Menu

How do you fly a cat across the country?

How do you fly a cat across the country...besides in a plane?:D That much I know. There will be a time in the near future where I will need to get a cat that is in North Carolina to Oregon. What do we need to know? What do we need to do? Is is better to be on the same flight as the cat, but have it in the heated cargo area or in the passenger cabin? I am hesitant to travel with the cat in the passenger cabin for the sake of the other passengers. What does it cost approximately? For those of you who have had a cat make a long flight, how did the cat do?

roflol...

meanwhile, in real life, dh flew from ottawa canada to LAX with our two cats, and our golden retriever. each one had their own hardsided crate approved by the airlines. we fed them the night before, like always, and again the following night, only in a different country and place! they did have water that next morning... its a long time to go without....

a member of the crew came down the moving walkway onto the luggage carrosel with the two cats! they had worried about them, but they were fine.

our golden was great; much better than when she flew from London England to Ottawa!

each time, the pets were in the cargo hold and we were on the same plane.

good luck!

ann

We've flown with our pet several times. Most airlines accept pets... just call in advance and make a reservation for them at the same time you purchase your airline tickets. Most airlines charge a $50 fee and will allow your pet to fly in the cabin as long as the cage will fit under the seat in front of you. If it doesn't they'll fly down in cargo hold. Our vet prescribes an anti-anxiety drug that we give about an hour before our flight so that he sleeps the majority of the way there.

If you are not flying with your pet there are several pet shipping services available. http://www.happytailstravel.com/

for the cat to fly with us under the seat in front of us. No problems ... we had some meds from the vet if they were needed - to make the cat sleepy. We ended up not using them. FYI - Delta only allows two pets per flight in-cabin. We had to fly Delta that time because, believe it or not, we were flying with a hamster too and Delta is the only airline that allows hamsters in cabin. That in and of itself is not a big deal other than we paid a $100 fee for her to fly. Ouch!

We've also flown our Boston Terrier in the cabin with us on United - same cost - we used the meds on her.

Oh and when we were flying with the big, long haired cat, I did ask the woman next to me if she was ok with the cat under the seat in front of me ... Since there were 5 of us flying, I could've moved the cat if she were allergic or afraid of animals. She wasn't! Lucky for us!

If you are flying during the summer or winter, the airlines won't accept animals if the final destination or lay-overs are having temp extremes (since the cargo holds are not temp regulated like the cabins). I can't remember the exact cut-off ... it's for the animals' safety.

If you are flying during the summer or winter, the airlines won't accept animals if the final destination or lay-overs are having temp extremes (since the cargo holds are not temp regulated like the cabins). I can't remember the exact cut-off ... it's for the animals' safety.

This depends, actually. Some airlines *do* have a climate controlled area and ship pets year-round within CONUS.

One thing to know about carrying pets on board is that most airlines only allow one or two animals in the cabin for a flight and it is first come-first serve on *each* flight. That can be difficult if you change planes.

How do you fly a cat across the country?

My first thought, on a broom. :D

Will your mother-in-law be flying out too? If so, bringing the cat with her on the plane would be the cheapest and easiest. She can get a sedative from her vet which might be a good idea. That's for the cat and not your MIL. :lol: Maine Coons are awesome!!!

Thank you all for the information and the laughs. Sadly, my MIL, at 90yo of age, is past making a cross country trip with a 20lb cat. A couple of years ago after the death of my FIL, this diminutive dynamo of a matriarch went through a period of depression. Someone at her retirement home suggested that she get a pet. So Mom ended up with this enormous, charming, all-black Maine Coon named Nigel. He has been wonderful for Mom keeping her company and walking up and down the halls with her. Unfortunately with time Mom has gotten a bit forgetful and more than a bit stubborn. She feels sorry for Nigel, who is declawed, and lets him go outside from her patio into the green space. The cat has made an enemy of a neighbor by persisting on sleeping in the man's flower garden. Mom still lets him out even though her 6 children have told her not to. Yesterday, Nigel went onto the patio of another neighbor who tired to shoo him away. The elderly lady fell into some bushes in the process and got scratched from the bushes. Mom has decided to give him up.

This is where dh and I come in. Dh is rather smitten with Nigel and we had already talked about taking him when Mom was no longer able to care for him. I was hoping Mom would be able to keep him another year because he brings her so much happiness, but she is stressed by the conflict she feels at keeping him inside. She knows he will be an inside cat at our house, but that he will have way more room to run around. She also told me that since she knows we are "silly cat people" that Nigel has a home for life.:tongue_smilie:

Our cats are elderly and were supposed to be in cat heaven before Nigel joined our household. Somehow going from owning two cats to three seems to cross the border of normal to eccentric. I think I will be the one to go and retrieve him, but given his size, he will probably have to go in the cargo hold. Wonder how Nigel feels about tequila? I know I will probably need some.

I can't remember the price...maybe $125? We had to ship my brother's cat from Atlanta to Alaska (and back again). It was hard b/c of temperature regulations, so I'd ask right away coming into spring. It had to be warmer than something like 45 degrees in Alaska but cooler than 65 here in Atlanta...hard combo to find! Not sure about Oregon's weather, but thought I'd toss it out there.

I'm afraid she's going to miss Nigel terribly once he's gone. What a shame she can't abide by keeping him indoors. It's wonderful that you'll be taking him in though. :)

To help the chances that he'll be allowed on the plane with you instead of in the cargo hold, you may want to find who allows the most pounds, and then get from them the dimensions under the seat, or whatever area the cage needs to fit into, and then get a carrier based on that info. For example, you may find that it's okay for the carrier to be longer, but not too high - which would work fine for a sleeping Maine Coon - whether tequila or vet approved meds are used. :)

Having three cats is a blast! Once you get over the "two is the maximum" thinking, you may find you're even considering a fourth. :lol: