Menu

I've looked around at her site some recently, and I am not exactly sure what she is trying to do. Many of her "brain training" exercises are really standard OT activities. She doesn't call things by their mainstream names and I don't see any research cited to back up what she is saying. I am a research person when it comes to LD remediation.

Her connection between ADD and yeast overgrowth is interesting. My 9yo has always been the one to have lots of ear infections (and he has the most severe ADHD that I have ever heard of.) *However*, he can't take antibiotics for them because of how sick they make him! I didn't see anything to show that antibiotic use wasn't a correlation instead of causation.

I will say that I am interested to see how the allergy as a cause of LDs works out. My 9yo *did* get much, much worse after we moved in this house, as did the behaviors/quirks of the others. This house is full[/u ]of mold! I have been finding new mold as I pack (the wall behind the washer and dryer at the bottom was water-damaged and moldy.) There is mold in the walls, mold in the floors, mold *everywhere*! So, maybe things will get somewhat better when we move (into a newer house with no signs of mold.)

I have mixed feelings about her. She is a PRECIOUS lady, and I know that her heart is in the right place. And she is so willing to help people. And the stuff she recommends aren't harmful by any means.

However, it's incomplete, IMO. For example, her main solution on treating auditory processing disorder is to do these figure 8 things with the arm up by the ear or something. Or dyslexia...if I remember correctly her solution for that is to use her right-brained learning materials. That would NEVER fly with my dyslexic, who is making TONS of progress with O-G methods. (Funny...that's what the research shows too.)

I completely agree with Renee.

I have mixed feelings about her. She is a PRECIOUS lady, and I know that her heart is in the right place. And she is so willing to help people. And the stuff she recommends aren't harmful by any means.

However, it's incomplete, IMO. For example, her main solution on treating auditory processing disorder is to do these figure 8 things with the arm up by the ear or something. Or dyslexia...if I remember correctly her solution for that is to use her right-brained learning materials. That would NEVER fly with my dyslexic, who is making TONS of progress with O-G methods. (Funny...that's what the research shows too.)

I completely agree with Renee.

:iagree:

that says my feelings as well.

I got the Brain Integration Book. Thought, this is one step. not much. extremely boring and repetitive. There are better things on the market for doing basic Occupational Therapy and Sensory Integration.

Ms. Craft seems to be on the everything is diet/yeast related. It might be for some children.

I purchased her audio set "The Biology of Behavior" and instituted her low-carb/low-sugar & supplement regime with my son. It made very little difference...

I also tried her recommendations for spelling & writing...again - very little improvement. (I think we've seen more improvement with AAS.)

I just couldn't bring myself to fork out the $$ for the rest of the materials.

same here...

her heart is in the right place, I think. But her materials are just not going to cut it for use.

HWT has easier helps for writing and sensory prep for writing practice.

I just don't hear lots of success stories. reads like lofty promises and even though it won't hurt or cost much, it really doesn't help much.

-crystal

:iagree:

that says my feelings as well.

I got the Brain Integration Book. Thought, this is one step. not much. extremely boring and repetitive. There are better things on the market for doing basic Occupational Therapy and Sensory Integration.

Ms. Craft seems to be on the everything is diet/yeast related. It might be for some children.

same here...

her heart is in the right place, I think. But her materials are just not going to cut it for use.

HWT has easier helps for writing and sensory prep for writing practice.

I just don't hear lots of success stories. reads like lofty promises and even though it won't hurt or cost much, it really doesn't help much.

-crystal

She is a main speaker at the NC Convention in May - that is what made me go to her site. If her methods are really effective, I'd like to see some form of research to show that. None of what she advocates will hurt, except that it could lead parents to put off getting other help longer than necessary.

I am reading an article in a homeschooling mag by Dianne Craft. Of course, I've heard of her before, but I've never done much looking around at what specific sorts of learning issues she addresses.

In the article, she pinpoints two main areas of struggles for teens: 1) Writing & Spelling, and 2) Attention & Focus. She goes on in the Writing section to talk about dysgraphia and "right brain writing", and touts a couple of her videos for addressing these issues.

I'm taking the article with a grain of salt, as she is of course trying to sell me something. ;) I'd love to hear from the Hive who know a bit more about her and her products, and especially from those of you who have experience with Dianne Craft materials.

