Menu

Homeschooling Cheaply Overseas

Hi,

My sister-in-law went overseas unexpectedly in December due to a family member's death. She is now going to stay there until May.

Now she needs to figure out how to educate her 5 and 7 yo dds while they are there. They are residents of MI. I told her to email the school to tell them she was homeschooling them for the rest of the school year overseas and to get a letter from them so she can have a hard copy of their acknowledgement.

Now I need to help her with the details!

For starters: she most likely will not have access to an APO and she will not have access to many books in English, so most of her resources will have to be online.

I am willing, of course, to have resources shipped to me and I can ship them to her, but that could take a while!

Secondly, she has little money. So, she would not be able to afford Sonlight or something like that. Are there cheaper boxed curriculum choices?

She is a Christian and would prefer Christian-based materials.

I guess I'm basically asking for free (or cheap) online resources to educate her children in all areas, although a good boxed curriculum would be very convenient, too (as long as it's affordable!)...

I'm going to suggest focusing on reading/language arts and math to keep things doable and affordable.

Thanks!

I wrote an email to my SIL after I posted this and checked out Rod and Staff for her 7yo. I think that might suffice, if she can afford it.

I suggested that her 5yo just check out starfall.com and a free math game website I found when I searched the K-8 forum. But what if she doesn't have internet access at home?

What would be good recommendations for phonics and math?

I use PP and RSMath for my youngsters...I could suggest PP, because it's so complete and all in one book! But RS might be too expensive...

Do you have favorite phonics or math workbooks you can buy at Target or Amazon that I could pick up for the 5yo?

Workbooks might keep things doable for them, esp if they're not going to homeschool long-term...right?

Sorry so long!

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!

I am only a recent afterschooler, but these ideas jumped out:

Starfall for the youngest, depending on current reading level. Also, I've been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100EZ Lessons. Good results so far, and inexpensive to buy. Spelling City for the oldest or both even. Math for both can be faked easily with a white board and online grade level standards to keep on track. There's easily enough online for science and social studies/geography.

For those ages and for the relatively short time they will be gone, I wouldn't stress about finding materials.

It may be likely there are some English books in the library in which she could use as a read-aloud.

Just have her bring her normal math program.

I would call the rest "life experience which few people get" and call it good.

Her kids are so young.

You know how some say "The baby is the lesson," when a new baby interrupts the normal HS routine? I think in this case the country they're visiting is the lesson.

However, if she feels she must do some formal academics and internet access may be spotty, try Ordinary Parents Guide or PP for reading and a Math Mammoth topic unit download. Get some Mad Libs for learning parts of speech :001_smile:. That's about... $40 altogether?

As for history, geography and everything else I'd just focus on learning about the country they're visiting.

Could you raid a thrift store or library book sale and load up on 25 cent paperbacks of classic children's books for her to use for read alouds?

For those ages and for the relatively short time they will be gone, I wouldn't stress about finding materials.

That's a good reminder...I think she's going to put them back in public school next year when they return, and the girls are so young...so, it wouldn't be wise to invest a lot of time and money into it...

It may be likely there are some English books in the library in which she could use as a read-aloud.

I don't know what kind of books she'll be able to find in Korea. I forgot to mention she's there.

Just have her bring her normal math program.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the girls were in public school before they left the country! Sorry!

I would call the rest "life experience which few people get" and call it good.

I actually suggested that she put them in Korean school, as they do know the language (my family is Korean-American). It is a once-in-a-lifetime type thing!

Her kids are so young.

Thanks for your input!

You know how some say "The baby is the lesson," when a new baby interrupts the normal HS routine? I think in this case the country they're visiting is the lesson.

However, if she feels she must do some formal academics and internet access may be spotty, try Ordinary Parents Guide or PP for reading and a Math Mammoth topic unit download. Get some Mad Libs for learning parts of speech :001_smile:. That's about... $40 altogether?

Thanks, I'll have to check out Math Mammoth!

As for history, geography and everything else I'd just focus on learning about the country they're visiting.

Great idea! Next question: is there a resource that has a good guide or outline in "how to study a country"?

Could you raid a thrift store or library book sale and load up on 25 cent paperbacks of classic children's books for her to use for read alouds?

Another good idea! We have loads of books in our own library, too, doubles, even, that we could send them!

Thanks!

I am only a recent afterschooler, but these ideas jumped out:

Starfall for the youngest, depending on current reading level. Also, I've been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100EZ Lessons. Good results so far, and inexpensive to buy. Spelling City for the oldest or both even. Math for both can be faked easily with a white board and online grade level standards to keep on track. There's easily enough online for science and social studies/geography.

Thanks, I'll be checking out Spelling City!

