know a bit about things for younger children. You can't go wrong with starfall.com

I also allow my children to watch some of the PBS cartoons like Dinosaur Train and Word World. So PBS Kids is a nice compliment and a place where you can find resources and activity ideas to compliment things learned from the cartoons.

WatchKnow is directory of thousands of educational videos that you can sort by age of child.

For computer games my girls love Jumpstart and Clifford.

My ds really likes Timezattack, which you can download onto your computer for free. There is an upgraded, fancier version for sale, but the free download keeps ds happy. It teached muliplication facts to 12.

I was going to post this one too. My ds9 is really learning his multiplication facts from it.

I can't be the only one who grew up playing the Carmen Sandiego games and who has kids who enjoy them now! Library sales, yard sales, etc. might have the old CDs available (my dad has found several for us, and I think library sales and yard sales are most common for him). I learned a ton of geography from those games, plus thinking/reasoning skills (if the clue tells you somewhere with mountains, you can reason out which states might have them, for instance), and my 6 and 9yos love them as well.