Menu

A Question About Shoes To Exercise In

OK...I've never done much exercise (and it shows) but I turned over a new leaf this year. :) I am doing P90 (not the X) fat burning and strength tapes, and Wii Free Step and various things. I also walk in the neighborhood when the weather is nice. I have basic Nike shoes that honestly squeeze my toes together, so I need some more comfortable ones. Do I need *running* shoes, *aerobic* shoes, or does it matter what the soles of them are like as long as they feel nice? I tried on a pair of Asics last week just for fun because they were on sale for $94.00 (and I wanted to tease my dh because I didn't know shoes could cost that much) and they felt like a cloud! When I looked at their name, they were called Cumulus lol. I think they were running shoes, but is that necessary or appropriate for the minimal exercise I am doing? Tax refund is coming!!!

I'm going to give you totally different advise than you are likely to get....but.....

..... go barefoot.

My husband (a physical therapist( is a big proponent of barefoot running and minimalist shoes like these.

As one new to exercising, your feet will adapt more easily to barefoot running than someone who's been exercising/running for awhile.

By going barefoot, you allow the intrinsic muscles (the muscles within the foot) to strengthen themselves because they are being used. In a shoe with a big old arch support, your intrinsic muscles are not being used to support your arch, because there is an arch *in* the shoe.

Certainly, this is a controversial idea, and there are still lots of people who think it is bogus, but there are more and more people -- and even more and more research -- in support of minimalist footwear/ going barefoot. I've just started running (tho' the "start" is in fits) for a few months, and I run barefoot unless I'm outside, then I wear Vibrams that look like this:

w119_1_t.jpg and they are comfortable, but they did take a couple weeks to get used to (my baby piggie toe missed This Little One Had None)

Google barefoot if you are curious. There is a runner/ evolutionary biologist from Harvard who's way into barefoot running.

I bought these for my Couch to 5K training:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASC1427/

They are WONDERFUL for my feet. You're right -- they do feel like a cloud! I knew they were right the moment I slipped them on. I have extremely high arches and have had bouts of plantar fasciitis, so my barefoot days (the first 30 years of my life) are over. I selected them with help from the running expert at a local sporting good store that was recommended by all the runners in my area.

I wear them for my jogging and walking. I would imagine they would work for strength, too, but I'm not sure about any lateral motion in some aerobics programs.

I'm currently running in Asics Gel-Cumulus, too, but I'd say you don't necessarily need those for an exercise class. If they feel cushy and not too big or clunky for all the lateral movements and jumping, then spend away! Just know that you could do well enough in a less pricey pair of neutral cushioning running shoes. ;)

I'm going to give you totally different advise than you are likely to get....but.....

..... go barefoot.

My husband (a physical therapist( is a big proponent of barefoot running and minimalist shoes like these.

As one new to exercising, your feet will adapt more easily to barefoot running than someone who's been exercising/running for awhile.

By going barefoot, you allow the intrinsic muscles (the muscles within the foot) to strengthen themselves because they are being used. In a shoe with a big old arch support, your intrinsic muscles are not being used to support your arch, because there is an arch *in* the shoe.

Certainly, this is a controversial idea, and there are still lots of people who think it is bogus, but there are more and more people -- and even more and more research -- in support of minimalist footwear/ going barefoot. I've just started running (tho' the "start" is in fits) for a few months, and I run barefoot unless I'm outside, then I wear Vibrams that look like this:

w119_1_t.jpg and they are comfortable, but they did take a couple weeks to get used to (my baby piggie toe missed This Little One Had None)

Google barefoot if you are curious. There is a runner/ evolutionary biologist from Harvard who's way into barefoot running.

LOL, I have read about these shoes too and was curious. Then we went to Great Wolf Lodge before Christmas for a few days, and a man wearing them came in and ran on the treadmill next to mine one morning. I could hardly tear my eyes away! I wanted to watch exactly how the foot flexed, and how the toes worked in them! I had to force myself to look up, at the TV playing CNN, so I wouldn't seem rude! They definitely look different! I have a friend that swears by them though.

Thank you! Oh my, so much to choose from! :) I admit to going barefoot every day...please don't tell FlyLady...but I would like to treat myself to something new. I'm going to look up each one y'all have suggested. Hubby said I could get anything I want! (The man is desperate LOL.) But I want to be wise. Thanks again.

I was going to suggest Vibram 5 finger shoes, but I see that several people have already beat me to it. Regular athletic shoes have always squished my toes. My foot is wide across the balls of my feet. I have a narrow heel and on top of that I have a thin foot and a high arch!

I tried walking on my treadmill with athletic shoes. My pinky toe started to go numb so I took my shoes off and walked barefoot. I got huge blisters on the balls of my feet. So, I bought Vibram Bikila. I love, love, love them. I can walk and exercise without numb toes and my foot has some protection and traction!

Edited by Tabrett

I have pretty excessive pronation which caused my gait to be off enough to cause permanent damage to my knees by 40yo, so I wear shoes almost all the time.

I like my Asics. I've heard a lot of good things about New Balance, but I have a very narrow foot and need a narrow toebox. New Balance shoes aren't shaped right for my feet.

These are the shoes I have:

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-GEL-1150-Running-Lightning-Turquoise/dp/B002EQ9WI4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297574886&sr=8-2

I have my custom orthotics from the podiatrist in my shoes.

My poor 12yo also has orthotics. Hers are pretty aggressive because her feet roll so badly that her ankles aren't over her heels when she's barefoot. It took her a while to get used to her orthotics, but once she did, she loved them.

I still have shoes on my mind today... I think those FiveFingers shoes are so cute! But when I showed my girls a picture, they all gasped and said 'No, Mom!! They look like alien shoes!' :lol: It's so hard to break away from the familiar around here! I'm going to town in a week or two and do some shoe trying on, to be sure of different styles and sizes and colors. I may get the Asics Cumulus because they were so comfortable, and I plan to sneak a pair of the Vibram's to do my tapes in. And who knows...I may wear those *alien shoes* to the mall with the girls LOL, who will be huddled together with a shocked look on their faces :eek: . Hubby thinks I've more than earned them both for finishing our taxes this weekend!! Thanks so much for everyone's help. I am so excited.

I know you want shoes, and that's fine.

I'm recommending the minimalist shoes not from a fashion standpoint. I'm recommending them from a biomechanical standpoint. The big honkin' running shoes are not good for your foot. You will have stronger, more supportive feet (helping to minimize problems like plantar fasciitis, achilles problems, knee, etc.), better running form, etc.

Ya know those Kenyans who win races? They learn to run barefoot. The shoes they wear in races --- they're paid to wear them and are a status symbol of success. They've already learned great form (a mid-foot step, meaning they do not step on their heels first when they run), so running in shoes probably isn't such a big deal for them -- their muscles are well developed.

My husband's blog "Not Quite Kenyan" has some information about shoes, biomechanics, running,etc.

Have fun shopping!