Menu

Cuisenaire Rods for Dummies - please direct me

abrightmom

to the IDEAL resource to learn Cuisenaire Rods. I own them and I have a couple of activity books lying around. However, I'm struggling with how to go about using them . . . :o

I need to add some hands on, "different" math for one of my children. I think C Rods might be just the thing. I want to learn more about them myself. I think Miquon might be the ticket and I'd planned to pick that up. But, there was a specific list of items needed to really learn/understand/grasp Miquon. I need to know exactly what is required!:001_smile::001_smile:

Thanks for any help here.

I just bought Miquon last week. You must have Lab Sheet Annotations. Mine was missing from my order so I am waiting.:sad: I also bought the First Grade Diary and the first 4 books. I am now wishing for another copy of the first 2 books. I thought my 7 year old would be beyond using this but, no way! I think this would be enormously helpful for her to start from the beginning.

For now I would buy:

Lab Sheet Annotations

First Grade Diary

2 each of the Orange and Red (for 8 and 6 yo)

if you are planning ahead then add:

1 Orange (for 4 yo)

1 each Blue and Green (for 8 yo)

Here is a couple ideas from the FGD. For now, I would just let them play. Praise and point out any play that shows a recognition of each rod's value: staircase being built, tower where a one and four are stacked on a five, they may even give them(the rods) a number value on their own.

I really like the looks of Miquon. It is very different but I am excited to teach it. HTH!

Edited by TracyP
clarification

There is a third Miquon teachers book beyond the First Grade Diary and Lab Annotations Book called "Notes to Parents" that has information on starting out with C Rods and Miquon generally. I wish "Notes" had been a foreword to the Lab Annotations book rather than its own slim volume, but I think it belongs in any complete package (especially if one is unclear about how to proceed).

For now do a lot of play. Let the child compare the rods and find some value relations on their own. Then you can have them make "stairs" (placing rods vertically in ascending and descending heights), and "trains" (horizontally stacking combinations of rods on top of base rod, for example what different combinations of rods are the same as "nine".

Do resist the temptation to make the early exploration too "parent led" as there is a logic to the Miquon idea of "discovery" learning.

Bill

In addition to the other ideas, try laying two red rods end to end and let dc find the rod that's as long as 2 reds. Do this with whatever other combos you can think of. Come up with combos that are longer than orange (10). Make trains. How many white rods long is your train? How many red rods long is it? (That's an actual page from early in the Orange Book). Just play. :)

I think Miquon might be the ticket and I'd planned to pick that up. But, there was a specific list of items needed to really learn/understand/grasp Miquon. I need to know exactly what is required!:001_smile::001_smile:

Thanks for any help here.

Start by reading the Miquon "First Grade Diary" regardless if whether you will be using Miquon with the 8, 6, or 4 year old. This book will give you a great overview of how introductory mathematics can be taught as an engaging subject for a young child. And a subject where children can invest their minds and their critical thinking skills (with the aid of age-appropriate tools) to problem solve for themselves. There is a joy of learning with this approach that is very different than many of the alternatives.

Bill

I think if you've never encountered them before and are just looking at them confused, then The Idea Book for Cuisenaire Rods may be more accessible than Miquon. Though obviously Miquon is excellent and unlike this is a full curriculum. My only caution is to listen to Bill's advice above - the idea book can be very parent driven, but if you want to have an idea of what you could do with them, then that's a good thing to look at. It's just an assortment of games to play with them.

For now do a lot of play. . .

Do resist the temptation to make the early exploration too "parent led" as there is a logic to the Miquon idea of "discovery" learning.

Bill

Are you saying that I could allow my DS8 to do this on his own, at least for awhile? That would be ideal as I have many irons in the fire already :D but DO want to do this. :)

Thanks for all of the tips already. I *think* I have that Idea book so I'm going to take a look . . . perhaps now that I have some math teaching under my belt it may not be so "outside the box" as it seemed in the beginning. Teaching with Right Start, Math Mammoth and Singapore certainly has opened my eyes . . . whew. I have a loooooooong way to go though!

Edited by abrightmom

Another option, instead of buying the workbooks again, is to put the pages in page protectors, in a binder. Since my littles are so close together that's what I'm doing with all their consumable workbooks and I've found it really great with Miquon because there are so many different ways you can use the lab sheets as they grow/change/learn more. You can use a permanent marker (sharpie) and let them work their page, then when they are done you can spray alcohol on it to clean the marker off & they can use it again. WORKS GREAT!!!!

