Menu

s/o--potential college doesn't like DE classes, EC activities, etc.

distancia

mRant here. D has applied to a few state schools now and has been accepted into all of them, no questions asked about her homeschooling background. All of them invited her into their Honors program--one director called D personally and asked to speak with her. After a few minutes discussion he informed her that he was waiving the essay requirement because her level of articulation was more than sufficient.

Now, the school DD really has her heart set on: they don't like DE credits, they give preference to AP and IB students. They don't care about extra-curricular activities; those rate at the bottom of the list of criteria. Test scores are in the middle of the ranking.

Ironically, these are DD's best and most highly rated items! She did not take AP or IB in a rigorous high school; she has no class rank; and her GPA is based on "mom grades" and DE courses which have little weight at this school. Her SAT scores are far above the 75% percentile of admitted freshman, but that only counts so-so. And the fact that she won some national awards (and scholarships!) for community service....oh, well.

Other students who have applied after DD are already getting their acceptance letters. Not only that, DD knows some of these students and she also knows for a fact that they haven't tested as well as she (thank you, Facebook), nor have they done the ECs that she has. Yes, they have taken some AP courses but nothing like the credit load she has carried at CC.

Grrr.:rant:

Okay I'm done my tirade. Thanks for listening.

Edited by distancia

:grouphug: Hopefully it will work out for her.

We've run into schools that prefer AP to DE too. It seems more common than I would have expected.

That said, I would have thought her test scores should be worth something (a major something). Has she checked with the school to be certain part of her application didn't get misplaced and they are "waiting" on it? That happens once in a while.

Thanks for the hug.

Good point--I'll suggest she call (or write) and ask if there is anything more she needs for her application packet.

One of the girls who just got accepted posted her essay online. It was okay, nothing great, about the level of an Honors high school student. Lots of errors, run-ons, and choppy sentences. Non-agreement in tenses. She took 2 AP classes last year and got exam credit for 1, failed 1. This year she is taking 3 AP and results are pending until June. [i know all this from MyChances.net, she's registered there and shows her profile]

OTOH, my DD has taken 5 DE classes ( 2 of which were 4 credit w/labs), passed 2 CLEPS exams, and is working on 4 more CC classes.

My biggest gripe as I have told hubby is that this school makes no pretense about wanting well-rounded students. They want bookworms who fit a particular mold.

I don't want to talk D out of the school, it will be her decision, but I think she is too well-rounded for a good fit. Yes, she is an intellectual, but she is also balanced, and she might feel a bit--how would you say, confined?--by the one-sidedness of the student body.

I want to tell her to stop being like Groucho Marx: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" and just go with the best school that wants her and woos here, not the school that gives her the "meh" treatment. :banghead:

CAn you tell us this school? It would help other parents who are trying to help their children decide on which schools to apply to (for those with juniors or younger). I think we need a list of schools of shame. I don't have a school name right now but there is one school that my daughter did not apply to specifically because they asked for much more than any other school for homeschoolers. It was a Common Application school and while we would have submitted the homeschool supplement, like we did to many schools, it was for other things that they wanted.

CAn you tell us this school? It would help other parents who are trying to help their children decide on which schools to apply to (for those with juniors or younger). I think we need a list of schools of shame. I don't have a school name right now but there is one school that my daughter did not apply to specifically because they asked for much more than any other school for homeschoolers. It was a Common Application school and while we would have submitted the homeschool supplement, like we did to many schools, it was for other things that they wanted.

Goodness, most of the VA unis want more from homeschoolers than other applicants. Many of them 3-5 SAT2s that they do not require from other students.

Well that certainly is one of the big reasons why my d did not apply to any VA state schools. The other, even bigger reason, is that VA is not friendly to military and we would have to pay OOS tuition because I don't work here. No loss to her since she has no particular love of VA and she had plenty of great other schools to choose from which didn't ask for extra hoops to jump for or treat her in any way as a second class citizen.

