Menu

Did the Flashmaster Work For You?

SnMomof7

My DD really wants one (after she looked over my shoulder as I was scoping one out online). We are trying to master addition facts right now and it seems to be taking...a while.

Is it REALLY as good as their testimonials make out?

Anyone find it DIDN'T work for their dc?

:bigear:

My kids hated being timed until they really got fast from the "Table: No Order" button (the setting you choose from the yellow buttons) As they got faster we did "Timed Flashcard" and then "Timed Test". I love that I have so many options. It is a mainstay in our homeschool. Even the 12yo uses it to keep his facts fresh and fast.

It didn't work here. My oldest two used it for a year, and both hated it the whole time. Neither showed any serious improvement in their math facts.

They just about had a full scale party when it broke.

The Right Start math games worked 100% better here.

Heather

I haven't used Flashmaster, so I can't say anything about it, but we just reviewed "Math Facts Now!" on the TOS Crew and my kiddo's enjoyed it.

No frills, no fuss, but it did get the job done. And helped them learn the ones they most struggled with by repeating those problems.

You can see what I had to say about it HERE

Edited by LoveBaby

I haven't used Flashmaster, so I can't say anything about it, but we just reviewed "Math Facts Now!" on the TOS Crew and my kiddo's enjoyed it.

No frills, no fuss, but it did get the job done. And helped them learn the ones they most struggled with by repeating those problems.

You can see what I had to say about it HERE[/]

That sounds interesting! So far, Flashmaster is not working for us.

I had my DD do the quartermile math sample and it just freaked her out - too much pressure to perform.

No magic bullet! Gasp! Sigh.

I really like the look of the RightStart math games, I just don't know how often I'll get to doing them with my DD with so many little ones running around.

I really like the look of the RightStart math games, I just don't know how often I'll get to doing them with my DD with so many little ones running around.

As they get older you can have them play the game with each other. There are also solitaire versions of many of the games. I personally only play one or two games a week with ds. The rest all play with each other.

But I do get what you are saying. You need something in the mean time so you don't pull your hair out. Remember it does get better. You have more to do, but more energy to do it with. There is something very emotionally draining about meeting the physical and emotional needs of babies and toddlers.

Just rolling a couple of dice, adding them up and writing the answer can help with addition facts. For multiplication they can use a 100's chart and multiply the numbers on the dice and record it.

Heather

It has been so/so for us. DD8 doesn't really like it but will tolerate it sometimes. At first she loved it, but that wore off in a few days. I ALMOST sent it back within the 90 days. Sort of wish I had, could use that $50 more effectively I think. What has worked better is war with 2 decks of cards -- each person turns over two cards and adds them. Highest sum wins that hand. I also recently got the book Two Plus Two is not 5; wish I'd gotten it last year (1st grade). Abeka speed drills are also good -- only 12 problems at a time to be done in 2 minutes (in the 2nd grade book). I don't use ABEKA math, but like the speed drills book.

My kids enjoy it and it works super well for me to have them drill with no effort on my part. I will tell them - do 5 three minute drills level 7 of multiplication and it's done. I love that part. We primarily use it to keep fact fresh in the summer and during breaks.