HTH! :)

Edited by rootsnwings

Another option, instead of buying the workbooks again, is to put the pages in page protectors, in a binder. Since my littles are so close together that's what I'm doing with all their consumable workbooks and I've found it really great with Miquon because there are so many different ways you can use the lab sheets as they grow/change/learn more. You can use a permanent marker (sharpie) and let them work their page, then when they are done you can spray alcohol on it to clean the marker off & they can use it again. WORKS GREAT!!!!

currclick carries Miquon as ebooks, but the workbooks are SO cheap at RR, that I just buy the workbook.

Someone posted a link some time ago for a free cuisenaire rods e book. I have searched and searched but can't find it. It was on a homeschooling blog. I believe it was geared toward K/1st. Maybe someone will have the link and post it here :D

I have seen this e-book, too. And like you, I can't find it! :lol:

I do have this: http://www.ttac.odu.edu/articles/cuisenai.html and it's been very useful.

ETA: Found it! http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

Edited by Enough

Before Miquon, check out Mathematics Made Meaningful. You'll also find books on this site that will help get you started with the rods.

:iagree:

After using just Miquon for this school year, I will be purchasing this ASAP. This has been the plan for a few months and now that tax refund time is here it is more than time. Miquon has good ideas/explanations on how to use the rods/program, but they are spread out in THREE TM's!!! I am hoping the MMM will be the perfect supplement to Miquon and much more teacher friendly. I have a child that needs a good explanation of the operation and how to explore it and figure it out concretely with manipulatives. He can not just open the pages and figure it out himself. Trying to accomplish this with just the Miquon resources was/is driving me crazy!!!! ;)

I do have this: http://www.ttac.odu.edu/articles/cuisenai.html and it's been very useful.

ETA: Found it! http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

We play all kinds of games with the cards from that site. We love Miquon here! I'm planning on using it all the way through, and then again with my littlest. I wish my oldest had started out this way.

Someone posted a link some time ago for a free cuisenaire rods e book. I have searched and searched but can't find it. It was on a homeschooling blog. I believe it was geared toward K/1st. Maybe someone will have the link and post it here :D

I think you are referring to this downloadable booklet my a woman named Miranda Hughes.

http://www.nurturedbylove.ca/resources/cuisenairebook.pdf

Bill

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:Wow!! Thank-you to everyone for the helps!

Can anyone compare MMM to Miquon? It's really hard for me to see exactly what I'm getting. The MMM samples aren't very helpful although the description sounds like it would be an ideal supplement. I am NOT looking for a full curriculum . . . this is simply a low key supplement that I would love to hand the older kids (with a little direction/oversight).

Can the Miquon workbooks be easily cut apart and put into page protectors in a binder? That works well here for multiple kids esp. when something is a supplement and the child may not use the entire book.

Aha! I should have read more carefully! :tongue_smilie: Thanks for sharing this. Question answered!!

Yes, that's it, thanks!

I think you are referring to this downloadable booklet my a woman named Miranda Hughes.

http://www.nurturedbylove.ca/resources/cuisenairebook.pdf

Bill

Yes, that's it too, thanks!

Thank you both. Now to save them ;)

Edited by Homeschooling6

:iagree:

Free pre-Miquon Cuisenaire ideas book:

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

And I didn't see if anyone's mentioned it yet on this thread, but the Idea Book for Cuisenaire Rods was very helpful to us at the PreK and early K stage.

It looks like there's also an Intermediate one that I may invest in. (Sorry if this post comes out all bold. I tried to turn it off!)

He can not just open the pages and figure it out himself. Trying to accomplish this with just the Miquon resources was/is driving me crazy!!!! ;)

Well, he isn't supposed to open the pages and figure it out. You're supposed to sit with him, with the Lab Notations open to that page, and help him discover stuff...which kind of makes me crazy, lol. I like scripted lessons such as R&S's, but sitting with the dc and helping them discover stuff...not so much.

OTOH, I really like MMM's task cards. I'm not big on manipulatives; I don't believe every child must use them (that was a popular theory 15-20 years ago), but MMM grabbed me. After about the third task card I was all fired up, lol.