Menu

Quinoa recipes, please!

Ok, ladies, my box arrived from Amazon and I now have several pounds of red quinoa. I used some in place of rice for a Thai style curry, and it was good but I noticed the quinoa is pretty bland on its own. I was glad I had such a flavorful sauce to top it. I also tried to make some quinoa hot cereal by simmering it in milk with dried cranberries and apricots and a little honey. It is okay, though I will add more honey next time. The nutty flavor of the quinoa is still pretty strong.

So any favorite quinoa recipes? I know I can sub it for rice in any recipe, I am looking for more uses/recipes. Also, is white quinoa very different?

I saute some onion and garlic in butter or olive oil, then saute some veggies (whatever we have fresh or some frozen mix,) then add the water and quinoa and cook until done. Not very exciting. :001_smile:

Sounds simple though. And I bet I could fancy it up just by adding some fresh herbs.

We really like this this one.

Also, when we cook plain quinoa we use broth in place of water and it is very tasty.

That one looks like it would be great with some black beans in a taco!

LOL, I've recently just started eating this too.

I tried it as a sub for oatmeal, but it wasn't my fave. I still prefer oatmeal more.

So far, I've really just used it w/ beans & veggies served on top of it. I esp. like the quinoa w/ black beans. (In fact, that's what I had for lunch today.)

For the most part, we've made the switch from rice to quinoa as dh is diabetic. I buy the organic quinoa from Costco. I pretty much use the quinoa in place of rice in any recipe.

Here are two specifically quinoa recipes that we've liked:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pesto Quinoa

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Rice & Grains

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 cup quinoa -- rinsed and drained

2 cups chicken broth

2 tablespoons basil pesto

1 tomato -- diced

salt and pepper to taste

Bring the quinoa and chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the moisture is completely absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir the pesto through the quinoa. Fold the tomato into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quinoa with Roasted Corn

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Rice & Grains Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 tablespoons extra virgin oilve oil

1 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh if possible -- otherwise use thawed frozen corn)

salt and pepper

3/4 cup quinoa -- well rinsed and drained

1 1/2 cups chicken -- beef, or vegetable stock

Put the oil in a skillet with lid over medium-high heat. When hot add the corn, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn begins to brown, about 10 minutes.

Add the quinoa and stir, when the grains start popping and toasting, a couple of minutes later, add the stock and bring to a boil. Stir onelast time, cover, and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 15 minutes.

Uncover and test for doneness. If still a little hard, check to see that there's still a little liquid on bottom of pan, cover and cook a few minutes more. when done, add a little more fresh ground pepper, serve immediately or let cool to room temperature.

For a change, instead of corn, you can use 1/2 pound ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken), and brown it in a mixture of two tbl. peanut oil and 1 tbl sesame oil. Continue as above, and at end mix in a little soy and garnish with scallions.

Source:

"How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -