Menu

I am considering what I want to do for next year as far as Bible for my kindergartener. Do you think this is a sufficient enough curriculum:

1. Read for devotional and memorize My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts

2. Start on reading and memorizing the children's catechism through Big Truths for Little Kids: Teaching Your Children to Live for God

I would love to do something that would be a survey of the Bible or incorporate copywork. Any suggestions?

Edited by cabreban

You know, I have gone back and forth over Bible stuff. I finally had to think about how much I realistically expect my kids to learn at this point. I was thinking that they needed to become Bible scholars when really that's not age appropriate. I think what you are planning sounds great! Here's what we've done for Kindy and I wouldn't change -

1. Reading a children's Bible; we are currently going through Kenneth Taylor's Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes and reading the corresponding verses out of the actual Bible (NIV)

2. Reading a devotional; we are currently going through Kenneth Taylor's Big Thoughts for Little People (Can you tell I'm a fan of K. Taylor?)

3. Awana for Bible memorization and church, as well.

Both my 3 & 5 year old do all of this together. Next year, I plan on trying Leading Little Ones to God with my ds. I will incorporate some Bible into our history, but I have really let go of some of my plans of him becoming a little theologian at 6. :D

We have actually never (gasp) done a bible curriculum. My husband very graciously encouraged me to let our family bible time and their Sunday School and catechism classes at church be their bible. We faithfully attend every week unless someone is sick so it's a regular part of our week, but nothing I have to fit in during the day. That has always been a nice "one-less-thing-to-do" for me.

Now if I didn't have those options available to me, I'd do exactly what you are doing! Sounds wonderful. I did add in scripture for copywork as well.

Blessings!

KLA

I would love to do something that would be a survey of the Bible or incorporate copywork. Any suggestions?

You could just read the Bible.;) Here is OT and NT broke down in kid size chunks. You could take copywork directly from each reading.

Otherwise, I haven't used a curriculum so I think what you have is sufficient. I have used Truth and Grace Memory Book to select verses to memorize.

For Bible this year (Kindy and a 3 yo tagging along) we have just been reading through Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible. Next year we'll add in coloring pictures from the GCP Bible Story coloring book. Both kids are learning the First Catechism and are using Diana Beach Batarseh's Ask Me Whooo CDs. http://www.askmewhooo.com I had forgotten about Big Truths and am glad for the reminder! We'll get that out tomorrow!

We do family devotions at breakfast, right now with Long Story Short. And we memorize Scripture together. These are things that DH leads us in and are distinct from our school Bible lessons.

If you are teaching the alphabet I'd begin with that ABC book. I'd add in a Bible Story book (The Jesus Storybook is a GREAT choice) and call that good. Copywork can come from the verses you are memorizing.

If you finish the ABC book early (26 weeks or whatever), then I would pick up the Big Truths for Little Kids.

I've used all those resources and the kids loved them. I use devotional/memory type books one at a time, making sure to leave time for building Biblical literacy through actual Bible stories and Scripture reading.

I didn't start my kids on memorizing the catechism until they were reading. It was just so much easier. Oh,and we started with the Shorter Catechism.

Edited by Daisy

For Bible this year (Kindy and a 3 yo tagging along) we have just been reading through Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible. Next year we'll add in coloring pictures from the GCP Bible Story coloring book. Both kids are learning the First Catechism and are using Diana Beach Batarseh's Ask Me Whooo CDs. http://www.askmewhooo.com I had forgotten about Big Truths and am glad for the reminder! We'll get that out tomorrow!

We do family devotions at breakfast, right now with Long Story Short. And we memorize Scripture together. These are things that DH leads us in and are distinct from our school Bible lessons.

I downloaded "ask me Whooo" a month or so ago. We are going to start listening to it. I LOVE Seeds Family Worship for good family music that is kid friendly (bible put to scripture). :)

If you are teaching the alphabet I'd begin with that ABC book. I'd add in a Bible Story book (The Jesus Storybook is a GREAT choice) and call that good. Copywork can come from the verses you are memorizing.

If you finish the ABC book early (26 weeks or whatever), then I would pick up the Big Truths for Little Kids.

I've used all those resources and the kids loved them. I use devotional/memory type books one at a time, making sure to leave time for building Biblical literacy through actual Bible stories and Scripture reading.

I didn't start my kids on memorizing the catechism until they were reading. It was just so much easier. Oh,and we started with the Shorter Catechism.

I agree with Daisy (shocking, I know) although we start with the Catechism for Young Children while they're young and will add the WSC later. We also love the Jesus Storybook Bible.

Anyway, the Hunt books are great (the newest one, Sammy and His Shepherd based on Ps 23 is good for this age, too.) The Discover Jesus in Genesis and Exodus books are very good, but maybe better for first and second graders.

Is this book usable for Arminian denominations as well or is it specific to Reformed catechism? I guess I am asking if it is Calvinistic or not?

I think the ABC one would be fine. I haven't used it in a couple of years, but I don't remember anything specifically Reformed. Big Thoughts for Little Kids is based on the Catechism for Young Children a precursor to the WSC, so you'd want to avoid that.

Is this book usable for Arminian denominations as well or is it specific to Reformed catechism? I guess I am asking if it is Calvinistic or not?

If you want something with without Reformed influence, I suggest Rod and Staff. They have some wonderful devotional books that my children enjoyed.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-271SET/?list=Storybooks_Preschool-Age_7

These work especially well when teaching time, the alphabet, and numbers.

I have my kids use "Keys for Kids". They are daily Bible readings. They are published by the same people that put out those "Daily Bread" books.

http://www.cbhministries.org/kfk/home.php

And we have used a couple of these books for what we call Character Studies:

http://www.christianbook.com/choosing-self-control-kaye-freeman/9780970306944/pd/306976?item_code=WW&netp_id=440715&event=ESRCN&view=details

The ABC should be ok (I don't recall anything that was problematic to me from an Arminian perspective though there were things I didn't love about it). The other book probably would be an issue.

OP, I really like the Jesus Storybook Bible Daisy mentioned. It's wonderful. I like active stuff for this age and Karyn Henley has nice materials that are active.

Edited by sbgrace

One of the best things we've done in homeschooling is memorizing scripture. It was hard some days to sit down and spend the time with Bible, but our study time and the verses we've memorized over the years has definitely been the highest and best use of our time.

I kept our Bible time simple in the early years. We memorized scripture and they actually got prizes from my special box when they could recite it by heart. They were so motivated and rewarded by those little prizes I collected here and there. My olders still talk about it!

We also read a children's story Bible. Something like this.

Hope that helps,

Lisa