I know I have read at least one book by her from the library, so I refreshed my memory on Amazon. In the "Look Inside" feature on Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World http://www.amazon.com/Right-Brained-Children-Left-Brained-World-Unlocking/dp/0684847930/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298991694&sr=1-2#reader_0684847930 she writes on page 12 something about herself that might help provide proper perspective on where she's coming from. She tested "off the chart" on the right-brained side of brain dominance tests.

My children have strong visual skills, but none are "off the chart". I filed the information I read in Craft's books in my brain under the file: "Interesting experiences of other people with some parts worth taking into consideration, but not a perfect fit for our situation." If I recall correctly, it seems much of Craft's focus is on ADD, with other co-morbid learning disabilities like dyslexia and dysgraphia addressed with ADD from her very "right-brained" perspective.

I know I have read at least one book by her from the library, so I refreshed my memory on Amazon. In the "Look Inside" feature on Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World http://www.amazon.com/Right-Brained-Children-Left-Brained-World-Unlocking/dp/0684847930/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298991694&sr=1-2#reader_0684847930 she writes on page 12 something about herself that might help provide proper perspective on where she's coming from. She tested "off the chart" on the right-brained side of brain dominance tests.

My children have strong visual skills, but none are "off the chart". I filed the information I read in Craft's books in my brain under the file: "Interesting experiences of other people with some parts worth taking into consideration, but not a perfect fit for our situation." If I recall correctly, it seems much of Craft's focus is on ADD, with other co-morbid learning disabilities like dyslexia and dysgraphia addressed with ADD from her very "right-brained" perspective.

She didn't write that book - it's by Jeffrey Freed (I think that is his name?) and your description does fit that books. ADD and dyslexia do overlap quite a bit and I'll be interested to see where the research goes in the future as they learn more and more about how the brain works.

She is a main speaker at the NC Convention in May - that is what made me go to her site. If her methods are really effective, I'd like to see some form of research to show that. None of what she advocates will hurt, except that it could lead parents to put off getting other help longer than necessary.

:iagree::iagree:

-crystal

She practices in my area and I know about a dozen people that have used her. Almost everyone says her program worked to teach their kids to read. The few that don't, went on to use Anna and their kids did fine. However, I am not sold, even for my daughter with issues. Sometimes I think just the extra time given, is all that was needed. I did use her BIT with two of my kids. It might have helped, might not. ;)

She didn't write that book - it's by Jeffrey Freed (I think that is his name?) and your description does fit that books. ADD and dyslexia do overlap quite a bit and I'll be interested to see where the research goes in the future as they learn more and more about how the brain works.

I feel stupid! :blush: Thanks for that correction. I know I've read information by Dianne Craft, but I can't remember what I read that she wrote. I had read that other book popped up on my Amazon search when I entered her name, and I didn't check the author before posting my comments. In the words of Gilda Radner, "Nevermind."

I feel stupid! :blush: Thanks for that correction. I know I've read information by Dianne Craft, but I can't remember what I read that she wrote. I had read that other book popped up on my Amazon search when I entered her name, and I didn't check the author before posting my comments. In the words of Gilda Radner, "Nevermind."

Don't feel stupid! She sells/recommends this book on her website quite a bit. The book was interesting to me because most of my dc and myself think in pictures rather than words, so I guess that makes us "right-brained." She seems to base many of her theories on that book, too.

I'm new to this board, but I did buy Dianne's brain therapy book and have just recently started a few of the exercises. Now I'm wondering if it is worth it. I guess we will continue for awhile and see.

We have 5 biological children...4 who have graduated from homeschooling and one who is 14. We did foster care for 3 years for 2 siblings and then were able to adopt the little boy and his sister...they are now 5 & 6 years old. Our little girl was 9 months when we got her and her brother was 2. The mother was diagnosed as borderline mentally retarded. Most of my concern is with the little guy who will be 7 this month. He really struggles and I'm wondering what to use that will help him. He definitely has some attention problems and he cannot remember a number or word that was said to him only minutes before....even after drilling them. We are struggling through phonics and doing Saxon math...which he loves hands-on stuff. I also have some developmental books and building thinking skills books.

I'm wondering about some of the abbreviations that have been used in this thread...for example

what is o-g? Are there other methods/programs/materials that you have used and would highly recommend? I love the classical method of learning and I'm wondering if it is truly possible with children who have learning disabilities. Somewhere...I think on another thread I read that you just have to take it very slow.

