Menu

If you were going to do a degree just for fun,

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would LOVE to do for fun is just take whatever course looked interesting. Who cares about if it will count towards the degree? Who cares about the cost? Who cares if this class is here and the next one is there and the one after that is over yonder?

THAT is what I would love to do.

:iagree:

Taking only the classes that appealed to me would be awesome.

I am about to finish a Biblical degree and am trying to decide between a masters in Divinity or Library Science. Professional student sounds like a great idea :D I am also insanely interested in languages. I am currently studying Koine Greek and Spanish is next but I would also love to learn French, Mandarin Chinese, Hebrew, Latin and Portuguese :D

Well--since I already have degrees in my favorite subjects and can just have fun...

Art History (with the required study tours of course ;))

Culinary Courses (I'm not sure I want a full degree worth but some courses)

Geology (I don't think I want a full course but a couple of rocks for jocks and history of the earth type courses would be fascinating)

Information Technology (I just want to know how it all works)

and finally-Ancient Languages

Music! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE music. I grew up around music...my dad was a drummer/singer in a local band when I was young. I sing and am learning (though on a break at the moment) to play guitar. I MISS it!

AWESOME!!! I would love to go to the Music Institute or Berklee and study guitar. That would be so awesome. :) Actually, now that I think about it, why not study everything! lol I've always wanted to learn drums and I play cello and bass also and would love to learn more there and piano too. :) That would be an amazing experience. :)

AWESOME!!! I would love to go to the Music Institute or Berklee and study guitar. That would be so awesome. :) Actually, now that I think about it, why not study everything! lol I've always wanted to learn drums and I play cello and bass also and would love to learn more there and piano too. :) That would be an amazing experience. :)

:thumbup: I want to learn piano too.

Regular people, yes. But, not to me! And, there are dozens of people here, maybe even more, who enjoy learning and talking about those topics.

(I do have to be careful in real life, though, I can get carried away about phonics and sight words and there are not many people who are interested in too many details. Most people do find the progress my students have made interesting, though.)

If the AF sends you to NC, we will have to have lunch so we can talk about words! This thread made me go looking again for OG training options. I can take the introductory course online for only $49, then the certification course in Winston-Salem, 2 hours away. I'm going to start saving for the certification course since it's pricey and will include hotel expense. I'm not sure I even want to tutor kids other than my own. I have so enjoyed the bits and pieces of OG training I've had that I want to learn more. And I don't want to just be trained in a specific program - I want to learn the broader methodology and theory.

Wow. Y'all are so scholarly!

If I could go back to school, I'd get a BS in Criminal Justice-Forensics. :D

I've thought about that, too, because it meshes nicely with my career. But right now, I'm tired of my career, so if I were going to school for fun, I'd do something different.

I'd love to be a professional student. Staring down the end of 7-9 more years in school, I often feel like I AM a professional student. :tongue_smilie:

But, if I were doing a degree just for fun I'd do.... well, exactly what I'm doing now! History. But I'd take every history course there is.

Once I got that, I'd go back and get another degree in French, Spanish, Gender/Sexuality studies, Religious studies, and second language acquisition/linguistics.

(My major is history, and I have a triple minor in French, Spanish and gender studies, so I really can't complain. I LOVE my classes, and only wish I had more time to take even more!)

I enjoy school. I double-majored during my initial college experience, and I've been back for three "fun" degrees in the years since (two Bachelors and one Masters).

I have tentative plans to start up again next year (Fall 2011 or Spring 2012). This time I'll go back for a Bachelors in Philosophy or a Masters in Urban Planning - it just depends on how our home schooling is going, and how much time/energy I can divert towards my own studies. We will be starting middle school so I'm hesitant to commit to anything more than a BS, but I'd really prefer Urban Planning!

Eventually I'd like to earn my PhD (Evolutionary Biology). That's a ways off, though, between working outside the home and home schooling the kids. Everything in due time :)

All the posts about studying French make me feel kind of guilty, lol. I've been living with a Frenchman for the last 18 years, and while he says I'm fluent, I don't think I'm as good at it as I ought to be, and I don't even really try to get better. And I am actually interested in languages! It makes no sense.