Menu

Need suggestions for bday gift for 13yo dd

My oldest will be 13 next week. Originally I had planned on taking her to Dallas this week. Weather and $ have called that plan off. :( She only has three things on her birthday wish list (toe socks, yarn, and book store gift card).

I want to do something really special for her. One idea I had was to take her for a mani/pedi and to lunch on her birthday. But I'd like to give her something, from dh and I, that will be meaningful and a keepsake for her. I'm just at a loss for ideas.

She's my studious one. Loves to read. Does crochet.

We moved this summer and has her own room now.

Her ears are not pierced and she doesn't wear other pieces of jewelry. For her 5th I made her a name/birthstone bracelet and for her 10th she got a necklace with a real amethyst. She never wears them. :lol:

I feel just horrible that I can't think of something for her. :(

Help!!!!

I think the idea of lunch and the "spa" treatment would be great. Maybe you could get her a beautiful hardbound copy of her favorite book (we bought each of the boys a nice Bible with engraved name at that age). My youngest is a big LOTR fan so we bought him a hard bound beautifully illustrated set for his 13th.

Does she have a place to keep her knitting supplies? A knitting themed gift could be cute. You could start with a cute basket or tote, add yarns, some cute hip knitting books, supplies, etc.

A book theme could be fun too. Maybe a new series, a cozy throw, a reading light, a book marker, slippers, and tea/hot chocolate and a cute mug.

Does she have a camera?

Does she bake? Sur La Table has some fun stuff.

I've been shopping today for my soon to be 12yo daughter. :) It's a fun age, but kind of hard to shop for.

Our children get an engraved Bible for their 6th birthday. :)

I did think about a keepsake copy of a book. I'd have to find out which is her favorite. She likes so many!

She does have a basket for her yarn and she keeps her hooks/needles in pretty glass bottles on her dresser.

I'll have to check out the baking supplies. She does like to cook/bake.

A camera is actually a good idea! She takes great pictures!

How about enough yarn for her to crochet her own blanket for her new room. You can take her to a yarn shop and she can pick the pattern/colors. She would likely have it for many years and would be a great keepsake.

DD11 got a nice camera for her 11th birthday and it was a great gift. She loves having it to play with. I bought a good extra warranty on it so I don't have a heart attack every time she runs out the door with it. LOL

Jewelry is a hard one. My mom bought me several pieces of jewelry over the years and I don't wear any of it. I don't even wear a wedding ring, so I don't know why she keeps buying me jewelry. LOL

One of the best presents my parents got for me was the largest set of Prismacolor pencils they make. I was in heaven LOL

Because 13 is such a milestone, mentally, we did a special celebration for ds.

As a present, we got 13 rocks with different words written on them. Each word was a blessing we wanted him to have for his life, such as happiness, strength, peace, etc. Then we gave him a special container to keep his rocks, plus a few blank ones to ask for his own blessings. He loved it.

I heard about the rock words from my Rabbi who gives children that are in need of healing a gift of rocks with single words on them. Every child that gets a rock absolutely loves their present.

It would be fun to give her the camera in the morning and then take her for some spa stuff and out to lunch. She (and you) could take pictures of her day doing the spa/lunch thing and then you could make a small scrapbook together with the pictures of how you celebrated her 13th birthday.

I'm trying to figure out how you can get a picture of the new camera to put in there. :lol:

My oldest will be 13 next week. Originally I had planned on taking her to Dallas this week. Weather and $ have called that plan off. :( She only has three things on her birthday wish list (toe socks, yarn, and book store gift card).

I want to do something really special for her. One idea I had was to take her for a mani/pedi and to lunch on her birthday. But I'd like to give her something, from dh and I, that will be meaningful and a keepsake for her. I'm just at a loss for ideas.

She's my studious one. Loves to read. Does crochet.

We moved this summer and has her own room now.

Her ears are not pierced and she doesn't wear other pieces of jewelry. For her 5th I made her a name/birthstone bracelet and for her 10th she got a necklace with a real amethyst. She never wears them. :lol:

I feel just horrible that I can't think of something for her. :(

Help!!!!

You know, I was/am that sort of girl. Keepsakes and jewelry just don't resonate with me. They're more apt to be gifts that the giver wanted me to have or that made them feel good about giving me, but rarely something I wanted.

If you think she'd like the camera I'd go with that and get her a really nice bookstore gift card. She'll feel special.