Menu

Has anyone used Analytical Grammar?

DawnL

I've never used JAG, but am using AG with my 12yo now. He's been doing it for a year and a half, and I've been very happy with his understanding and retention of everything that has been presented. He works better doing short chunks of work, so we spread it out over the school year, doing just 1/3 of an exercise each day. He struggled with it a bit at first, but a phone call to Erin at AG cleared up our problems and he's been doing great since then. I highly recommend it and will be using it with my younger children (beginning with JAG in 5th grade) when they're ready for it.

One of our sons used AG during his junior year because his ACT and SAT English scores were weak. He completed all three seasons of AG in that one year and brought up his English score by 5-6 points (can't remember the exact number, but it jumped his overall to another level). AG was a win for our son.

We're in season 3 of AG with my 8th and 9th graders. We all like it. I love the fact that it makes grammar every year completely unnecessary. It is clear and thorough.

That said, I started using JAG with my then 5th grader and sort of decided to just put it off entirely until he was old enough for AG--probably next year in 7th grade. It's fine, but I kind of think is was created so parents would feel better about the fact that they were doing grammar. It's really just a simpler version of season 1 of AG according to the publishers. There's nothing wrong with it--I just felt comfortable enough putting it off.

I've used it for two of my dc and we LOVE it! AG is a solid grammar program which presents grammar logically. My oldest struggled and struggled with grammar and we tried several programs/approaches, but AG was what helped her finally get it, and now it's one of her best subjects. One other huge plus IMHO is AG's customer service - it's fantastic. :)

I'm using JAG with my 5th grader and AG with my 6th and 8th graders.

Love it love it love it.

My 8th grader doesn't like it - he wants to go back to Rod & Staff. However, he didn't do well AT ALL in R&S. Totally clueless and lost. As much as he doesn't like AG, he's getting it, so that's all I care about.;)

We hated JAG. It was the worst homeschooling purchase we made last year. Boring, dull, and way too difficult ... the diagramming which would never end, was driving us out. of. our. minds. :glare:

I prefer some really engaging and effective workbooks. I don't like grammar overkill. There are many wonderful workbooks out there. These ones are made by the publishers of Highlights magazine and we really like them. I'm sure Rainbow Resource and possibly amazon have them also. Goes all the way up to 8th grade, I think.

015530.jpg

We're starting JAG tomorrow with my 5th grader. He was NOT getting grammar at all, so we began with Winston and I'm hoping that will give him a bit of a foundation. So far so good. I've heard a lot of good about AG and hope it will work for us through the next few years.

• 1 month later...

You know, the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the grammar of a language is really a logic-stage subject and not a grammar-stage subject. That sounds sort of crazy since it is, after all, grammar, but if you think of the grammar stage as the content of stuff and logic stage as analyzing and figuring out why things are as they are, I think it makes sense. Grammar really is an analytical process. Anybody agree or disagree?

We started JAG with my 5th grader, and I sort of let it fade away because it was frustrating and he wasn't really getting it. He's a bright kid, but I decided to just wait until 7th grade and start AG instead. As you probably all know, the first season of AG covers the same stuff as all of JAG, so why duplicate the effort?

You know, the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the grammar of a language is really a logic-stage subject and not a grammar-stage subject. That sounds sort of crazy since it is, after all, grammar, but if you think of the grammar stage as the content of stuff and logic stage as analyzing and figuring out why things are as they are, I think it makes sense. Grammar really is an analytical process. Anybody agree or disagree?

We started JAG with my 5th grader, and I sort of let it fade away because it was frustrating and he wasn't really getting it. He's a bright kid, but I decided to just wait until 7th grade and start AG instead. As you probably all know, the first season of AG covers the same stuff as all of JAG, so why duplicate the effort?

I agree, but I also have required state testing. :rolleyes:

What I end up doing is covering something light with basic terms in 3rd for the 3rd grade test (FLL for audio learners, GWG for visual learners), then I start JAG in 5th at half pace for the 5th grade test.

I duplicate for a couple of reasons. First is the sentences in AG are a lot more complicated. Second is JAG actually fits nicely with the grammar covered in CW Aesop and AG fits nicely with the grammar in CW Homer. Third is my kids need review and repetition.

You might find AG still overwhelms him in 7th, especially if he hasn't had grammar. It might just all fall into place too. You just don't know till you get there.

Heather

I feel the same way. I seriously considered having my 5th grader use JAG this year. I want her to sound smart. There. I said it. While I am tempted to do hard-core grammar from a young age, I just don't think my kiddos are ready for it. They're smart kids, but all that drill-and-kill grammar just will not work for them. I would even go as far as saying it is likely useless in younger grades, but I am no expert. Now, next year my oldest will be in 6th. We will do AG as written. I am pretty sure this will be perfect for us, at the perfect age.

Yeah, I know I commented and I haven't used the program, but I have been killing myself over grammar for ages and AG always comes out on top.

Wow, I'm glad we don't have the pressure of state tests where we live, and you're right that AG may possibly overwhelm him with no previous explicit grammar, but he has had "implicit" grammar. We're using IEW, and since I absolutely love grammar, we talk about it a lot. Also, the older two had had no real grammar programs until they started AG in 7th and 8th grade respectively, and it has worked very well for them. We're finishing up the 3rd season now, as I mentioned.

For those of you who have used the high school reinforcements, what do you think of them? Are they effective? Necessary?

For those of you who have used the high school reinforcements, what do you think of them? Are they effective? Necessary?

I like them. I think they are effective in that it forces my son to remember what he has learned instead of forget it. They are only necessary if you want your student to remember what they've been taught and they need a refresher.

I used JAG for a short time with my 4th grader and it was just too much for him (and I). The biggest thing he hated was the parsing (he actually enjoys diagramming, but there was a lot!). He is a "big picture" person (like I am) and he would just miss so much. It also moved quite fast. I am more of the thought of "less over longer period of time" with grammar so R&S and GWG have been good fits for us.