Menu

Mattress---how do I get one we will be happy with?

It has been 10-11 years since dh and I bought our bed. We loved it until recently but now we are waking up with back pain, etc. Both of us are on the plus size so we are looking for a King size bed that will work for us.

My mom has a Select Comfort bed and she loves it but isn't the King bed basically like 2 twins next to each other---meaning that hard ridge in the middle? That would make cuddling more difficult as I wouldn't want to be laying on that. I spend about 1/2 the night cuddled up close to dh and then about 1/2 the time way on "my" side of the bed.

Any ideas of places to shop? How to get a good deal? How to find one that we will LIKE---it isn't the easiest to "try" out a mattress when you are out in a showroom with the salesperson watching :lol:

It is very hard to comparision shop as I only buy these every 10 years or so and each place as their own name/models, etc. so you have no clue how mattress A compares to B or if they are the same thing just with different names.

We wanted a Tempurpedic, but didn't want to spend the money. So we tried them out at our local furniture store, figured out which model we liked, and then bought a knock off from an online place that had a awesome guarantee and shipped directly to your house. This is the one we bought. I was really nervous about doing it (what if I don't like it? What if it doesn't feel like the Tempurpedic? And on and on and on...), but my dh convinced me and it ended up being a great decision. We love the mattress and we saved a ton of money.

I just posted about this recently. One of them is still on the first four or five pages I think or you could look under my posts and find them. I will try to link them here in a minute too.

ETA: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249225 & http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246167

Edited by KidsHappen

We have two twins because the bed frame we ended up with was two twin frames and mattresses when my brother left them at our house and i wanted to get rid of my mother's old waterbed we had.

We bought new mattresses last year, and again went with twins. We have no problems with the edges. I don't even notice them. Plus we've found having the twins makes moving so much easier. (We've moved the old/new mattresses 5 times in 10 years). Easier to physically move them, easier on the mattresses, and easier on the walls we'd be scraping up trying to get the mattressess around corners and stairs. One house we never would have gotten a regular king into our room.

We do have a belt that goes around the two mattresses that holds them together, but somewhere along the way we stopped using it, and it hasn't even mattered. I think the older mattress covering was slipperier than our current ones.

We ordered one of these in the twin size for my dd and she now has the most comfortable bed in the house. We got it over a year ago and have never had a problem with it. My mom tried it out and bought one for her bed too, but she got the thicker version, and she loves it. They're super comfortable. :) Good luck finding a mattress that works for you. :) Waking up with back pain is no fun. :(

We got rid of our queen regular mattress and bought

an air mattress. Love it, my back does not hurt in the mornings and I fall to sleep a lot faster.

We have a twin one for DD and she loves. it, they are a lot cheaper now than they used to be.

saved a lot of money

the queen cost 149.00 at walmart beauty rest one. love it.

My mom has a Select Comfort bed and she loves it but isn't the King bed basically like 2 twins next to each other---meaning that hard ridge in the middle? That would make cuddling more difficult as I wouldn't want to be laying on that. I spend about 1/2 the night cuddled up close to dh and then about 1/2 the time way on "my" side of the bed.

I absolutely love our Select Comfort bed. The ridge in the center isn't hard at all. It's made of firm foam, and I would think on a king size it would be hardly noticeable. If anything, it might just make your cuddle a bit more cuddly, cause it would support your back while you leaned on your dh.

I actually love the ridge when I'm in the bed by myself. If I lie at an angle across it, on my side, it nestles perfectly into the side of my waist, supporting my back perfectly.

Another great thing about the Select Comfort beds is the warranty. We've had ours for 20 years, and it hasn't had any problems. It is the same as the day we bought it, even after being moved to three different houses (in three different states). Someone posted that mattresses are only meant to last 8-10 years. That is not true of a Select Comfort mattress. They have a 20 year warranty.

Have you slept in your mom's bed? Would she let you have trial run?

We really, really love our IKEA bed and it was total $500 or $600 for a King, that included everything. They have all different types of mattresses in the store and you can try them all out.

The only downsides are that it's a bit low and the slats are NOT made to withstand jumping on. When young children visit, we keep our door closed and our children are told no standing or jumping on our bed ever. (More important when we first got it and they were 2 and 5, but even now they have to be occasionally reminded that it's not even good to walk on it.) Young friends that visit often are shown the tiny little wooden slats and informed that they will not get on the bed because we do not want to drive 6 hours to get new slats. We normally don't let anyone play in our bedroom anyway, but we like to be on the safe side with frequent visitors and little people.

When we finally decided to spend money on a decent mattress we bought a Simmons Beautyrest - Dual Comfort. My husband's side is firm and mine is medium. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I hope they're still available when we need to replace it in 10-15 years!