Menu

Boy meets, the facts of life...I tried not to laugh.

Since we have ducks and ducks are, during mating season, rather active, plus we have the lamb rescue during lambing season, we use animal husbandry as a good jumping off point for conversing easily about human s**uality. Though some of you might think that's kind of crude, I must say that it is quite effective. Animals do what animals are going to do and so the kids will ask the inevitable questions...it is very relaxed and there is far less embarassment for them, when we answer their questions and then follow up with a little information about humans in this regard. I can't believe, for the most part, how much easier it has made those kinds of conversations. Really, we've had some pretty good talks while mucking out a stable, herding a recently lambed ewe and her offspring into a stall, looking for the abandoned afterbirth so it won't attract wild animals, etc.

So, today while we were trying to get the now dead lamb to take some colostrum from an eye dropper, ds 10 made a comment about how difficult it is to feed a baby this way. I said, "Yeah....when you were first born, you needed a couple of medical tests and had to be away from me when you were hungry. Since I was nursing you, the pediatrician doing the test had the nurse give you a little formula with an eye dropper...I doubt that was easy either and you were probably pretty frustrated."

He got this look of horror on his face. "Mom, you NURSED ME! I didn't take a bottle?????"

"No son, I nursed you for four months until I had a health crisis and couldn't take care of you for a couple of weeks. Then you took bottles. It's easy to not think about things like that isn't since human moms keep their udders - breasts - covered up under clothing which is our version of fur."

He went white in the face and announced, "I think I'm going to throw up!" and ran from the room.

Never, ever, ever a dull day at this house. I think if we actually had a dull one, I'd probably faint.

Faith

Since we have ducks and ducks are, during mating season, rather active, plus we have the lamb rescue during lambing season, we use animal husbandry as a good jumping off point for conversing easily about human s**uality. Though some of you might think that's kind of crude, I must say that it is quite effective. Animals do what animals are going to do and so the kids will ask the inevitable questions...it is very relaxed and there is far less embarassment for them, when we answer their questions and then follow up with a little information about humans in this regard. I can't believe, for the most part, how much easier it has made those kinds of conversations. Really, we've had some pretty good talks while mucking out a stable, herding a recently lambed ewe and her offspring into a stall, looking for the abandoned afterbirth so it won't attract wild animals, etc.

So, today while we were trying to get the now dead lamb to take some colostrum from an eye dropper, ds 10 made a comment about how difficult it is to feed a baby this way. I said, "Yeah....when you were first born, you needed a couple of medical tests and had to be away from me when you were hungry. Since I was nursing you, the pediatrician doing the test had the nurse give you a little formula with an eye dropper...I doubt that was easy either and you were probably pretty frustrated."

He got this look of horror on his face. "Mom, you NURSED ME! I didn't take a bottle?????"

"No son, I nursed you for four months until I had a health crisis and couldn't take care of you for a couple of weeks. Then you took bottles. It's easy to not think about things like that isn't since human moms keep their udders - breasts - covered up under clothing which is our version of fur."

He went white in the face and announced, "I think I'm going to throw up!" and ran from the room.

Never, ever, ever a dull day at this house. I think if we actually had a dull one, I'd probably faint.

Faith

:smilielol5: That's great! :iagree: I think that making this connection as a springboard for having this kind of "talk" is excellent. I often wonder why soooo many parents are so uncomfortable talking to their children about reproduction. I try to keep the tone of my voice the same as if I were discussing the ingredients of a recipe so my kids won't think we're talking about something -- gasp! -- "dirty." ;) However, when discussing such sensitive topics, I do make them promise to keep this "between us" because every child deserves the right to hear about how special this all is from their own parents.

Oh, Faith, sorry to hear about the passing of the little lamb. :(

Faith

That's hilarious! :lol:

That was pretty much my reaction when I first learned about tea. "YOU didn't do that!"