Menu

If I am interested in an e-reader, which one do I want?

I got a Nook Color on Saturday. I've had a Sony and a regular Nook. I LOVE my Nook Color, and can't see myself getting rid of it. :-) It's much more fun than the other two I've had. I don't think Netflix works on it though. I haven't tried. I've been too busy reading! HA! Oh, and my kids LOVE to use it. I had to leave them in the truck for a quick minute today when I was running errands. When I came back out, they were listening to a book about animals being read to them! They're all plenty old enough to read it themselves, apparently it's more fun to listen when they have the opportunity? ;-)

With an iPad, you can: use the iBooks, Nook, and Kindle apps to download and read e-books (the apps are free, and there are lots of free older books in the iBooks store, from Homer to Shakespeare), check your email, surf the web (fwiw, I'm browsing these boards and typing this reply using my iPad), send and receive text messages, listen to podcasts and take advantage of iTunes U, use lot of neat educational apps, and lots of other apps that are practical (calendars, financial trackers, etc) or just plain fun (my dd has a plethora of game apps). If it's a possibility with your budget, it is a really practical tool, as well as a really fun toy. My dd has become interested in astronomy lately, so she uses it to stream astronomy documentaries via Netflix. I love it. It's not just an e-reader. It has a thousand and one uses.

I think you first need to decide your budget and how well you like reading on a computer screen. If you can comfortably read on a computer screen for an hour or two without eyestrain, then you might like the Nook Color or an iPad. Budget is another consideration; even if you don't mind reading on a backlit (computer) screen, you may or may not want to spend as much as an iPad or even a Nook Color costs. The black and white e-ink readers are significantly less expensive.

I personally prefer to read books on a dedicated e-reader using e-ink. I have the new version of the Kindle, and I'm quite happy with it, but I think I'd also be happy with a Nook or a Sony. I'm told that the newest Kindle versions have greater contrast than the current Nooks or Sonys, but I don't personally know how true that is. I like that the Kindle is fairly light, so I can read in bed and hold it comfortably. Our iPad is much, much heavier, and to read that in bed, I'd have to sit up higher and support it somehow. I also prefer to read with the e-ink technology before bed because I find it more restful to not look at a backlit screen. Plus, I've read that computer-screen light is disruptive to circadian rhythms, so if you read before sleep, this might be something to consider.

You can check email on a Kindle (don't know about Nook or Sony), but it's not so easy to do. You have to use the kind of clunky web browser that it has. In an emergency, it would be fine, though. On an iPad, email is obviously easy to use.

We started out with one Kindle, and we have expanded to two Kindles and an iPad. We use the Kindles for reading, and the iPad for more computer-type uses. It's also nice for reading the news on in the morning, plus we use it sometimes for school (to watch a video or something). Both the Kindle and the iPad get a lot of use in our house.

My best advice is to figure out what you'll be using it for most, and then go from there.

I really like my Kindle. It is thin, light, goes about three weeks without needing to be charged, holds tons of books, is comfortable on the eyes . . . and it was very affordable imo. It cannot check out library books, but my library does not have that service at this time. If checking out library books on an ereader is important to you then you may want to look at another device. All the books I have on my Kindle, except for one, have been downloaded for free.

Adrianne in IL

Edited by jelbe5

I have a nook color & love it. If I were getting an eink ereader, I'd get a nook. You can't use the kindle for library ebooks. All of the feaatures I love on the nook color are available on an ipad, if you are considering that. Nook color doesn't do much video, although b&n may add better video soon. But if you think you'll use it for movies much, the larger size of the ipad would be nice. The nook color fits easily in my purse though.

As others have mentioned, you need to decide whether you want an eink or an LCD screen. I read my first ebook on an iPad, and enjoyed the experience, but felt that it was tiring to my eyes. That's when I started researching ereaders. I ended up choosing a Sony Reader. My Sony Reader screen is no more fatiguing to my eyes than reading a paper book. I love it!

