Menu

Chicken Salad recipe

I had this amazing chicken salad from HEB (grocery store) the other day. It used rotisserie chicken and, man it was good! But it was also $6 for a little tiny container of it. I really want to make this myself, but I have no. idea. at all. how.

It did NOT have raisins or apples in it and most recipes I'm finding have this in it. If you make it without those things, can you please share your recipe with me?? My kids and I would be most thankful!

My recipe is what ever we have on hand with left over chicken.

Chicken

apple, pear, grapes cut in half, or raisins

nuts (usually pecan pieces)

onions if you want them

a little pickle or relish

Mayo, salt and pepper to taste

Mix and serve on a good bread or bun with cheese, tomato, lettuce or toast the bread in the toaster oven with the cheese on it and then make your sandwiches...yummy

You can sprinkle in a little paprika if you like or other spices, and some people like a little mustard in it, but not me. Enjoy experimenting, because there is no wrong way to make it.

This is my chicken salad recipe:

A hot chicken salad with almonds, mayonnaise, cheese, and other ingredients.

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups chicken, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
  • celery salt, to taste
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 ounces chopped pimiento, drained
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 small can French fried onion rings

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients except French fried onion rings; put in shallow greased baking dish. Cover with onion rings and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

Serves 4.

I leave off the onion rings. I do cook it and then put into a container in the frig. Delicious hot or cold.

Here's mine (from my grandmother) :)

Dice or shred the meat from one chicken. Sprinkle with 1 t salt and 1-2 TBS lemon juice and mix by hand to distribute the lemon/salt. Add 1/2c shredded sharp cheddar and 1/4 cup diced water chestnuts. Mix the cheese and water chestnuts in, then add 1/2 (or more) cup mayo. It's great hot or cold. Grandma served it hot with crushed potato chips on top. :)

Lisa

I had this amazing chicken salad from HEB (grocery store) the other day. It used rotisserie chicken and, man it was good! But it was also $6 for a little tiny container of it. I really want to make this myself, but I have no. idea. at all. how.

It did NOT have raisins or apples in it and most recipes I'm finding have this in it. If you make it without those things, can you please share your recipe with me?? My kids and I would be most thankful!

We enjoy chicken salad here.

Chicken breast shredded (not pre-packaged strips, but the real thing)

little mayo

walnuts!

cranberries or another similar fruit, dried and/or grapes

shredded lettuce

tomato chunked

salt, pepper and lots of GARLIC

maybe sunflower seeds

I make a pretty good chicken salad, if I do say so, though I don't have a recipe with exact amounts, since I just throw the stuff in until it looks good.

I chop up a bunch of cooked chicken and mix it with a bunch of raw diced yellow onion. I mix in a touch of white wine, let it sit for a minute, and then mix in equal amounts of mayo and sour cream (the full fat kind tastes better by far). Sometimes I throw in a little diced celery, or some garlic powder if I'm in the mood. Salt and pepper to taste. Especially good on homemade danish oat bread.

My family hates mayo - but they like Ranch Dressing --so here are my "recipes" if you can call them that:

I use either left over Rotisserie ckn or baked ckn and I also buy the canned ckn from SAMS to have on hand for a quick meal.

I shred the ckn and stir in Ranch dressing to coat - I like just a little but my family likes it more creamy and salt/pepper to taste. I make another batch that I throw various things in depending upon who is home and wants to eat:

---sliced apples (my fave)

---finely chopped carrots and/or celery

---dh likes bacon bits and shredded chesse

---sometimes dices bread and butter pickles

• 1 year later...

Here's the one posted on the website. Is it the one? There's no celery, so maybe it's not?:

Simple Rotisserie Chicken Salad

1 c. chopped or shredded H-E-B Rotisserie Chicken, your favorite flavor

2 Tbsp. Easy Red Wine Vinaigrette, see recipe

1/2 c. chopped raw zucchini

1 green onion, chopped

2 button mushrooms, chopped

2 radishes, thin sliced

1 1/2 c. H-E-B Classic Romaine

Instructions

1. Layer the rotisserie chicken, red wine vinaigrette, zucchini, green onions, mushrooms, radishes and Romaine lettuce on a dinner plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Toss the salad before serving.

For Work Lunch: Place the salad in the same layers in an H-E-B Tough & Easy container and take to work. Keep refrigerated and toss before serving.

http://www.heb.com/recipecat/Simple-Rotisserie-Chicken-Salad/4515269/2000001

I have lived in Oklahoma, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Hawaii and Germany and have never lived near an HEB grocery store.

My recipe has:

Finely chopped-

Chicken breast

Celery

Granny Smith apple

Red onion

Slivered almonds

Craisins

Mayo

Dijon mustard

Salt and pepper

You can always leave out anything you don't like. :)