Menu

I think he may be coming....

Thank you for that. It's hard because everyone in dh's family blames me for ds being Autistic. His sister hurt me so deeply when we first got the diagnosis. My dh told her and without a second's hesistation turned to me and said, "He gets it from your side of the family." I have an Autistic cousin and my brother's first two born are Autistic and my dd is Asperger's. Maybe it is from "my side of the family" and it's a heavy thing to carry. It breaks my dh's heart because he loves his son so much.

ah, nevermind. I'm rambling. Sorry. I just wondered about the pitocin. Yeah, back on track. lol

OMG!! This makes me so mad I'm crying..... what a horrible thing to say to you/dh! Too bad we don't have a word/label for someone who would say such a cruel thing to someone else.... oh wait! we do! ...but I can't say it here.

:grouphug: For you and your husband (and kids).

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug::grouphug: Sorry about the tears. That's the last thing you need right now. How are the contractions, mama?

Oh...tears are fine! Happy tears :) Just cramping. No bleeding. I have never given birth in the sunlight, so it will probably be a while. :001_huh:

. You also have to have an epidural if pitted (unless it's being used in a homebirth to stop bleeding afterwards)..

Not going to disagree about how bad pitocin sucks, but it isn't true that you have to have an epidural when induced with pitocin. I labored on pitocin for 12 hours with DD, and didn't get an epidural until they were talking C-section. That was only because it seemed the lesser evil vs. being under general anesthesia for the surgery.

Just found out today that this one is breech...I'm 36 weeks next Tuesday. On the one hand, it's a relief that he's not lying transverse as we'd thought he might be. Flipping a breech is supposed to be easier.

Good luck with your labors, I hope your wait is short. I decided at work Thursday night that DS can come whenever he's ready, the sooner the better...I just hope he flips first, as there is no one around here who will deliver a breech, especially VBAC.

Too bad we don't have a word/label for someone who would say such a cruel thing to someone else.... oh wait! we do! ...but I can't say it here.

:grouphug: For you and your husband (and kids).

LOL I think I know the word that you mean. ;) Thanks for the hugs. :grouphug: and I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. It's just I really wondered about the pitocin if there was any possible connection because it came up on a conversation very recently with dh. He had forgotten that I was induced with ds and a friend of ours just had a baby and it came up in the conversation and then later on the way home in the car my dh was asking me questions about the labor/birth with our son and as I answered his questions he just kept getting more and more upset to the point that he just broke down and started yelling. Not at me, but just he was so overcome with emotions over it all and wondering if it was the thing that affected our son.

It's really hard on him. He loves that boy so much and it kills him. There is a running joke in our home whenever it is time for school pictures because every year when we get ds's new picture from school and we see that lost look in his eyes we just break down crying all over again. Maybe it's a coping mechanism how we threaten to take out one of ds's school pics if the other doesn't behave, but it's one of those things where if you didn't find a way to laugh you would just cry all the time.

Not going to disagree about how bad pitocin sucks, but it isn't true that you have to have an epidural when induced with pitocin. I labored on pitocin for 12 hours with DD, and didn't get an epidural until they were talking C-section. That was only because it seemed the lesser evil vs. being under general anesthesia for the surgery.

Just found out today that this one is breech...I'm 36 weeks next Tuesday. On the one hand, it's a relief that he's not lying transverse as we'd thought he might be. Flipping a breech is supposed to be easier.

Good luck with your labors, I hope your wait is short. I decided at work Thursday night that DS can come whenever he's ready, the sooner the better...I just hope he flips first, as there is no one around here who will deliver a breech, especially VBAC.

Have you checked out Spinning Babies website? :grouphug:

Thanks for the correction. I believe it was that particular hospital's policy (and I wouldn't doubt the policy at many others) that they have an epidural in before starting the pit "just in case".

:eek: Is the drug itself harmful to the baby do you know? Other than what you've already mentioned here about possible complications??

I ask because I was induced with my ds and they gave me a pitocin drip (and an epidural) but nothing happened so finally the OB broke my water and then I went into full on labor. My son is profoundly Autistic and my dh wonders if it had anything to do with the labor experience.

Pitocin has nothing to do with autism that I have ever heard of. I have twins and then two singletons. One twin is Asperger, and one singleton, the only one not needed to be induced, is on autism spectrum.

As for pitocin, yes there are risks, but then again, there are many risks out there that people don't even think about. IMO, it is a decision that needs to be made carefully and with full information. Doctors who don't tell you the risks of going either way is negligent.

Pitocin has nothing to do with autism that I have ever heard of. I have twins and then two singletons. One twin is Asperger, and one singleton, the only one not needed to be induced, is on autism spectrum.