OP= how do you know all about what they consider and how they weigh? I mean, I have no idea (other than the colleges' own websites or books like The Best Colleges) what anyone considers. I figure that they often consider different things in different applicants unless they are a large state school which does things solely by stats and probably even by computer. What anyone did with our transcript, I don't know. Some colleges may have removed all weights, some may have removed some courses, some may have compared apples with oranges- I really don't know. All I know is that it isn't simply homeschoolers who are disappointed with lack of transparency-both in acceptances and denials and also in awarding of merit and financial aid. Head on over to College Confidential and you will get a lifetime full of complaints.

If you do a little digging, many universities have graphs and charts and tables that show what, exactly, is required for admission. There is some flexibility, of course: if you are the parent of a child with average SAT scores and average grades, but you, the parent, happen to be a Senator, then the chances are your child will be accepted at X university, ultimately unseating a student with a higher GPA and/or test scores. Ditto for athletes, etc.

Florida public schools are very receptive to home-educated students and, unlike VA, make no additional demands of them when applying for admission.

Since I am most familiar with Florida public schools, here is an actual link that very clearly states what is required of applicants--whether they come from public, private, or home schools, it's one and the same:

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/Admissions/Freshmen/freshman-requirements.aspx

And if you go down to the Test Scores part, and click on the red, high-lighted, underlined "eligibility matrix", a cool chart will come up (helps if you zoom in on it to read it--hit CTRL and + on your keyboard) that makes the admissions process very cut and dried. You either fit, or you don't fit.

In the case of my daughter, she fell into the dark green #1 block. So, she should have first option to be admitted whether or not she is home schooled. And in her particular case she was admitted within a week of her application, no questions asked. No looking at her work portfolio, no asking for an essay, no request for elaboration on her "Mom" grades (just a one-page transcript with a one-page Reading List attachment and Statement of Philosophy). My daughter is taking community college classes (dual enrollment) so that increases her GPA (see the first link I sent you, under Admissions GPA) and it further provides some support for the Mom transcript, as does DD's SAT scores.

Just yesterday my DD received a "Congratulations! You have been admitted to the University Honors Program at Uni of XXXX. This offer is based upon your impressive academic performance and promise....Among the many benefits...$4,000 Honors Program scholarship....$500 travel/research stipend for Senior Thesis....Academic Honors....Priority housing and registrations...Private Honors lounge in the historic...."

My DD had never applied to this program, had not solicited it; in fact, she had done nothing (other than academic achievement) to be chosen. So you can see, there is no bias against home-schooled students in this state Uni.

As other FL parents have stated, we feel very lucky to be in such a "home- school friendly" state.

If your daughter has her heart set on this school, I would call them and talk to someone. I learned a long time ago (during applications for my husband's residency) that these files,apps, etc are in the hands of humans so they may get lost, set somewhere and forgotten, etc. I, also, know that my son applied to several colleges, private and public, and FSU Honors was the last one he heard from and now they can't leave him alone. All his friends received their Honors acceptance with admittance, and my son was all in a huff about them. He is now in public school in SWFL so his transcript is 2 years of home school with challenging work but no AP courses so no weighted GPA. In the last 2 years of public high school, he has taken almost all AP courses; but he will not graduate as highly as others because of the first two years. One private school he applied to gives out merit scholarship strictly on GPA/class ranking/tests scores. Well, although his tests scores are high, his class ranking will only be in the top 16% so he gets less for not being in the top 10% - that is their formula and they make no exceptions! Ok, that is my rant!

Anyway, all of a sudden, we were printing forms to petition FSU for Honors acceptance, and they email and send all these scholarship apps, Honors acceptance, and urge him to apply for the accelerated med program there. I wonder if his application was stuck under something since it was a month later than his classmates? Or the home school students were in a different pile? Who knows! I always feel like if you are curious or eager or confused, call and talk to someone and then maybe, someone else!!

Good luck,

ReneeR

It would be so helpful to us who are early the game (DS is in 8th grade) to know which schools prefer DE vs. AP. Can we put together some sort of list? Any thoughts as to how?

