Menu

Amazing Race starts tonight!

We watched this as a family to supplement our geography and cultural studies. It was a blast! So, I just wanted to pass on the info to you lovely people. Tonight is easy, because I have no idea where they are going. We do snacks and grab a globe :D. Then next week, we will do foods from the country the contestants are in and talk about the culture of that country.

Just thought I would share! (again ;))

CBS 7pm CST

We love this show! When my kids were little, I was more leery of the contestants, and it wasn't regular tv fare at my house. (Just my warning for those with littles who may feel as I did.)

We've been looking forward to tonight's show for a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to most of the contestants, but I'll have to scream if Mallory starts in on her phony/whiny enthusiasm though. :glare: We'll never forget her comment, "AH lahk Chrissmuss!" from last season.

Is it a family friendly show? (I've never watched it)

I wanted to take some time with my response to this. Have you ever read Charlotte Mason's reasoning behind why fairytales are important for kids. To paraphrase it gives them a way to "touch" evil, in a fictional sense...and then bridge to real life. For example, When my kids where around 4 it would be difficult for them to understand "pedophile" and why taking candy from strangers is bad. If I correlate that to Hansel and Gretyle, I give them a stepping stone of comprehension.

I take a similar position with the amazing race. These are real people, and they bring their issues/choices, good/bad to the show. This has provided so much good and healthy conversations for us! We may not know a "real life" beauty queen, but thru Mallory we get to experience a Southern Belle. I hope that makes sense.

FYI: My boys have been shocked at how some of the men talk to their SO's! We have been able to discuss controlling our temper and other appropriate ways of dealing with stressful situations. You could say we also use it as a "character study."

It really depends on the family, kids ages, what you consider appropriate, etc...

You can read a review here that may address some concerns.

Doesn't sound very family friendly. Too bad, but no surprise, coming from television. We will pass:

Quote:

What's also there, though, is bickering, backbiting, backstabbing and general blathering on about all manner of subjects that don't do much to enhance the National Geographic nature of these far-flung expeditions. Profanity laces some of the teams' dialogue. And morality doesn't always board the plane along with the players when it comes to the lifestyles they represent. Unmarried couples who live together, for instance, are typical. As are homosexual couples.

Some of the game's "roadblocks" and other mini-contests have involved skimpy swimsuits or even stripping down to your underwear. And while we've seen teams treat locals well, we've also seen them paint America with a awful blend of anger, impatience and arrogance. It's a race, true. But should being in a race mean you set aside all human decency to make it to the finish line first? True sportsmen would tell you no. But reality TV is teaching us—and its participants, too—that "just a game" means "I get to do whatever I want." And, frankly, the crazier things a person does, the more camera time he or she gets. The Amazing Race, despite its reputation for being cleaner than many and more educational than most, is no exception to the rule in that regard.

TV stinks.

Doesn't sound very family friendly. Too bad, but no surprise, coming from television. We will pass:

Quote:

What's also there, though, is bickering, backbiting, backstabbing and general blathering on about all manner of subjects that don't do much to enhance the National Geographic nature of these far-flung expeditions. Profanity laces some of the teams' dialogue. And morality doesn't always board the plane along with the players when it comes to the lifestyles they represent. Unmarried couples who live together, for instance, are typical. As are homosexual couples.

Some of the game's "roadblocks" and other mini-contests have involved skimpy swimsuits or even stripping down to your underwear. And while we've seen teams treat locals well, we've also seen them paint America with a awful blend of anger, impatience and arrogance. It's a race, true. But should being in a race mean you set aside all human decency to make it to the finish line first? True sportsmen would tell you no. But reality TV is teaching us—and its participants, too—that "just a game" means "I get to do whatever I want." And, frankly, the crazier things a person does, the more camera time he or she gets. The Amazing Race, despite its reputation for being cleaner than many and more educational than most, is no exception to the rule in that regard.

TV stinks.

No, I find it very educational. I don't know what they are baseing the review on, but lasts season's female Dr.'s (one of which being insulin dependent), were nowhere near setting "asside all human decency to make it to the finish line first." I'm sorry, that is not an accurate review.

I wanted to take some time with my response to this. Have you ever read Charlotte Mason's reasoning behind why fairytales are important for kids. To paraphrase it gives them a way to "touch" evil, in a fictional sense...and then bridge to real life. For example, When my kids where around 4 it would be difficult for them to understand "pedophile" and why taking candy from strangers is bad. If I correlate that to Hansel and Gretyle, I give them a stepping stone of comprehension.