I may have rambled a bit here, but I'm open to suggestions. This is new territory for me. My own children learned very easily and so this is taking me down a completely different road. I would love input on what has worked for you.

Thanks!

Nancy

I have similar feelings about Dianne Craft, however I'll add one thing. I have heard from a couple Orton-Gillingham tutors that she recommends NOT using OG for dyslexia. She says that it doesn't work, they need her "right brain" methods. Has she done her research? While OG might not work for ALL children, it works for the majority.

We spent MONTHS working with a PT that raved about Brain Gym (like Dianne's figure 8 exercises) and all that it would do to help my oldest with his dyslexia. We waited and waited to see improvement and nothing changed. Then we found OG and in weeks he was making progress that we had never seen before. My only regret was that we didn't find OG first.

We spent MONTHS working with a PT that raved about Brain Gym (like Dianne's figure 8 exercises) and all that it would do to help my oldest with his dyslexia. We waited and waited to see improvement and nothing changed. Then we found OG and in weeks he was making progress that we had never seen before. My only regret was that we didn't find OG first.

Same here..wished I had started VT last year and LiPs..oh well

Same here..wished I had started VT last year and LiPs..oh well

VT and LiPs???

Thanks!:001_smile:

I wonder if Alphabet Island is right brained. Someone was telling me that the cutesy little stories acted as pegs and their 7 yo is finally sounding out words. It looks terribly more difficult to remember, but I can totally see it working for my lefty that can't sound out words.

I have most of her stuff and it seemed to help my DD quite a bit. I have watched all of her videos and heard her CD's. Yes she is very big on diet and supplements. It helped me understand my DD and her needs.

My son was doing Brain Gym as well and some of the techniques were used like D. Craft. such as the figure 8, crossing the midline, eye exercises.

Her method is not for everyone though.

I have most of her stuff and it seemed to help my DD quite a bit. I have watched all of her videos and heard her CD's. Yes she is very big on diet and supplements. It helped me understand my DD and her needs.

My son was doing Brain Gym as well and some of the techniques were used like D. Craft. such as the figure 8, crossing the midline, eye exercises.

Her method is not for everyone though.

From what you describe, it seems that her materials might also be good for families without access to OT. The figure 8, crossing the midline, and eye excercises are all things that our OT worked on. I am also not against modifying diet and using supplements to help, either (after we move we may do a dairy/gluten free diet for some of us.) My ds has pretty severe issues that go well beyond "learning differences" so that colors my thinking some.

I have similar feelings about Dianne Craft, however I'll add one thing. I have heard from a couple Orton-Gillingham tutors that she recommends NOT using OG for dyslexia. She says that it doesn't work, they need her "right brain" methods. Has she done her research? While OG might not work for ALL children, it works for the majority.

Oh I would love to see that one in writing. O/G has a very long and proven track record. I have seen her stuff and it wouldn't have worked here. (For those who don't know I am an auditory/visual dyslexic with kids of varying similar issues.)

I agree that she is really trying to help. Of all the people who have packaged their thing and sold it, her prices are much more reasonable than most, and she seems to dedicate a lot of time to people.

That said my interpretation was that her area of expertize is children who have mid-line problems (problems with one side of the brain communicating with the other) and allergy behavioral problems. That is a pretty narrow area of expertize.

I don't see her as a dyslexia expert. Dyslexia is the catch phrase for any reading problem, which would include problems caused by mid-line issues and behavioral problems, two areas she deals with. All these source issues are difficult to tease out. Is it mid-line, eye problems or a processing problem (other than mid-line)? The true list is much longer, but hat is just for starters.

I had my kids try the test activities, and they didn't really have problems with them, other than normal this is new type stuff. I figured they didn't have mid-line issues and walked away. My dh would never agree to trying out the dietary issues, because he would want to see a study proving it was beneficial and not harmful, and there aren't any. There ended our trying her materials.

Heather

ADHD is not caused by any diet or yeasts. Otherwise it wouldn't have such a strong family component. Also, the Human Genome project found last fall that there are genetic differences on a certain chromosome in people with ADHD- those weren't caused by diets.

Yes but allergies can cause behavior problems that look like ADHD, just like vision problems (teaming, tracking, etc...) can mimic dyslexia, but isn't a processing problem. Given the child hasn't been officially diagnosed it is possible it is another root cause mimicking ADHD.

Heather