Thanks!

It would be so helpful to us who are early the game (DS is in 8th grade) to know which schools prefer DE vs. AP. Can we put together some sort of list? Any thoughts as to how?

Thanks!

I haven't really seen any schools that prefer DE. There are many, especially state schools (but also some private), that allow credit for either, especially when the class is not in the major chosen.

Then there are some that allow credit for AP, but not DE (U of Rochester comes to mind, but it's not the only one I've seen, just the first that comes to mind this morning).

Then there are some that don't allow credit for either (mostly higher ranked and higher prestige schools).

Then there are schools like Princeton (and, I think, the Service Academies) that don't allow credit for anything at all - not even other top college courses. (Everyone at Princeton must enter as a freshman, no transfers.)

Then there are those who might want to attend med school. Med schools do not want to see AP or CC credit for their pre-req courses unless you continue in a 4 year school with taking 2 additional courses (beyond what the AP or CC covered - effectively meaning they didn't accept the credit since they only want 2 courses in each of their pre-req fields).

However, that all said, the vast majority of schools want to see either AP or CC for students to be competitive to get admitted or for competitive scholarships. This is generally doubly true for homeschooled students. State schools and lower ranked private schools are generally the most lenient. However, even when I went with oldest son to a [top] state U for their admissions seminar for prospective students, one student in the group asked, "Will my AP classes help me get accepted?" The admissions counselor (adcom) replied, "No, I can't say they will, because in this day and age everyone who applies has AP classes so you're just normal if you're taking them." Personally, I KNOW not everyone who applies has AP classes (our local ps doesn't even offer them - though does allow cc classes for seniors), but I imagine those who don't have them are at a disadvantage based on what she said - not just homeschoolers.

My oldest only had one cc course before he applied and got accepted at a private Christian college (his #1 choice). He also had a very good ACT score, great letters of recommendation, decent extra curriculars, and a nice, outgoing personality (useful for interviews). However, he didn't win top scholarships at his college, though he did get nice merit and need-based aid from them and won two outside scholarships one of which was very significant. He also wasn't entering a competitive major (international development and business).

Middle son is going into a competitive field (pre-med). As a junior he's had 2 cc classes (would have had more, but we ran out of money) and I'm having him take one AP test. He has an excellent ACT score. Both of his CC profs will write excellent letters of recommendation. I feel certain he will get in to the majority of schools he's going to apply to and has at least one where he's already guaranteed free tuition, but that one isn't as highly ranked as others on his list. He will be competing against others who have oodles more AP for those scholarships. I'll know in a little over a year if we've done enough or not. Competitive fields are competitive. I'm hoping for the best.

Homeschoolers are just like ps students in many aspects when it comes to admission at most schools (California state schools being the exception). For top colleges, ALL students must be competitive. For lower rated colleges, less is needed. What one needs depends on their particular goal. Hence, the best advice on here for "what's needed" is to check with the individual college one might want to attend and plan accordingly.

Thanks!

One thing that needs to be kept in mind: colleges change their policies.

Let me give you a couple of examples based on things we heard. "When I attended Rah-Rah U, I matriculated as a sophomore because of AP." A decade ago, more colleges gave credit for 3's on AP exams. Today, the most competitive colleges only give credit for 5's and then they may limit the number of credits to three courses.

Transferring credit from a community college to an out of state university can be dicey. Many CCs have articulation agreements with the unis in the same state. If you know that your student is most likely attending a state university, then dual enrollment at a CC or state uni may be an easy transfer. Is it preferable over AP? That may depend on the course selection. If you have a student who is a serious musician, for example, taking classes as a dual enrollment student in a strong music department may be more meaningful than a score on the AP music theory exam. (I am only speculating here.) But a 5 on APUSH may hold more weight than two semesters of CC American History.

There are two issues here though. One is whether your son will be seeking credit for those dual enrollment courses or whether the immediate goal is a competitive transcript to help gain admission into a competitive college. There are no hard and fast rules, as I see it. Furthermore, colleges change the rules on a regular basis. So be leery when someone assures you that such and such school prefers this or that based on their experience in 1990.