I take a similar position with the amazing race. These are real people, and they bring their issues/choices, good/bad to the show. This has provided so much good and healthy conversations for us! We may not know a "real life" beauty queen, but thru Mallory we get to experience a Southern Belle. I hope that makes sense.

FYI: My boys have been shocked at how some of the men talk to their SO's! We have been able to discuss controlling our temper and other appropriate ways of dealing with stressful situations. You could say we also use it as a "character study."

:iagree:

Quote:

TV stinks.

While a lot of that is true, there are also many good, well-behaved people on the show. (see below). And the part about the skimpy swimsuits--that would be the contestants' choice (as are many of the other issues), not something that the show requires, which seems to be implied in that sentence. Stripping down to your underwear--again, usually a choice. Although there were no tighty-whities involved, just boxers. :)

No, I find it very educational. I don't know what they are baseing the review on, but lasts season's female Dr.'s (one of which being insulin dependent), were nowhere near setting "asside all human decency to make it to the finish line first." I'm sorry, that is not an accurate review.

I watched last season on the abc.com website because we don't have cable/tv. A user on youtube.com was on the show. I ended up loving the show! It is so fun and I actually was going to try this season to watch with my kids.

I would suggest that you go to abc.com on Mondays and watch the eposide first to see if it is acceptable for your family.

The review above is not accurate from my point of view. Bascially the review only covers parts of the show, but failed to talk about all the good things the show covers. Last season there was a group of guys who liked to sing about everything and were the most positive people I've ever seen, no matter what was happening. They actually helped other teams out a lot. I did see a lot of stressed out people thats for sure! Sometimes they were not behaving in their right minds, you could tell -- but at the sametime some of them who were still just as stressed out handled themselfs just fine. Particullary the Dr's from last season! They were awesome. A lot of the users transformed over the course of the show and it was overall fun to watch.

Actually, I found the review woefully inadequate. It's not "family friendly" by any stretch. It's often quite offensive, with flamboyant, in-your-face, rude people, pottymouths, women with booKs hanging out everywhere, and those who regularly verbally abuse their boy/girlfriends.

There are also normal, regular teams who are interesting and fun to watch. Sometimes, it's a surprise to find the normal people are even those in the paragraph above. Dd and I find the team dynamics at least as interesting as the geography. I've only started letting my ds watch it in the past year or two.

I wish Dan and Jordan could compete again, and I loved Rob and Amber from eons ago, along with Brooke and Claire from last season. Tonight's show was good; I don't think I cringed at all. I can't believe who's in last place at this point. :0

Simka, thank you for your thoughts!

So, we watched it and it was just ok. I really didn't like all the constantly changing different camera shots..they didn't seem to stay in any scene for more than 5 seconds. Are all the shows that style?

Yes, and No. As the teams wittle down you get more time in certain scenes. My least favorite episode of every season is the first couple. People get eliminated so fast!!! it gets fun as it gets down to the last few teams.

Tonight, we briefly talked about Australian history, British influence, sending messages via flags (growing up on sailboats this was an important skill).

We talked about team dynamics. The kids thought they were "cheating" by telling the codes, so we discussed "alliances." Oh, and the heart attack was a great illustration of life not being fair ;).

Actually, I found the review woefully inadequate. It's not "family friendly" by any stretch. It's often quite offensive, with flamboyant, in-your-face, rude people, pottymouths, women with booKs hanging out everywhere, and those who regularly verbally abuse their boy/girlfriends.

There are also normal, regular teams who are interesting and fun to watch. Sometimes, it's a surprise to find the normal people are even those in the paragraph above. Dd and I find the team dynamics at least as interesting as the geography. I've only started letting my ds watch it in the past year or two.

:0

I did watch it last night and couldn't make it through it. It's just not something I'd ever have my kid watch; my kid is 10. I didn't want to explain the guy that looks like a girl hetero or not. But I definitely I agree; not family friendly. Too bad they gotta mix what could be good with the extreme strange and morally offensive. But that's typical tv nowdays.

Edited by alilac
typo

I'm sorry, that is not an accurate review.

Reviews of shows, movies, music, etc are generally someone's personal opinions, thoughts, etc about what they've watched/listened to/etc... You may have a different opinion - and would therefore write a different review - but I don't think that means that THIS review is inaccurate. It's what that the reviewer saw, got from it, thought about it...

We love the show and watched it faithfully for the first few years, then our Sunday evenings got busy and we forgot. I have never considered not letting my children watch, and we use it as a nice jumping off point for discussions about people, families, cultures and geography. Never thought of actually using it to plan a geography curriculum.