As for pitocin, yes there are risks, but then again, there are many risks out there that people don't even think about. IMO, it is a decision that needs to be made carefully and with full information. Doctors who don't tell you the risks of going either way is negligent.

Thank you. I think it was something that my dh connected in his mind. He had read something about Einstein how he was over due or something (I'm sorry I didn't read the article personally and my dh's details that he told me are fuzzy now) and they didn't let nature take it's course and he was born with high functioning Autism so I guess in dh's mind he made a connection between not letting nature take it's course and Autism and he is suspicious of drugs that the doctor's prescribe.

Ibby, I'm sorry about your family. What a bunch of bad words :(

Yeah. I had 2 with Pit and it was so overwhelming! I have had 3 natural births since (2 at home). WORLD of difference! So much easier!

My oldest and youngest were natural, but at the hospital. I always wanted to home birth, but we're 45 - 1hr away from the nearest hospital and no midwives would even consider it.

Thank you for that. It's hard because everyone in dh's family blames me for ds being Autistic. His sister hurt me so deeply when we first got the diagnosis. My dh told her and without a second's hesistation turned to me and said, "He gets it from your side of the family." I have an Autistic cousin and my brother's first two born are Autistic and my dd is Asperger's. Maybe it is from "my side of the family" and it's a heavy thing to carry. It breaks my dh's heart because he loves his son so much.

ah, nevermind. I'm rambling. Sorry. I just wondered about the pitocin. Yeah, back on track. lol

That just makes me so very angry! I would refuse to have anything more to do with her ever and never allow her to have anything to do with my kids!

There is no blame here!!!!!!!!!! It is no different than if a child is dx with cancer or asthma or diabetes or being a genius. It is genetic and just how the cards fall type thing. You did nor didn't do anything that caused your son to be autistic.

:grouphug: Being overdue can be so hard. PM if you get closer to cut off. We can discuss natural options. Pitocin is icky! :( You want to avoid it if you can.

Thanks..I will definitely PM you if it gets closer to the cutoff.

My induction options with the midwife (should I need to be induced) are Cytotec and an herbal something-or-other which I'm guessing is blue and black kohosh. I have not heard good things about Cytotec, and apparently the kohosh is a hit or miss... But hopefully I'm doing all this worrying for nothing!!!

Thanks..I will definitely PM you if it gets closer to the cutoff.

My induction options with the midwife (should I need to be induced) are Cytotec and an herbal something-or-other which I'm guessing is blue and black kohosh. I have not heard good things about Cytotec, and apparently the kohosh is a hit or miss... But hopefully I'm doing all this worrying for nothing!!!

Cohosh is a hit or miss, but can help. Same with castor oil. Same with a lot of things. It's a bit of "are you ready" combined with smaller "helps". Sometimes, merely stripping your membranes is enough.

Have you checked out Spinning Babies website? :grouphug:

Yes. I've got two pages on there open right now, in fact. And I'll be talking to my midwife today about what techniques to try.

Thanks for the correction. I believe it was that particular hospital's policy (and I wouldn't doubt the policy at many others) that they have an epidural in before starting the pit "just in case".

I'll save my rant about hospital policies and the lack of evidence-based medicine in this country...

Pitocin has nothing to do with autism that I have ever heard of.

Yes, this. Pitocin is chemically identical to the natural hormone oxytocin in the body, but when it's put straight in the bloodstream to affect the uterus, etc., it doesn't affect the maternal brain the same way as the natural hormone. The greatest harm to the baby is the stress of the hard, sudden labor it can bring on. I wound up with a C-sec with DD because her heart rate would drop during and didn't recover well after the pitocin-induced contractions.

Angelbee ~ Praying for a wonderful birth when it does happen!! Prelabor is no fun sometimes! I'm over at MDC too but I don't post very much. :)

My induction options with the midwife (should I need to be induced) are Cytotec and an herbal something-or-other which I'm guessing is blue and black kohosh. I have not heard good things about Cytotec, and apparently the kohosh is a hit or miss...

Cytotec is potentially dangerous when used as a labor inducer. Google it. You'll find the warnings from the manufacturer telling care providers not to use it for labor induction.

Black and Blue Cohosh should be used with your midwife's guidance. They can raise blood pressure.

Can you tell me what is bad about pitocin? Why do they give it to you if it's bad?

