Menu

What do you give and receive positive rep for?

I have been thinking about this whole rep thing and realized that I probably don't give enough rep. I know that I certainly don't use my "quota" everyday. I generally don't give rep for answering a question, providing info or just having the same opinion as me. If I agree with someone or think that they have said something useful, I usually just state that in the thread. That is just the way things were done on the old board (we didn't have rep) so that is the way I am used to doing it. I guess that I am an old fuddy-duddy who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I have given rep to people that I just found to be generally helpful or kind, people who have made well reasoned arguments or points (even if I didn't necessarily agree with them), people who furthered a conversation (once again even if I didn't agree with them), people who were particularly kind or who stood up to people who were rude or out of line, and occasionally just to brighten the day of someone who was having a rough time or bad day. I frequently find that these are the same people over and over so I am told that I have to spread it around.

I have mostly received rep for well reasoned arguments or something that was well said. I will sometimes receive several positive reps for the same thread. I have received rep from people who were just being kind or trying to brighten my day. I have also received rep for being kind or helpful.

I think that I am probably receiving more than I am giving though and I would like to change that. I would like to give more rep to more people so, please help this introvert learn to socialize better (I went to public school by the way :) ). I am wondering what do you give and receive rep for?

I have been thinking about this whole rep thing and realized that I probably don't give enough rep. I know that I certainly don't use my "quota" everyday. I generally don't give rep for answering a question, providing info or just having the same opinion as me. If I agree with someone or think that they have said something useful, I usually just state that in the thread. That is just the way things were done on the old board (we didn't have rep) so that is the way I am used to doing it. I guess that I am an old fuddy-duddy who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I have given rep to people that I just found to be generally helpful or kind, people who have made well reasoned arguments or points (even if I didn't necessarily agree with them), people who furthered a conversation (once again even if I didn't agree with them), people who were particularly kind or who stood up to people who were rude or out of line, and occasionally just to brighten the day of someone who was having a rough time or bad day. I frequently find that these are the same people over and over so I am told that I have to spread it around.

I have mostly received rep for well reasoned arguments or something that was well said. I will sometimes receive several positive reps for the same thread. I have received rep from people who were just being kind or trying to brighten my day. I have also received rep for being kind or helpful.

I think that I am probably receiving more than I am giving though and I would like to change that. I would like to give more rep to more people so, please help this introvert learn to socialize better (I went to public school by the way :) ). I am wondering what do you give and receive rep for?

Fully agree with you! I haven't given it out too much, I just recently started. I thought at first it was mainly for the sale and swap boards. After seeing all the green boxes, guess I was wrong!

Heather

I give them for answering a question, helpful information, being a good person, or saying something that totally rings a bell for me.

But sometimes I forget to give them out too. I did give out a bunch at first for people I have always found helpful on the old boards so they would know how much I appreciated their help and opinions most of these had nothing to do with the post I gave the positives for.

:001_smile:

I'm also a "come lately" to the rep thing. I use it as a "thank you" to people who have taken time to give information. None of us is required to, and a thoughtful response took someone's time. I have also used it when someone made me laugh or when I think someone really hit the nail on the head.

I've been given it primarily when someone agrees with me about something I've written, or when I've been helpful to someone. I find that I'm most likely to get rep when posting on the general board. Other boards use it less.

I have given and recieved rep for all the reasons mentioned, and sometimes for goofy ones. One person repped me to compliment my hair. That was really sweet :001_smile: I have at times repped people just because I liked their screen name.

I like to use it to send an encouraging personal note of appreciation for people's contributions on this board. Lately, I have been watching for opportunities to rep some of the newer members and people who have few posts. ;)

It really is a fun game for many of us.

Great posts, helpful thoughts and ideas, people who seem to need hugs and encouragement, thanks for people who assist, support and encourage community members.

:iagree: I has also given it to the posts that make me think... I may not agree with the post, but it still gets my old brain ticking.

Posts that are obviously well-thought out and look like they took a lot of time to write; excellent points or additions to other posts, sometimes great humor (although I get annoyed that I didn't think of the joke or comment first! ;) ) and sometimes just to cheer up a poster obviously having a bad day.

I don't remember why, :lol: but I didn't sign my name. It was the first time I had given someone rep points and then the thread came out about anonymous rep. I realized I was doing it without knowing. :lol: Usually, i give someone +rep when I think someone has stated something extremely well, or has gone above and beyond, or who has been especially kind.

I have given and recieved rep for all the reasons mentioned, and sometimes for goofy ones. One person repped me to compliment my hair. That was really sweet :001_smile: I have at times repped people just because I liked their screen name.

I like to use it to send an encouraging personal note of appreciation for people's contributions on this board. Lately, I have been watching for opportunities to rep some of the newer members and people who have few posts. ;)

It really is a fun game for many of us.

I've been doing this, too. It's fun to rep the new people.:001_smile:

I don't remember why, :lol: but I didn't sign my name. It was the first time I had given someone rep points and then the thread came out about anonymous rep. I realized I was doing it without knowing. :lol: Usually, i give someone +rep when I think someone has stated something extremely well, or has gone above and beyond, or who has been especially kind.

Thanks Marie. :) I didn't actually see it because I hadn't been checking them very often either. I guess it hasn't really been on my radar, probably because of the previously mentioned fact that we didn't used to have it and I am not accustomed to it. I have been checking it the past few days as the rep subject has come up and I really appreciate all that I have received. Even if I didn't see them, they still made my reputation (I guess) go up, right?

I give rep for all sorts of reasons. When someone makes me laugh, when they participate in a good discussion, when they offer good advice, when they a answer a question I asked (although sometimes I run out of rep there but I try), all sorts of reasons. It's just a nice, fun thing to do.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me.

I have at times repped people just because I liked their screen name.

Hey, I thought I was the only one who did this!

I go through long periods when I forget rep exists, so I'm pretty inconsistent about the whole thing.

I give positive rep for all manner of things, most of which has been mentioned by others in this thread. I primarily use it as a means to thank people for thoughtful contributions to conversations ~ even those in which I don't openly participate. (Such was the case last night, when I repped you.:)) I particularly notice when people who aren't very vocal come to the fore. Now and then I just share the love for the sake of sharin' the love.:D I've received positive rep for all kinds of stuff; it just runs the gammut.