Menu

I found a 1965 Dolciani Algebra 1 Teacher Edition!!!

I found a 1965 Dolciani Algebra 1 Teacher Edition, and I just wanted to share my excitement with people who would understand my geekiness! :D I've been collecting the early 1960s Dolciani books, and have just a few more to go in order to complete my collection. YAY!!!! I have searched for almost TWO YEARS for the algebra 1 TE. Phew! We start algebra this coming summer! And I NEED teacher editions!!

Colleen,

Will you tell me what is so special about Dolcini Algebra? What age is it for. My dd is finishing Saxon 8/7. She will be done by April and then I have a bunch of supplementary things to use throughout the summer. [i really don't want her to have too much of a break as math is definitely not a strong subject]

I have no idea what to do for this coming fall. She is going into 8th grade, and is very bright, but math, well it doesn't come easy to her or me. I am petrified. I have heard all you smart mamas talking about it and a couple other older texts, but I have no idea if they would be a good fit.

So, what do you think?

TIA

Good for you! What is in it? Solutions? Answers to the evens? Answers to proofs (or does it just say "answers may vary")? Teaching tips? Scheduling guidelines? So far, what Dolciani we've done, we've managed without a teacher's guide, but if I were doing the program full-time instead of just using bits of it when I needed them, I think I would want at least solutions.

-Nan

Colleen,

Will you tell me what is so special about Dolcini Algebra? What age is it for. My dd is finishing Saxon 8/7. She will be done by April and then I have a bunch of supplementary things to use throughout the summer. [i really don't want her to have too much of a break as math is definitely not a strong subject]

I have no idea what to do for this coming fall. She is going into 8th grade, and is very bright, but math, well it doesn't come easy to her or me. I am petrified. I have heard all you smart mamas talking about it and a couple other older texts, but I have no idea if they would be a good fit.

So, what do you think?

TIA

:iagree: I read about this on the boards, but have no idea about the program. What's so neat about it? If I'm not strong in math, would I be able to teach it? Would my precocious, math-loving, self-teaching child be able to manage?

:bigear: :bigear: :bigear:

Colleen,

Will you tell me what is so special about Dolcini Algebra?

:iagree: I read about this on the boards, but have no idea about the program. What's so neat about it? If I'm not strong in math, would I be able to teach it? Would my precocious, math-loving, self-teaching child be able to manage?

See the tag I put at the bottom of the thread in the "tags" section? I tagged this thread with "Dolciani." Click on that, and it will yield up tons more threads on the older Dolciani books, and will explain what they are all about, and why some people prefer the books that were published around 1965 or earlier. It was thanks to these threads and esp. Jane in NC's (one of the board's real mathematicians!) patient explanations to me, that I decided to try to collect them for my high school teaching time in a few years.

amydavis, I'm not strong in math, either. But again, thanks (many thanks!) to Jane in NC, I gained a bit of a clearer picture of what math learning is all about, which is different from my downward spiral in my high school math education. After I bombarded her with questions upon questions about math, I decided to give it a try, and found one of the old Dolciani books online. Even though the actual material was WAY beyond my understanding, I could tell by the way the book was written that if I started at the beginning with algebra 1, I *would* be able to gain an understanding and progress (even if I never get to the Modern Analysis book, lol) with understanding. I don't know how to explain it, except to say that the books are written in an intelligent way that is NOT over my head, yet doesn't make me feel condescended to or that I'm missing something that is entirely obvious to everyone else (which is how I felt in high school). And if I can learn from that, then I can help my kids learn from it. :D Oh, and I have a precocious, math loving son, but I don't feel comfortable leaving him on his own with it...he will still need some kind of daily guidance, but that's an individual thing.

Good for you! What is in it? Solutions? Answers to the evens? Answers to proofs (or does it just say "answers may vary")? Teaching tips? Scheduling guidelines? So far, what Dolciani we've done, we've managed without a teacher's guide, but if I were doing the program full-time instead of just using bits of it when I needed them, I think I would want at least solutions.

-Nan

Hi Nan!! My sister in the States actually has it right now (the seller wouldn't ship to Canada), so I haven't actually seen it. But if it's like the other Teacher Editions that I have (algebra 2 and Modern Intro. Analysis), then it would have all the answers, teaching tips, and scheduling guidelines. They all have a set of green teaching pages in the front, that go into great detail about how to teach the course, and sample schedules. And all through the TEs there are notes written in green, that give you additional info. you might need during your teaching. I really don't have the knowledge to do without all this, thus my intense hunt! :D The Solution Key is a separate book from the TE and the student book.

Yay!!! Celebrating with you ....

Regards,

Kareni

Great to hear Colleen!

Most Excellent!!

Score! I love a good book find.

Congratulations

Though I do have to admit to being more than a little bit envious!

I. Am. Jealous.

(Good for you!)

I have a '65 Alg II TE Do you have that one?