I chose a Sony Reader over Kindle because I wanted to be able to be able to borrow library ebooks (Overdrive system). If your library doesn't have an Overdrive subscription, a few libraries will allow you to purchase a card for a modest fee. I also find the Sony's touch screen interface to be much easier and more intuitive to use than Kindle's keyboard. (An onscreen touch keyboard does pop up if needed, much like on the iPad.)

I chose the Sony over the Nook and the Kobo because I prefer the newer Pearl screen technology (like Kindle3), and because it is a more "mature" product line.

If you want to see/handle a Sony Reader, Borders and Best Buy stock them. If you have a Sony retail store nearby, obviously they'll have it too.

Browse the Mobile Read forums for more opinions. (There's a forum for everything!) The Sony subforum is here, and the Which one should I buy? subforum is here.

Edited by jplain

Where do you think is the best place to compare these, on one site? I am overwhelmed. I have a friend who swears by her Nook, and others love Kindle. I honestly don't even know the main differences. Broad overview. I think my friend with the Nook color said it can do web browsing and email, too, which would be very attractive to me. But the Kindle does not? THANKS!

After you do a bit of research online and know the basics about each model, go somewhere like Best Buy to play with them. It really helps to hold each one in your hands, and to see how it works. You may be able to narrow down your choice just by doing this. There is really a difference in the size and feel of each one, as well as things like how pages are turned, touch screen or not, etc...

Oh, and do Kindle and Nook use the same tye of files? Could I buy the 50 Classic Books for Nook on borders, and use that on a kindle? Same type of file?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/50-Classic-Books/Various/e/2940011819445/?itm=1&USRI=50+classics+nook

No, those won't open on a Kindle. But you can get a lot of classics for free for Kindle directly through Amazon. There are tons available at the Google ebookstore for free too, though they're not always formatted as nicely.

I knew I wanted an eInk device and I first bought the Nook because I wanted to check out library books. We have a pretty tech savy library, but the demand for the books is still outweighing supply. For most books I wanted I was #20-30 on the list. So at 1-3 weeks per person (and only 1 or 2 digital copies of the book), I was looking at nearly a year to get the books I was interested in. I'm sure once you get going in the queue (and assuming you can stay on top of it), it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

But after one night with the Nook, I returned it (thank you Best Buy!) the next day and bought the Kindle. The Kindle is IMO so much lighter, thinner, and the screen contrast in the latest generation really is better. I really liked the way the color LCD bottom scroll looked on the Nook, but it did seem hard on the eyes to go from the LCD to the eInk screen above. I also think this is part of what drains the battery faster... the Kindle lasts much longer (if you turn off wifi).

The idea of ebooks from the library is great, but for now it's not realistically going to save me any trips... I'm there once or twice a week to get books for school anyways. So for now I will stick to reading the free classics, my free trial newspaper subscriptions, and the occasional gem that comes out for free on Amazon. As library books lean more towards ebooks, I hope the Kindle jumps on board or I'm sure I'll once again be considering another reader. There's a lot of free homeschooling publications/ebooks floating around on the internet. I used to just save them to my hard drive to read later (and never get to them). But each Kindle is set up with it's own email address and you can just email the files via the whispernet, to be converted to Kindle text or not. It's not something I knew about before getting the Kindle and I'm amazed how smoothly it works. I sent the user manual for my camera to the Kindle and it's already come in handy! You can read pdfs on Nooks too, but I never saw an option for wirelessly transferring them. Maybe they have that now in addition to the drag and drop option.

The browsing capabilities on the Kindle seem rudimentary at best, but I know a lot of people like that because they're less likely to be distracted/tempted by the internet (me included - ha!). If you want this feature go Ipad or Nook Color, they both get amazing reviews!

