Menu

House plans---would you "share" the master bath with the mud room?

We are tweaking our house plans. Right now we have a master bedroom in the back of the house off the garage. There is a mud room there with a 1/2 bath currently in the plans. We could save a lot of cost and room if we would just put a pocket door from the master bath to the mud room and eliminate one of the baths.

Would you do that? If so, why or why not?

I wish I could see the house done both ways. I have trouble taking the paper plan and thinking of it in 3D and LIVING in it.

Is there another 1/2 bath downstairs? I would not want the master to be the only downstairs bathroom.

I wouldn't share a master bath with anyone/thing.

:iagree: We met with a builder on Saturday to discuss our next home. I have a few of things that are non-negotiable (there must be a mud room, we must have an AGA range, two dishwashers, etc) and a master bedroom that is shared by no one else is one of them.

Is there another 1/2 bath downstairs? I would not want the master to be the only downstairs bathroom.

There would be another full bath on this floor. If I could figure out how to post a PDF file, I could share it with you. I LOVE all the elements of the plan but not totally sure if all of the elements flow together---if that makes sense.

One of our biggest struggles is figuring out long term use for the house. We are making the garage and entry wheelchair friendly (ramp, wide doors, etc) and then we will have a handicapped accessible bath on the main floor with handicapped accessible bedroom next to it.

Right now we have my mother in a wheelchair full time. She does NOT plan on living with us EVER---but NEVER say NEVER. My husband's father is in poorer health and may someday be in a wheelchair and/or come to stay with us. THen my son's girl friend is in a wheelchair part time (she can walk some with crutches) and his friend is in a power chair full time. That all means that if we build, we REALLY want to think handicapped friendly so that they can all come visit us and be comfortable.

Going handicapped accessible though really increases your square footage as you need wide hallways, bathrooms with a lot of space, a roll in shower instead of small shower, etc.

So much to think about and still try to stay in a budget and not over build.

We could save a lot of cost and room if we would just put a pocket door from the master bath to the mud room and eliminate one of the baths.

My parents just added on to their house and this is exactly what they did (with a shower stall in the bathroom). Their new master bedroom also comes off of the mudroom/laundry room. It is the only bathroom downstairs (with one full bath upstairs). The don't do much entertaining except for family and they like it just fine. Since it is the only bathroom downstairs it is actually better to have it not connected to the bedroom, so visitors don't need to go through the bedroom to go to the bathroom. My grandmother is in a wheelchair and they wanted to make everything accessible for her (It was sort of before, but they were able to widen the hallways with the addition and add in a ramp outside. It is much better now!) and they were also concerned about their own health and one of them needing a wheelchair in the future. I like it. I think it works well.

ETA: I really like the placement of the laundry in my parents' house, too. It's right outside their bedroom and the downstairs bathroom. To give a little more info, the mudroom turns into a hallway which goes into the kitchen (kitchen to the right, basement door straight ahead, and door to the garage to the left). The end of the hallway closest to the kitchen will eventually have pantry shelves. My mom is so excited to have her pantry upstairs instead of in the basement.

ETA again: The bedroom and the bathroom are NOT connected.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

Update---just talked with my husband on his lunch break and we decided that NO, we don't want to share our master bath. After all, when we get old and crotchety (in say, a year or 2) we will want that privacy :-)

Thanks all for weighing in on it. My sister did this and loved it but her kids were very young at the time.