The main bad thing about it is that it is overused. It is not necessarily "bad" in itself, there is a place for it. Many times what happens is the baby is stressed. Pitocin causes strong, unnatural contractions that some babies can't keep up with (when the uterus contracts, the flow of oxygen and blood is restricted some). Their heart rates start falling and don't recover well. Some care providers will simply turn down the pitocin which helps the baby and the woman's body will continue a natural contraction pattern on its own. But what most do when they see those decelerations is do a c/s. Being induced raises your chance of ending up with a c/s.

A uterine rupture from Pitocin is rare. IIRC, there have been more ruptures, maternal, and fetal deaths from Cytotec.

Is the drug itself harmful to the baby do you know?

Mainly in the sense that they can become stressed. It doesn't effect their respiratory system like Nubain or other narcotics can.

You also have to have an epidural if pitted

That is not an absolute.

I ask because I was induced with my ds and they gave me a pitocin drip (and an epidural) but nothing happened so finally the OB broke my water and then I went into full on labor. My son is profoundly Autistic and my dh wonders if it had anything to do with the labor experience.

There is some speculation and some studies have been done but nothing has been proven yet.

http://www.newautismcure.com/pitocin-and-autism-a-link/574/

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/57071

I share that not to make you worry and feel guilt. :grouphug:

:grouphug: That is hard when you are limited. :(

My labors are very fast, but my water never breaks... dh and I tried to break my water once the fun way (hinthintnudgenudgewinkwink), but it didn't work. If we could just manage that part I would have to give birth at home (or else in the car on the way to the hospital). We tried, but alas, I apparently need assistance with that one last part....... more assistance than dh is able to give.

My labors are very fast, but my water never breaks... dh and I tried to break my water once the fun way (hinthintnudgenudgewinkwink), but it didn't work. If we could just manage that part I would have to give birth at home (or else in the car on the way to the hospital). We tried, but alas, I apparently need assistance with that one last part....... more assistance than dh is able to give.

Does it stall your labor then?

Dd4 was born in her bag of waters. She took a little longer, but it is possible to deliver baby in caul. :)

Only happened once to me though, so I don't know if that always happens.

I think you and I are on the same page with much of this.

When are you due, Ravin?

My due date is Feb 22. It would seem longer if I wasn't still planning on attending Estrella War from Feb. 14th-21st---barring his early arrival, of course...

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your experiences.

Ibby, I'm sorry about your family. What a bunch of bad words :(

They are dh's family not mine. ;) hehe Mine may be Autistic, but they are all very sweet. :)

That just makes me so very angry! I would refuse to have anything more to do with her ever and never allow her to have anything to do with my kids!

There is no blame here!!!!!!!!!! It is no different than if a child is dx with cancer or asthma or diabetes or being a genius. It is genetic and just how the cards fall type thing. You did nor didn't do anything that caused your son to be autistic.

Thank you. :grouphug:

There is some speculation and some studies have been done but nothing has been proven yet.

http://www.newautismcure.com/pitocin-and-autism-a-link/574/

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/57071

I share that not to make you worry and feel guilt. :grouphug:

Thanks Heather. I wasn't able to read the second link because it required a login and password but I read the first one. Food for thought. :)

Ibby, sorry for the mix-up ;)

Does it stall your labor then?

Dd4 was born in her bag of waters. She took a little longer, but it is possible to deliver baby in caul. :)

Only happened once to me though, so I don't know if that always happens.

I guess it does... I never really thought about. I'll dialate (for some reason the spelling of that word escapes me at the moment) and be fully effaced (okay, my spelling skills have just conked out, sorry :lol:) but my water never breaks.

I never really thought I could go through labor all the way without it breaking.........

It should only be used IF NECESSARY. Pitocin can be tricky and is not always handled properly. It can rupture your uterus if turned up slightly too high. You also have to have an epidural if pitted (unless it's being used in a homebirth to stop bleeding afterwards). Epidurals can slow down labour, so you end up with two forces working against each other (one slowing down labour and one trying to speed up and enforce labour). This can lead to complications that can emergency c-section. This is why it's also not something that should be done "just because" (though I confess to having done so once...my fear of having an unfamiliar doctor, due to past OB screwups, was bigger and I knew the nurse that was handling my Pitocin).

There are gentler methods to induce labour.

While you will never hear me sing the praises of pitocin it's not true that it requires an epidural. I unfortunately had to be induced twice with pitocin and have never had an epidural.

Ibby, sorry for the mix-up ;)

I guess it does... I never really thought about. I'll dialate (for some reason the spelling of that word escapes me at the moment) and be fully effaced (okay, my spelling skills have just conked out, sorry :lol:) but my water never breaks.

I never really thought I could go through labor all the way without it breaking.........

Honestly, I did not know you could either til I did it. :lol:

While you will never hear me sing the praises of pitocin it's not true that it requires an epidural. I unfortunately had to be induced twice with pitocin and have never had an epidural.

