Menu

Relationship question (not about dh's)

I just realized last night that people I grew up THINKING were my cousins.....maybe are not. Their father is the brother to my grandma.

????

Their father is my great uncle, right, since he is my grandmother's sibling. So, what are his kids called in relation to me and my (real) cousins? (the children of my mother's sister)

Are you confused yet? I grew up calling them cousins, but I don't think that is right. They are the children of my great uncle, but I'm not sure what that name is.

I sincerely wish we were a Farsi-speaking family right about now! They have different names for all of the various relationships!

ETA: I found it. They are second cousins.

Here's a chart that is about as clear as mud. You would pick the common ancestor, which would be great-grandparents, is that right?

I think that somewhere in this chart, way before the phrase, "three times removed," there should be at least a few boxes labeled, "complete and total strangers." ;)

Cat

Sounds like 1st Cousin Once Removed. They are technically your cousins...Cousin is a correct term ;)

I'm in contact with all kinds of cousins and we refer to each other as such (ex "Cousin Helen" is my 1st Cousin Twice Removed...she was my Grandmother's 1st Cousin).

Edited by mommaduck

I think that somewhere in this chart, way before the phrase, "three times removed," there should be at least a few boxes labeled, "complete and total strangers." ;)

Cat

Cat, you crack me up. :smilielol5: There are some cousins I couldn't remove far enough for true peace!

When you pick the common ancestor do you pick the one you have the same relationship with or one that you are both related to? greatgrandparent to both or one that is a grandparent to one and a grand aunt of some kind to the other.

The first one that you are both directly descended from. In this case it would be her great grandparent and their grandparent...since her grandparent and their parent were siblings.

I sincerely wish we were a Farsi-speaking family right about now! They have different names for all of the various relationships!

:lol:

Yes, as a fluent Farsi speaker, I can attest to that.

Persians/Iranians live and die for their families and blood, etc. Sometimes/oftentimes, it's just way tooooo much for dh and I. ;)

I remember in once speech communication class in my undergrad years, our professor told us that any language has many words for whatever they deem to be important. Eskimos, for example, have 20-something words for snow. Iranians have a different word for pretty much every single relative.

And well, Iranians (like most Middle Easterners unfortunately) do not particularly care for dogs or most pets. They don't have different names for different breeds. They're all just called "dog". :lol: Our family is not that way, btw. We're Iranian, but we're also very international. :)

When I was in high school, a friend who is Iranian told me that the name for your great-great-grandparent is your "never seen" (I might have that slightly off) but she was calculating how if you had kids young enough in every generation you could see your "never seen" and how cool would that be?

Is the root question here if second cousins can marry?;)

Their father is my great uncle, right, since he is my grandmother's sibling. So, what are his kids called in relation to me

:iagree: His kids are your first cousins- once removed. Their kids are your second cousins.

Technically speaking. In our family there are cousins (meaning first cousins), second cousins (other cousinly people we're related to and are happy to know,) and "some kind of distant cousin" (other cousinly people we're related to and are happy we don't know who may be closer relations than the previous category.)

:)

Rosie