Menu

Training Our Daughters to Be Keepers at Home

sewgirlie

Could anyone who has used this or at least looked at it in person comment on how it's set up? Is it daily lessons? How much information is in the book itself? Any other general comments about it?

I can't get into the website for it and my request to join the yahoo group has been pending for weeks.

Thanks so much!

Carrie

My subscription has been pending indefinitely also :-( I think maybe they won't let me join anyway.

I've been looking at Prepare and Pray and some Waldorf handcrafts, CLE homemaking, Pearables, The Encyclopedia of Country Living. I picked up The Golden Family Craft Treasury for $2.00 at the library sale today.

But I think what I really want is TOD though, and to be allowed to at least listen, even if not post, at a forum. Sigh!

I did own this at one time. I don't think it had daily lesson plans but it did have units with time suggestions. It requires lots of other resources. The copy I had was a hardback book but it runs in my mind that about the time I sold it they had changed it over to a CD-ROM format. Maybe someone else has more details.

I don't know how much help this is, but I've got a handbook in front of me titled, Keepers at Home: A Handbook for Young Ladies We're not using it, so dh has listed it on his Amazon.com account.

The handbook is divided into sections such as "Biblical Girlhood" (Scripture Memory, Prayer, Bible Reading, etc.), "Creative Skills" (Calligraphy, Candlemaking, Crochet, Dollmaking, etc.), "Homemaking" (Baking, First Aid, Cleaning, etc.), and "Recreational Activities" (Badminton, Bicycle, Ice Skating, etc.)

Each entry has a summary of supplies needed, the purpose behind a skill, and instructions how to do it. It seems from the book that girls can win achievement awards for completing a certain number of activities. I believe it is tied to a club, on the general idea of Girl Scouts.

That's about all I know!

Mama Anna

The hardback Keepers at Home book with the Holly Hobby like drawing is a Christian version of the Girl Scouts. Teaching Our Daughters is for older students, and something else entirely.

Exactly. We've used both extensively, and they are very different programs. :001_smile:

I don't even know if the Yahoo group is still active? There used to be a site which had the TOC and many other details, but I can't turn it up in a quick search (just a lot of people who hate daughters being trained in homemaking :D.)

I asked fro something to teach myself while teaching dds many, many years ago on the old board and one of the lovely ladies here recommended this to me. It was the perfect answer.

It is set up as a 7 year curriculum. There are 36 weeks of lessons each year. The lessons are to be about an hour or so a day. If you start at 11, you can complete the entire program before your dd graduates.

There is a set schedule, but we have used it just fine by rearranging topics to coincide with other things - like Keepers at Home - we were doing (and we didn't have room for a garden in the first years, so we saved those.) There are topics that run over many years (Godly Womanhood, Sewing, Gardening, etc.) and some that are one-time only (Basketry, Caring for the Sick and Injured, etc.) For an example, the first year schedule is:

Godly Womanhood (7 wks)

Sewing: basics (7 wks)

Cooking: Snacks and Lunches (7 wks)

Gardening: basics (7 wks)

Knitting I (5 wks)

Greeting Card Making I (2 wks)

Review (1 wk)

The majority of projects are in the categories of Godly Womanhood, Serving Others, Sewing, Fiber Arts, Cooking & baking, and Gardening.

Each year, there are a few books that you buy to use with the program. For example, the first year, you buy The King's Daughter, a Sue Gregg cookbook, Square Foot Gardening, and a book on rubber stamping (we skipped the last one.) The idea is that you are building up your daughter's library of home-keeping books. The program uses the Sue Gregg cookbooks, so you can buy the set of one/two each year. Each year, Godly Womanhood is a different book study: The King's Daughter, Dear Princess, The Pursuit of Holiness, Hidden Art of Homemaking, etc. Year 7 has a long book-list, which will help a young woman continue learning.

There are many directions in the TODKAH book, though you will need a pattern here or there. For example, in Sewing Basics, the directions and patterns for most projects are in the book, but you buy an apron pattern. There are many guides from the Extension Office included in the book.

It is a very comprehensive program. A girl who completes it will know how to sew clothing for herself, dh, dc, and projects for the home; cook or bake any type of meal; knit, crochet, etc; make soap, baskets, etc.; manage her family's finances; grow her own food and preserve it; care for herself, her community, and her family (the later years cover childbirth and raising children.)

Hopefully, that gies you an idea. :001_smile:

Edited by angela in ohio

• 11 years later...

I've just seen this post I know it's an old one but did you ever get to find your information about the book training your daughter to be keepers at home? In the sewing lesson there are 35 lessons. There are so many interesting things in here raising animals, soap making and candle making home management greeting card making cooking and baking gardening food preserving, gardening flowers, cooking and baking casseroles, embroidery, crocheting, cross stitch, basketry, knitting one and two, godly Womanhood, hospitality, family finances, food preserving and many more. Under Hospitality there's five lessons each unit has a different amount of lessons it talks about working with herbs making bath products it's so so planning a funeral all kinds of different things. Definitely worth your while but extremely hard to find now. Amazon is offering one for $100

3 minutes ago, Stoppingby said:

Is there something like this for boys?

Other than "Godly Womanhood" I don't think the rest of the leson are gendered unless you want them to be. $100 is certainly a tall order - maybe it would be cheaper to get books for each skill

Much of th value of the book seems to b the skill list and book list so maybe someone who has it can give us a bibliography 

Edited by Malam