Menu

Two sonlight cores in one year?

JaneP

I am considering Sonlight for my older dd. She will be 10 when we start.

I like the look of core 1 and core 2 and someone on the Sonlight forum suggested these cores' content would be ok for my dd10 but the pace would be too light. She suggested doing core 1 and core 2 double paced to complete them in one year.

I think this would work. We would order the 4 day schedules and do two days worth each day.

Has anyone ever done two cores in one year?

How does this plan sound to you?

I am considering Sonlight for my older dd. She will be 10 when we start.

I like the look of core 1 and core 2 and someone on the Sonlight forum suggested these cores' content would be ok for my dd10 but the pace would be too light. She suggested doing core 1 and core 2 double paced to complete them in one year.

I think this would work. We would order the 4 day schedules and do two days worth each day.

Has anyone ever done two cores in one year?

How does this plan sound to you?

I think you could totally do this. I did something similar with ds11 and ds18 (10 and 17 at the time) when we did CORE 3. They did a core 3 and 4 mix with suppliments from upper cores. :)

I think that sounds like a lot of reading in one day and a race to the finish rather than an enjoyable school year. Personally, I would rather do core 1/2 which condenses cores 1 and 2 into one year for you and the books from cores 1 and 2 that weren't included in core 1/2, I would use those as free reading books.

You could ony do it if you were willing to drop as needed some suggested readings and be willing to go over summer as well.

Otherwise I do not think it would be too much considering her age. You just need to be flexible and not feel the need to do it all.

I would not do the combo 1/2 package. I like having the wholr core to choose from.

I am so appreciative of all your thoughts!

I know doing core 1 and core 2 in one year is a rather expensive option but I do have a younger child who would be doing core 1 and core 2 across the traditional two years in the future. That does make me feel slightly less guilty!

I had originally considered doing the condensed core 1/2 and I think the idea of supplementing the books we missed would make that an option too.

But would doing the two cores in one year really be too much (as in rushed) for a 10 year old? I had sort of thought that might be an appropriate workload for that age but I am not really sure as I have never taught a 10 year old before and have never used Sonlight before!

And Angel Bee - why don't you like the condensed cores? Is it just that you miss the books that were left out or is it because you don't think they are as well organized?

I know doing core 1 and core 2 in one year is a rather expensive option but I do have a younger child who would be doing core 1 and core 2 across the traditional two years in the future. That does make me feel slightly less guilty!

I had originally considered doing the condensed core 1/2 and I think the idea of supplementing the books we missed would make that an option too.

But would doing the two cores in one year really be too much (as in rushed) for a 10 year old? I had sort of thought that might be an appropriate workload for that age but I am not really sure as I have never taught a 10 year old before and have never used Sonlight before!

And Angel Bee - why don't you like the condensed cores? Is it just that you miss the books that were left out or is it because you don't think they are as well organized?

I am weird! :)

I actually get the full deal when ever I can. Example: CORE 3 I got the 5 day advanced reader set.

That way with as many kids as I have I could pick and choose according to each individual child whether ahead, average, or working at a slower pace.

If I had other children to use the CORES for (which you do) I would want the full curriculum to use at that point.

I know many people who used the condensed 1/2 or 3/4 and were not hapy with it.

I would rather just get the full program to start with and cut what we need for 10yo. :)

I really don't think it would be too much. We are on week 20 of Core 4 and I'm currently reading for over an hour a day to my 9 and 11 yos and then they read for another half hour on their own. From what I remember, Cores 1 and 2 don't have nearly as much reading, so you might wind up with a workload similar to Core 4 by the time all is said and done. Many of the 1/2 readers may be way too easy for your 10yo, so she could probably use some of the read-alouds as her readers instead. That would streamline things a bit.

Core 1+2 is an idea, but I wonder how much that would beef up the schedule for your daughter in the end? Would it still be about the same amount of reading as doing either Core 1 or Core 2 in a day? Also, do you want to use 1+2 with your younger daughter or would you rather use the full cores with her?

I think I would take a poll on how long it takes on a daily basis to do each of these cores. I'm thinking about 35 minutes for read-alouds and less for the readers, but it's been awhile since we've done them so I may be wrong. Also, are you planning on doing the whole core, including the science and LA? That would make a difference.

Lisa

Thanks everyone!

Angel bee - I don't think you are weird at all! I can totally see your point of view. It is interesting that you say some people haven't liked the condensed 1 +2.

Thanks Lisa. Using some of the read alouds from core 1 and core 2 as readers would be a very good option as I think even adv 2 readers may be too easy at this stage. I am considering doing science 3 at the same time but I don't think we will do their LA.

I am leaning towards ordering the complete 1 and 2 cores. My frugal self got excited that we could "get away" with only ordering the condensed 1 +2 but I would like to do the full cores with my younger dd ... so I guess the only option in that scenario is to order the complete cores now?

I think Cores 1&2 would be limited in depth for a typical 10yo. Unless your child needs remedial work, I'd take it up a notch. Do 3, or 3+4 if you want SL.

(I've used Cores 1,2,3,4,5,6,&7 so far.)

I don't think the QUANTITY of the two cores would be too much for a 10 yo (I could do it with my 8 yo fairly easily if I felt inclined), but I just think you'd be better off with more depth.

There is a Core 1+2 where it takes the "best" of Core 1 and Core 2 and rolls them into one year. Maybe consider that?? Especially if you are planning on purchasing everything.

:iagree:That is what I would do in this situation and add in other readings, history and literature to beef it up as needed.

I think Cores 1&2 would be limited in depth for a typical 10yo. Unless your child needs remedial work, I'd take it up a notch. Do 3, or 3+4 if you want SL.

(I've used Cores 1,2,3,4,5,6,&7 so far.)

I don't think the QUANTITY of the two cores would be too much for a 10 yo (I could do it with my 8 yo fairly easily if I felt inclined), but I just think you'd be better off with more depth.

:iagree: FYI, my older DC would be using the same Cores as Stephanie's children if they were doing SL this year. Core 2 and 3 books are perfect for my DD8's, second grade, my DD11 is reading additional literature from Cores 6 and up.

I am leaning towards ordering the complete 1 and 2 cores. My frugal self got excited that we could "get away" with only ordering the condensed 1 +2 but I would like to do the full cores with my younger dd ... so I guess the only option in that scenario is to order the complete cores now?

Wow! Getting all that curriculum at once will be soooo exciting too !!

I think it depends on where your children are. I think my 10 year old would be perfect for the combined core since we haven't studied world history yet. However, coming from a different background, it may be too redundant.

FWIW, I think it would be a lot easier to beef up a core than to reduce one or chance it being to difficult.

homemama

:iagree: yes!!! Please don't tempt me any further!!

StephanieZ and melmichigan - yes, I must consider the depth of the material as well as the quantity of the material. I will really have to take a closer look at each book.

Off to do more research...

:iagree:

It DOES sound fun in that respect...

Can anyone say "Super-Box-Day"? :D

FWIW, I was just organizing my 1+2 IG a few days ago (yep, not using it for a while yet, but call me a keener), and it does look like a lot every day. There is a lot of geography in there, basically a world history overview AND a fly through world geography, looks pretty busy :). Of course, my little one is 7, and a lot changes in 3 years!