I have to make dinner now, but will be checking in tomorrow. Thank you for your advice!!!

:)

You don't need a book telling you how to study a country you are in. You go out, talk about what you see, eat something interesting, then come back home and look up Wikipedia. If the article and chat with family provides really interesting details, go back and do it again so you can enjoy those cool details you missed the first time. That's thorough enough.

The kids are small. Study the country for the now of it. In ten years time, they will only remember shadows of experiences even with the help of photos.

If it were me, I wouldn't be bothering with anything formal past reading and handwriting practice, and possibly maths. And it would be a good time for nature study.

Rosie

:iagree:

This is just what I was going to suggest. OPG for reading, MM for math, some classic literature for read alouds, and get out and about in South Korea for the rest. Get some library books there for the history, do nature studies, etc.

You don't need a book telling you how to study a country you are in. You go out, talk about what you see, eat something interesting, then come back home and look up Wikipedia. If the article and chat with family provides really interesting details, go back and do it again so you can enjoy those cool details you missed the first time. That's thorough enough.

The kids are small. Study the country for the now of it. In ten years time, they will only remember shadows of experiences even with the help of photos.

If it were me, I wouldn't be bothering with anything formal past reading and handwriting practice, and possibly maths. And it would be a good time for nature study.

Rosie

I know when I lived in a foreign country with my family for 2 1/2 years as a K'er (through 2nd grade) I didn't absorb much!

Hmmm, I think I'm trying to anticipate what my SIL is going to ask me...which is a bad habit I have when I'm relating to someone I don't know well...oh, well. Thanks, again!

Hmmm, I think I'm trying to anticipate what my SIL is going to ask me...which is a bad habit I have when I'm relating to someone I don't know well...oh, well. Thanks, again!

No, it's a good habit. It means you have the information already thought out before they ask.

Rosie- exactly the same so possibly biased :D

For four months and kids that age, I really wouldn't worry about it much. I would get an ereader and buy some ebooks (although children's books aren't as widely available as ebooks as they should be). I'd download SOTW 1 for my kids to listen to. I'd probably do some math with them, something online. And I'd get out of the house as often as I could

I lived overseas with my oldest two when they were that age. I had all sorts of plans for homeschooling before I went, but it turned out that just living in Kyrgyzstan was enough when they were that age. We listened to lots of audiobooks and I read a lot to them a lot, and they learned to read well that year. They are now 5 years older and I don't regret anything we didn't do that year.

I think this is the way to go, no matter where you live. It would save people so much aggravation, and so many little kids pathetic crying jags. :D

Rosie

Rosie

This is spot on. I am a habitual collector of workbooks to study this or that country or area. And for the most part, they are terribly superficial and really designed for kids who have never thought about there being other countries.

If you have some used book stores or thrift stores, you might be able to get some good fiction books on Korea. Look at the listing for Sonlight's Core 5 to see some titles/authors that might be good read alouds. (NB: the book Far from the Bamboo Grove is set in Korea, but has a Japanese girl as the protagonist and might not be the best intro to Korea.)

I think the book we read was The Kite Flyers. A Single Shard is also often recommended. Tales from a Korean Grandmother was also a favorite.

Then I would suggest that your SIL just get a binder and some blank paper. Have them brainstorm things they'd like to know about (with some examples from our recent experience living in Asia, though that was Japan):

Religion

Food (both traditional and popular modern food, for example, different flavors of Kit Kats and Pringles are huge in Japan [which we just left] and there are vending machines everywhere with the most wild flavor of drink you can imagine. Asia isn't just noodles and rice with fish anymore.) If she's around family, could they collect some family recipes and/or take pictures of extended family teaching them how to cook family favorites

Dress (Would some of the extended family help to dress them in traditional clothes and take them somewhere appropriate, like to a festival.)

Kid's games

Music (from traditional songs and instruments to kids' chants to modern K=pop)

Holidays

Animals (Japan had some good birds, but not so many other larger animals. But they did have tanuki (racoon dogs), which seem to be rather unique and were often around our scout camp sites)

Plants (My kids hadn't ever really been around bamboo until we moved to Japan.)

Housing (do family members live in apartments or houses? Are the houses traditional or modern? What does traditional architecture look like?

Folk stories or family stories

Different traditions How are customs different? Do they wear shoes in the house? How do you greet someone? Is it proper to talk on public transportation? Are there traditional gifts for a wedding/baby/new house/funeral? What are some popular sayings and what do they mean? What do you do/say after someone sneezes? How do you say good bye?

If the kids don't know much Korean yet, can they learn some while they are there?