Hope this helps...

Jane

I think it really is prudent to actually have a feel for what your child might just possibly want to major in as early as the freshman year of high school and then begin looking at colleges that offer this...institutions that might be appealing and check out their admission's preferences. They may change some in four years, but it's a good place to start.

Then one should also very, very carefully research the reputation of the local C.C.'s and not from the standpoint of what students and professors at those C.C.'s will tell you or the parents of other homeschoolers taking classes, but activiely find out what state, private, and top tier schools think of these programs.

The reason I say this is because many, many homeschoolers in our area have jumped on the D.E. bandwagon for high school. We've got two C.C.'s within a 15 minute drive from here and they are cheap. A huge number of local homeschoolers are taking classes at these colleges and a huge number of these students and parents are going to be sorely hurting after spending the money to do so. These two institutions have literally THE WORST reputations in the state. Not that every class is bad by any stretch. There is a lot of learning going on in some classes...especially the computer and business classes that are taught by local, hard nosed, "we've been in the trenches and know what you need to learn" professionals. But, the administration is a joke, they refuse to fail anyone because that would be bad for business so it's a well known fact that if you enroll, you pass....you can skip class, you can sleep through class, you can fail every exam...you will be given a C. Because of this, their credits are not transferable to any of our state schools and most of the private colleges except a few business schools will accept them.

I am not saying this is anyone's case and certainly not Creekland's. But, if the college her dd is seeking to attend has had some bad experiences with DE students who went to sub-par C.C.'s, it may have seriously jaded them against DE. Some will out and out give lower priority to all DE students and CC tranfers students, others will evaluate specifically according to which C.C.'s the student matriculates from.

60 minutes away from here, there are two C.C's that are outstanding. High standards, great faculty, constantly updating programs, pay enough to attract a decent staff and faculty, etc. They are feeder schools to U of M and there isn' any public or private school in Michigan that doesn't accept their students and most of the time, they are tickled to have them. So, reputation and the experience of the institution the DE/CC student is seeking entrance to is really important.

So, that's why I bring it up. I'm sure that the OP's daughter went to a good C.C. But, all C.C.'s aren't created equal and it's money thrown down a rabbit hole if one does not really do your research thoroughly before choosing DE/CC for your child before enrolling them.

Creekland, I really hope it works out for your child. This is a very frustrating aspect of college admissions. Like everything else in the world, it is quite arbitrary at times. I wish there was more emphasis placed on the interview process.

Faith

I So, that's why I bring it up. I'm sure that the OP's daughter went to a good C.C. But, all C.C.'s aren't created equal and it's money thrown down a rabbit hole if one does not really do your research thoroughly before choosing DE/CC for your child before enrolling them.

Creekland, I really hope it works out for your child. This is a very frustrating aspect of college admissions. Like everything else in the world, it is quite arbitrary at times. I wish there was more emphasis placed on the interview process.

Faith

I guess I'm not looking at it as throwing money away. It only costs 75 dollars to take a class at my CC ( 25 dollars an college hour). The Spanish teacher is supposed to be good. So, I really don't care if the colleges don't take it. (They probably will.) He gets Spanish and I don't have to pay $$$$ for something like Rosetta Stone or a private tutor.

Now on the other hand, he will not be taking his math and science there since he will probably major in computer science or computer science/engineering. Although I'm kind of at a loss about what to do about AP Chemistry next year. I guess he'll just do Apologia Advanced at home with AP study book and see how it goes. But I will have him take the entry level class when he goes to his college of choice unless that is the only class he has to take in Chemistry, then we might try for the credit. But anything he has to build on, I won't take at a CC.

Another reason for CC is to get my oldest out of the house and interacting with other people. I can't get him to do extra-curricular. And he basically holes up in his room. This way he must interact.

