Menu

making bread without

a food processor, a mixer with a dough hook, and a bread machine... It seems like most every recipe I find says to use at least one of those but I don't own any of those. Do you have any favorite books or resources for making bread 'the old fashioned way'? I feel like I am wasting so much time going thru so many recipes that won't work for me. I could do it by hand if the recipe would describe the dough, but most just say to process for x minutes.

Thanks!

Laurel's Bread Book is one of the best books about making bread that I have ever read. It has a great variety of whole wheat/whole grain recipes, has terrific instructions and how-tos. My local library has a copy - maybe yours does too??

For an entirely different process, you could also try "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" - no machines needed and extremely easy. There is also a "Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a day" book. Again, my library carries these.

Anne

Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day doesn't use a processor or a mixer at all. It makes wet doughs that you mix by hand and rise partway on your counter and partway in the fridge.

e.

:iagree: It is the easiest recipe and the bread comes out great. Last week I made the basic recipe and added Rosemary and garlic after the first rise. I got rave reviews from everyone. Yum!

I found this one in a bread book while on holiday in the Philippines. We had no measuring cups (let alone mixers etc) so I have recorded it in very casual format, but it works every time, and is no hassle at all to make. Both on that holiday and on a later "beach holiday" I have made it in the morning after my first cup of coffee, and been able to make it to eat warm at lunch. It is only kneaded once, and goes into a cold oven. Can't beat that for ease!

Add a heaped teaspoon instant yeast to 250 ml warm water - leave 10 mins.

Add 1 tsp salt & about 1.5 cups flour - mix (with spoon or hand) until you get a dough that is just past the sticky stage.

(Adjust flour as needed - if you don't know what a bread dough should feel like, this might be tricky)

Knead 10 mins.

Leave to rise in well-oiled bowl, under an oiled piece of plastic - 2+ hours, until double in volume

Gently pick up the dough and toss in floured hands to elongate into a short French-loaf shape

Place the loaf on a pan dusted with cornflour (or flour if that's all you have)

Make slices in the top of the loaf, about an inch apart

Leave for 10 mins

Wet top & place in COLD oven with a bowl of boiling water.

Set the oven to 200C, bake 40 mins (until it sounds hollow when tapped and is lightly brown)

Ask around and see if you can find a real life friend to come over and show you. It's easy-peasy to do, not as easy to describe exactly how the bread dough should feel.

I mix the ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon. I don't add all of the flour at once, I just add and stir until it makes a sticky ball that holds together.

Dump the whole mess on a floured board or clean floured counter. Sprinkle a generous handful of flour over the top. Knead by hand for several minutes until the dough feels springy and elastic under your hands. If it starts to get sticky, sprinkle more flour under and on top--not a teeny sprinkle, not a whole handful.

As you knead, it will become more smooth and elastic. The finished dough should not be sticky or dry, and should spring back when you poke it with your finger. My mom used to say to knead "until it's as smooth as a baby's bottom!" (And her mom told her the same. My boys think it's very funny and like to pat the baby. LOL) It takes practice to get the feel of it, but (imo) once you get the feel of perfectly kneaded dough under your hands you won't want an electric mixer anyway!

Then you move on to the rising. :)

Now that I think of it, I'll bet you could find a YouTube video of someone kneading bread. You could also try finding a basic beginner how-to book at the library. They often have directions for making bread by hand.

Cat

a food processor, a mixer with a dough hook, and a bread machine...

Substitute hands and knead for about 5-10 minutes. Add the minimum amount of flour in recipe. If it feels sticky, add more. Keep adding flour till it isn't sticky and then knead.

My recipe is:

1 T. yeast

2 cups hot water

@ 2+ T. of something sweet--honey, molasses, maple syrup

Let that proof (show yeast is alive).

Then add about 5-6 cups flour. I usually substitute 1 cup of oats and go half and half white flour to wheat. Add 1-2 teaspoons of salt.

Then I knead for about 5 minutes. Put in oiled pan (or more than one pan, can make smaller loaves). Let rise about 1 hour. Bake about half hour till is very firm to touch, brown, and sounds kind of hollow when you knock on it.

Edited by woolybear
forgot ingredient