I would suggest that she invest the time in experiences with the family that is still there, some travel and just lots of experiences, documented with narration and pictures (child drawn and photos). Throw in some easy math and they are probably fine.

Can she buy an ereader (kindle, nook) and then get read-alouds via download? I'd be checking to see what sort of educational materials I could get electronically and/or online for that short a time.

Thanks for the idea, but money is super tight for them right now! It would be the most convenient way to do read-alouds, though, that's for sure!

I lived overseas with my oldest two when they were that age. I had all sorts of plans for homeschooling before I went, but it turned out that just living in Kyrgyzstan was enough when they were that age. We listened to lots of audiobooks and I read a lot to them a lot, and they learned to read well that year. They are now 5 years older and I don't regret anything we didn't do that year.

Thanks for your testimony, that's GREAT! I'll pass it on to SIL :)

What is the mandatory attendance age in her town? When I live it's 7. If that is the case in her community, she doesn't need to do anything for the town. Even if they were enrolled in school.

Excellent question. HSLDA says the compulsory age is 6 for MI. And check this out from HSLDA's website:

Option I: Home School Statute Option. MCLA § 380.1561(3)(f) (effective July 1, 1996).

1. A child is not required to attend a public school if:

"The child is being educated at the child’s home by his or her parent or legal guardian in an organized educational program in the subject areas of reading, spelling, mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar."

2. There are no requirements to notify, seek approval, test, file forms, or have any certain teacher qualifications. The burden is on the state to prove that the parents are not teaching their children.

That sounds good for SIL. She won't need a letter, then, from the school saying she has pulled them out for the 4 months, correct? She already contacted the school and the school said they'd just take the girls out. I wonder if that will make it hard for SIL to re-register them later?

Then I would suggest that your SIL just get a binder and some blank paper. Have them brainstorm things they'd like to know about (with some examples from our recent experience living in Asia, though that was Japan):

Religion

Food (both traditional and popular modern food, for example, different flavors of Kit Kats and Pringles are huge in Japan [which we just left] and there are vending machines everywhere with the most wild flavor of drink you can imagine. Asia isn't just noodles and rice with fish anymore.) If she's around family, could they collect some family recipes and/or take pictures of extended family teaching them how to cook family favorites

Dress (Would some of the extended family help to dress them in traditional clothes and take them somewhere appropriate, like to a festival.)

Kid's games

Music (from traditional songs and instruments to kids' chants to modern K=pop)

Holidays

Animals (Japan had some good birds, but not so many other larger animals. But they did have tanuki (racoon dogs), which seem to be rather unique and were often around our scout camp sites)

Plants (My kids hadn't ever really been around bamboo until we moved to Japan.)

Housing (do family members live in apartments or houses? Are the houses traditional or modern? What does traditional architecture look like?

Folk stories or family stories

Different traditions How are customs different? Do they wear shoes in the house? How do you greet someone? Is it proper to talk on public transportation? Are there traditional gifts for a wedding/baby/new house/funeral? What are some popular sayings and what do they mean? What do you do/say after someone sneezes? How do you say good bye?

If the kids don't know much Korean yet, can they learn some while they are there?

I would suggest that she invest the time in experiences with the family that is still there, some travel and just lots of experiences, documented with narration and pictures (child drawn and photos). Throw in some easy math and they are probably fine.

Wow, thanks for this list! I actually emailed her the exact same idea: a binder with paper to record their Korea experience, but I did NOT include all those awesome ideas! I'll be passing these on! :)

There are such great things on Librivox. Start with this:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Recordings_of_Books_on_the_Ambleside_List

MEP and Math Mammoth are both nice; Freely Educate, and some threads listed here, have lots of other free resources listed.

I've seen some neat podcasts like

http://storynory.com/ <-- more stories

http://www.classicsforkids.com/ <-- classical music

Also there's a coupon for a free year of this, you can find on the Freely Educate website or on some threads on here, which is animated story books

http://www.mightybookjr.com/

South Korea has, I think, a fairly good library system. Can she investigate that option?

She might also look for inspiration at this blog

http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/

There are such great things on Librivox. Start with this:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Recordings_of_Books_on_the_Ambleside_List

MEP and Math Mammoth are both nice; Freely Educate, and some threads listed here, have lots of other free resources listed.

I've seen some neat podcasts like

http://storynory.com/ <-- more stories

http://www.classicsforkids.com/ <-- classical music

Also there's a coupon for a free year of this, you can find on the Freely Educate website or on some threads on here, which is animated story books

http://www.mightybookjr.com/

South Korea has, I think, a fairly good library system. Can she investigate that option?

She might also look for inspiration at this blog

http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/

These are great, thanks! I just have to find out if she has an ipod or computer access in her home...

:)