We dealt with that correction already ;) Apparently it's "hospital policy" some places...not necessarily "need". That is what I meant by "required". In my experience, it was "required" due to hospital policy :) Finding out that some hospitals don't share that policy.

It's good to find out hospital policies in advanced. Some hospitals, as soon as you hit the door, you are strapped to the bed and put on every monitor imaginable...others will just put a line in you and let you walk.

We dealt with that correction already ;) Apparently it's "hospital policy" some places...not necessarily "need". That is what I meant by "required". In my experience, it was "required" due to hospital policy :) Finding out that some hospitals don't share that policy.

I hadn't read the rest of the thread before replying. Sorry about that.:)

They tried to talk me into an epidural with my oldest because I was progressing so slowly. Thankfully it ended up being DH's call because they had already gave me stadol. We had discussed it quite a bit before hand and he knew I did not one unless truly necessary, but I was tired and would have given in just to shut them up. Turned out to be a good thing because I was at 5 1/2 cm. And as it turns out while it can take weeks to get there, but once I hit 6 cm I went very quick and was holding a baby 30 min. later.

Edited by akmommy

I hadn't read the rest of the thread before replying. Sorry about that.:)

They tried to talk me into an epidural with my oldest because I was progressing so slowly. Thankfully it ended up being DH's call because they had already gave me stadol. We had discussed it quite a bit before hand and he knew I did not one unless truly necessary, but I was tired and would have given in just to shut them up. Turned out to be a good thing because I was at 5 1/2 cm. And as it turns out while it can take weeks to get there once I hit 6 cm I went very quick and was holding a baby 30 min. later.

That is kind of how it works for me. Takes a while to get to 4cm, but literally with in 10 mins, I am pushing!

Ditto for me w/this as well - two pitocin induced, no pain medication receiving births.

To OP - good luck! I hope the baby makes their debut soon. That last countdown is always frustrating. :)

That is kind of how it works for me. Takes a while to get to 4cm, but literally with in 10 mins, I am pushing!

I am the opposite. During my first and last pregnancies I was 5cm for a week before the baby was born and both times, I ended up being induced (water broken and pitocin). Both times past due date by 8 days. I really was up for waiting it out with the last one, just figuring my baby would come when he wanted, but being 40 years old, 5th baby and living 20 miles from the hospital, I was making my OB nervous, so I caved. Everything turned out fine, but I still wish sometimes that I had waited to see what would happen without being induced.

Oh, and I've had Pit two different times without an epidural.

Following your progress and keeping my fingers crossed virtually and prayers.

It should only be used IF NECESSARY. Pitocin can be tricky and is not always handled properly. It can rupture your uterus if turned up slightly too high. You also have to have an epidural if pitted (unless it's being used in a homebirth to stop bleeding afterwards). Epidurals can slow down labour, so you end up with two forces working against each other (one slowing down labour and one trying to speed up and enforce labour). This can lead to complications that can emergency c-section. This is why it's also not something that should be done "just because" (though I confess to having done so once...my fear of having an unfamiliar doctor, due to past OB screwups, was bigger and I knew the nurse that was handling my Pitocin).

There are gentler methods to induce labour.

Combine pitocin with an epidural and magnesium sulfate and they all work against each other. I ended up with congestive heart failure and an emergency c section. I'm not a big fan of pitocin.

I am the opposite. During my first and last pregnancies I was 5cm for a week before the baby was born and both times, I ended up being induced (water broken and pitocin). Both times past due date by 8 days. I really was up for waiting it out with the last one, just figuring my baby would come when he wanted, but being 40 years old, 5th baby and living 20 miles from the hospital, I was making my OB nervous, so I caved. Everything turned out fine, but I still wish sometimes that I had waited to see what would happen without being induced.

Oh, and I've had Pit two different times without an epidural.

:grouphug:

It's good to find out hospital policies in advanced. Some hospitals, as soon as you hit the door, you are strapped to the bed and put on every monitor imaginable...others will just put a line in you and let you walk.

Oh, that's just evil! :cursing:

3 pitocin births here. None with epidurals.

Still just crampy. Waiting til the sunsets. ;)

:iagree:

I'm still here with no baby too. I always get excited at night time cause that's when I have more contractions and I thought we were close last night but still no baby Jayden...

Today is his due date...little dude is running late...

:iagree:

I'm still here with no baby too. I always get excited at night time cause that's when I have more contractions and I thought we were close last night but still no baby Jayden...

Today is his due date...little dude is running late...

Jayden....cute!

My little guy is Colton Michael. :)