Carole

Thanks, everyone! I felt kind of guilty posting about it, because I know it's so hard to find, but I HAD to share it with people who care! :D

Carole, I do have the Alg II TE from 1965! I found that closer to the beginning of my search. Well, somewhere in the first year, anyway, lol.

I just have to tell you all how this came about - just an illustration of my obsession, and then you can laugh. :lol: I had all the ones I was searching for, on my amazon.com (it would have been useless for me to try on amazon.ca) wish list, since March 2009. Every so often I'd remember to check it, and then I'd check a few other book sites. Yes, I've searched thrift stores and library sales, but they don't seem to have been in Canada back in the 60s. But I've been checking my wish list a lot more frequently in the past six months, because we are on track to start algebra this coming summer and I have been slightly panicking! I just cannot do this without a TE. But each time, in those red letters, "Currently unavailable" would pop up. And if something became available, I would usually e-mail the seller first to confirm that it was the correct pub. date I wanted, and that it was the TE. Or I'd look under the student book listings on the off chance that a TE was listed there mistakenly. Well, one day last week, as I was about to shut down my computer, I decided to have a quick look at my wish list, and VOILA, something was listed under TE 1965 alg 1. I had a look, it even mentioned the green pages, so I said to myself, "If I take the time to e-mail this seller to confirm that it really is the 1965 one, someone else might snap it up!!" So I quickly bought it, praying that the seller had listed it correctly, lol! This seller didn't even have a return policy, and only had about 9 sales to her credit!!!!! I panicked when it wouldn't ship to Canada, then quickly changed the address to my sister in the States, and told her after the fact - "Please? Do you mind? You'd be helping out your niece and nephew's education..........." LOL She didn't mind.

So my sister e-mailed me last night to say it had arrived. I called her, and she said, "yes, it has those green pages.......hmmmm.....let's see, the publication date is 1865." "WHAT?????" I say. She laughs evilly. :lol: "Is it 1965?!?!?!?!?!?!" I say. "Yes" her laughing hysterically at me. So I start yelling to my family, "I got it!! I got the one I wanted!!!" And they all rolled their eyes at me. :D

OK, for all you jealous ones, I just saw this pop up on the "purchased" section of my amazon wishlist, so apparently it's out there as of the time of this posting:

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Structure-Teachers-Houghton-Mathematiacs/dp/B002NNL7IQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297741736&sr=8-2

Lemme know who grabs it first.... :D

ETA: Ya know, just for convenience in case anyone finds this thread in Dolciani searches in the future, I'm linking two places where a listing for this book is set up:

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Structure-Teachers-Houghton-Mathematiacs/dp/B002NNL7IQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297742946&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-algebra-Structure-method-Teachers/dp/B0007DU4SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297741736&sr=8-3

Just check these every so often to see if a new listing is there.

Edited by Colleen in NS

OK, for all you jealous ones, I just saw this pop up on the "purchased" section of my amazon wishlist, so apparently it's out there as of the time of this posting:

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Structure-Teachers-Houghton-Mathematiacs/dp/B002NNL7IQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297741736&sr=8-2

ETA: Ya know, just for convenience in case anyone finds this thread in Dolciani searches in the future, I'm linking two places where a listing for this book is set up:

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Structure-Teachers-Houghton-Mathematiacs/dp/B002NNL7IQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297742946&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-algebra-Structure-method-Teachers/dp/B0007DU4SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297741736&sr=8-3

Thanks, I put it on my wish list, since I don't have $50 for textbooks in Feb (that comes later in the spring.)

So how do you know what year it was published and honestly which book do you use for an 8th grader, b/c some of the titles really confused me.

Plus, the library only has the newer ones, any ideas where I should look to try to peruse one?

Thanks. I am really starting to agonize over Algebra next year. History and grammar, not so much, but Algebra, oh yeah.

Thanks, I put it on my wish list, since I don't have $50 for textbooks in Feb (that comes later in the spring.)

If I were rich, I'd buy these every time they came up and distribute them to the Dolciani fans here.

So how do you know what year it was published and honestly which book do you use for an 8th grader, b/c some of the titles really confused me.

Plus, the library only has the newer ones, any ideas where I should look to try to peruse one?

Click on the links, and scroll down. You will see the publication date listed. Then you click on the link that takes you to the actual seller. This is where things can get tricky. With other Dolciani books, I've e-mailed the sellers, just to confirm that the date in the book matches the date they've listed it under, and I confirm that the book title matches the listing they've put it under. I do this because sometimes sellers make mistakes in their listings and I don't want to buy something I don't want. However, last week when one of these Algebra 1965 TE came up, I just bought it. I took the chance that if it wasn't what it was purported to be, that I could return it for refund. I did this because I have not been able to find this TE until now.

Anywhere to peruse one.....you'd have to find a person who just adored their 1960s high school math class, I guess, and kept their books. Or you might be able to find one in a thrift store - I know people here have found them.

Oh, and I will be using this 1965 Algebra 1 for my upcoming grade 8 student next year.