Christine

I guess I'm not looking at it as throwing money away. It only costs 75 dollars to take a class at my CC ( 25 dollars an college hour). The Spanish teacher is supposed to be good. So, I really don't care if the colleges don't take it. (They probably will.) He gets Spanish and I don't have to pay $$$$ for something like Rosetta Stone or a private tutor.

Christine

Ok, I'm jealous. We have to pay $220 per credit hour for courses here. That's $660 for a 3 credit hour course and $880 for a 4 credit hour course. I paid $1500 for 2 courses for my junior last semester. I'd love it if I could have just paid $175!

And yes, as with all colleges, cc's differ in quality. That IS the reason many adcoms have told me they won't allow cc credit either within the major or not at all. Our state schools allow them and a few privates will too, but many others don't. They just don't necessarily know if they are equivalent classes or not.

My oldest got to transfer his 3 credits as his course (English) wasn't in his major.

My middle son might be able to transfer one of his courses (Effective Speaking). Even if the college allowed him to keep credits for the other we probably won't accept them as it was a science course (Microbio) and med schools could frown upon it down the road. So, in our case, it was $880 spent just for the A in the course to add to the application for admission and scholarships (plus, he loved the course). I'm pretty certain his letter of recommendation from that prof will be worth its weight in gold too (my guy literally only missed one small question out of the whole semester - the rest was 100% - higher with the extra credit he got). $880 is a lot of money for one high school course (then books were extra $$), but if he gains admission and significant scholarship money, it could have been a good investment. We picked the Effective Speaking class with future scholarships in mind too. He learned a LOT about communication in that class and got another A. ;)

We're trying to really carefully plan the best use of our $$ as he prepares for next year's application process. Many academic classes can be learned at home, then take the SAT 2, if needed, or just show the grade on the transcript and assume the ACT will show competence. Stats will be his AP choice as credit might be granted and acceptable for that. Microbio (esp labs) and Effective Speaking were two we thought would best be done at the cc.

Everyone needs to make their choices based on what is available around them and the goals of their student (plus financial considerations).

But, all C.C.'s aren't created equal and it's money thrown down a rabbit hole if one does not really do your research thoroughly before choosing DE/CC for your child before enrolling them.

Faith

I absolutely agree with this, though both CC systems that we have been involved with have been pitiful. The CCs here are expensive, so it isn't even a cheap option.

I feel caught between a rock and a hard place, though. The state unis have complete reciprocity with the CCs and like seeing the courses on transcripts. After having our Aspie take classes there, it is not based on others that I am assessing the poor quality. They are a joke.

My 11th grader has serious test anxiety. (the pull over and let me throw up on the way to the test kind) So......do you put all your eggs in the single AP test or do I pay a lot of $$ for classes that I know I can do better than at home?

Makes me crazy!

Yep, it is because we pay taxes to this school. If we lived outside the district it would be more. I did discover that there are other fees equaling 24 dollars per hour in addition to tuition, so it will be a little bit more. 147 dollars instead. But if I didn't pay taxes it would be much more. I'm not sure if they charge this for dual credit or not though.. I'm not sure the people in the actual high school pay anything at all. I'll have to check into it:

Simplified Chart for Estimating Tuition by Residency Status

Semester Hours

In District

Out of District

Non-Resident

of State

Non-Resident Summer

$49

$104

$279

$173

Ok, I'm jealous. We have to pay $220 per credit hour for courses here. That's $660 for a 3 credit hour course and $880 for a 4 credit hour course. I paid $1500 for 2 courses for my junior last semester. I'd love it if I could have just paid $175!

s).

I am the OP and I don't want to hijack my own thread, but my daughter is currently taking Independent Study Courses (self-paced, online courses) through the University of Idaho, a regionally accredited university. http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/isi/ We are paying about $475+/- for a 4 credit course, fully transferable. These are extremely well-taught courses. [she has taken several courses through different schools and U of Idaho's are hands down the most thorough]. U of Idaho has a pretty decent reputation: 50th percentile of accepted Freshman are scoring 1950 on their SATs. So, if it came down to me paying the same amount for a CC course or a decent 4-year Uni, I would opt for UI.