I had heard that the eInk Nooks were no longer going to be offered in WiFi/3G models, only in WiFi... but I'm not sure when that takes effect. I "test drove" both the Nook and the Kindle at Best Buy, but they're so tethered up it was difficult for me to really feel the difference in weight. Their return policy is even better than B&N, 30 days as opposed to 14. I only needed one day, but I was grateful for the opportunity to really try the Nook. I really thought it was the reader for me, but it turned out the Kindle was a better fit... but they're both great and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Edited by baybedaul

I like my Nook Color. I have no problem reading without the eink screen. When I need to, I turn down the brightness and all is good. I can easily check email and visit websites on it, and I like how I can turn it sideways to change the screen to widescreen. It is very good for watching movies. It doesn't stream Netflix, but it plays any mp4 version movie, and you can convert your dvds to that and load them onto the Nook. I like checking out books from the library. Yes, there is often a long waiting list for books I want from my library, but there are other libraries available, including Philadelphia Free Library, which anyone can join for $15/year, and that one has far more copies of books available.

The iPad does more, but also costs far more. I didn't need an iPad, but the Nook Color works well for my needs.

I love my Kindle. The newest version has a web browser, but I have only tried it a couple of times with so-so results. Our Wal-Mart has several different products on display that you can ask to try. I like the looks of the Sony products. If we ever decide to buy a second e-reader to have one that supports e-pub it will probably be a Sony.

We're already Amazon customers so Kindle makes sense. I've also got the Kindle app installed on the desktop, laptop, and my i-touch.

I never thought I'd say this because I think of my cell phone as a necessary evil and don't care for gadgets. I love my i-touch too; maybe it's a middle age crazy phase?

Oh, and do Kindle and Nook use the same tye of files? Could I buy the 50 Classic Books for Nook on borders, and use that on a kindle? Same type of file?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/50-Classic-Books/Various/e/2940011819445/?itm=1&USRI=50+classics+nook

YOu can download those from Project Gutenberg and not have to pay at all...or have them in one ginormous file that you have to sort through.

We have a nook. I also had a Nook Color before I gifted it to a friend. I have used a kindle that my friend had, and also the Sony Reader.. Truly it depends on your needs. I can check my email from my regular Nook, but you can't view images on it as clearly. The E-ink technology just doesn't work with pictures, making cookbooks and books with images kinda of a drag. (also kids books). The Nook color has this wonderful feature where it will read the kid books aloud if you push the button. But what has made my decision to buy another nook color, was the bedroom factor. When I put my littles to bed, sometimes I stay in and read. Since the nook is not back lit, (neither is the kindle) you need to have a light source. You could use a book lite, but mine just keeps breaking. The nook color being back lit allows me to take it into a dark room and keep reading. If you are sensitive to reading on a computer screen then you probably won't be comfortable on a nook color, since they are the same thing, and you are better off going with a non back lit model. Another funny glitch I found, is that I will not read unless my e reader has a "book like" cover. Just folding the cover back over as if i was destroying the spine of one of my paper backs, makes it feel so much more familiar.

As a side note, recently we started using Calibre to manage our digital library, and collecting pdf, word docs, and even fanfiction to put on our various readers (nook, iphone, and ipods). My DD has recently become enamoured with fanfiction, and so I have been screening her choices by downloading it and an e book, prereading it, then downloading it onto her ipod touch. So many choices, that honestly you can't go wrong, because they all have their merits. Happy shopping.

Edited by Citrusheights5

I know nothing. But hubby wants to get me one, and I think our whole family would use it.

Do I want a kindle? Which kind? THANKS!

Also, is there something like this that also allows you to check email?

I have the Nook with e-ink. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably have gone with the Sony. In the first place, the free books at B&N include a lot of trash with trashy covers—don't care to browse through that, tyvm. Secondly, the Nook seems to have some bugs. I don't know why, but sometimes I have to power off and power back on. Also, it doesn't hold a charge as well as I imagined it would.

Things I like about it: I can put books on different bookshelves (DS gets the Henties, I get Wodehouse, DD gets Miss Marple, etc.). I can download books from anywhere (B&N, Amazon, Project Gutenberg, my library) and read it on my Nook because Nook supports so many different document types. It's light-weight. I LOVE the eInk, it's so easy on my eyes. AND, I can play sudoku. :) The color touch-and-scroll screen at the bottom is nice, too, but probably the reason it doesn't hold a charge as long as I thought it should (especially when I'm playing sudoku!).

There's my pair'o'pennies, just to mix it up a bit. Hope you find one you like best.