About the AP vs. DE issue, as another poster mentioned, "everybody who is applying here has taken AP". Well, that seems about the case, and unfortunately, AP is now becoming what Honors used to be. The fact that something like only 1 out of 6 students passes (with a 3 or higher) the final AP exam, though, is quite telling: if a student can't score a 3 on the AP exam--after having an entire year to go through the material!--would that student do any better in a decent CommColl course that covers most of the same material (granted, not as in-depth) in half the amount of time?

Too many unqualified students are being enrolled in AP just to make figures look good. I think some colleges are catching on to this. If a student makes an A in an AP class but scores only a 1 the final exam (usually having had a month-long review prior to the exam), then something doesn't add up--and I suspect it's grade inflation on the part of the AP instructor.

Edited by distancia

The thing I don't get about AP is that many of the classes are not even that rigorous, and a lot of colleges no longer give credit for passing the exam. If that is the case, and I feel I could teach better at home using Great Books, why even bother with AP? Isn't there some other outside way to verify skills for the purposes of college admissions?

(I ask because I was a High School teacher and thinking about planning High School is infinitely more fun than actually teaching Kindergarten :D.)

The thing I don't get about AP is that many of the classes are not even that rigorous, and a lot of colleges no longer give credit for passing the exam. If that is the case, and I feel I could teach better at home using Great Books, why even bother with AP? Isn't there some other outside way to verify skills for the purposes of college admissions?

(I ask because I was a High School teacher and thinking about planning High School is infinitely more fun than actually teaching Kindergarten :D.)

Taking the AP exam (or in some cases, SAT II) is the way to verify the grade given in the course. One doesn't have to take an outside class first.

I am the OP and I don't want to hijack my own thread, but my daughter is currently taking Independent Study Courses (self-paced, online courses) through the University of Idaho, a regionally accredited university. http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/isi/ We are paying about $475+/- for a 4 credit course, fully transferable. These are extremely well-taught courses. [she has taken several courses through different schools and U of Idaho's are hands down the most thorough]. U of Idaho has a pretty decent reputation: 50th percentile of accepted Freshman are scoring 1950 on their SATs. So, if it came down to me paying the same amount for a CC course or a decent 4-year Uni, I would opt for UI.

About the AP vs. DE issue, as another poster mentioned, "everybody who is applying here has taken AP". Well, that seems about the case, and unfortunately, AP is now becoming what Honors used to be. The fact that something like only 1 out of 6 students passes (with a 3 or higher) the final AP exam, though, is quite telling: if a student can't score a 3 on the AP exam--after having an entire year to go through the material!--would that student do any better in a decent CommColl course that covers most of the same material (granted, not as in-depth) in half the amount of time?

Too many unqualified students are being enrolled in AP just to make figures look good. I think some colleges are catching on to this. If a student makes an A in an AP class but scores only a 1 the final exam (usually having had a month-long review prior to the exam), then something doesn't add up--and I suspect it's grade inflation on the part of the AP instructor.

Thanks for the info, but in our case part of what I felt we were paying for was the microbio lab and the interaction with the effective speaking class. An online class couldn't substitute for what we wanted with those. For English or other subjects it would be something to consider.

Otherwise, I fully agree with the rest of your post. AP classes and doing well on the AP test are two totally different issues. I don't know of any college that will give credit for the class alone. They give credit for a 4 or 5 on the test (if they give credit at all). AP without the "final" is just an Honors class I suspect.

Now, the school DD really has her heart set on: they don't like DE credits, they give preference to AP and IB students. They don't care about extra-curricular activities; those rate at the bottom of the list of criteria. Test scores are in the middle of the ranking.

If this is New College, I doubt they accept transfer credits much anyway since they have a very different teaching style. It seems almost like un-schooling. From what I hear, it is very much 100% academic focus with a touchy-feely bent. Not the standard textbook & lab type.