Menu

High School - Daily Academic/Instructional Hours?

How many daily academic/instructional hours does your child spend for high school?  

1. 1. How many daily academic/instructional hours does your child spend for high school?

• 4-5 hours
    • 5-6 hours
    • 6-7 hours
    • 7+ hours
    • Other

I've enjoyed the recent thread about high school hours and wanted to add a poll to put the responses in an easy to read format I could share with my dd who will be doing high school next year ;)

If you have a moment, please vote and share a look at your child's high school academic/instructional day, courses, resources used, etc.

:bigear:

Starting HS in the fall. :001_huh:

Us too, I think I've spent this entire school year preparing though :) I'll pull out our tenative hs plan and share our 9th grade schedule in the next day or so!

I would guess that 7+ hours would be about right, but there are days that are less and there is always work to be done on weekends. So I'm guessing that 7+ would be an average. The early high school years, 9th and 10th, though are probably more like 6 hours.

I read your signature line and the course selections seem very streamlined for each one. . .what specific resources do you use?

How do you count?

QUOTE]

All instructional/learning time that counts towards hs credit ;)

My dd does school from 9 to 12 PM and then from about 1 to 2 and maybe another hour of reading. 5 hours.

I like the later start, that has worked well for us over the years, though I am hoping to get dd started an hour earlier next year. She'll be so excited :D

Us too, I think I've spent this entire school year preparing though :) I'll pull out our tenative hs plan and share our 9th grade schedule in the next day or so!

:D

That'll be wonderful. I was just reviewing my plans for 9th grade with ds and dh today. I must admit, ds isn't overly interested other than ensuring his favorite subjects are left alone.

My 11th grader starts at 7:00 a.m. and works until about 11:00 when he stops for an early lunch. He starts back up about 12:00 and works until 3:00 or so. He usually has work in the evenings or on weekends for a few hours a week as well. I voted 7+. He has a heavier load than he had in 9th and 10th. He typically worked for about 5-6 hours daily during his first two years of high school.

My 11th grader starts at 7:00 a.m. and works until about 11:00 when he stops for an early lunch. He starts back up about 12:00 and works until 3:00 or so. He usually has work in the evenings or on weekends for a few hours a week as well. I voted 7+. He has a heavier load than he had in 9th and 10th. He typically worked for about 5-6 hours daily during his first two years of high school.
Off subject---Wow! :w00t: It's rare to have a teenager that gets up and is awake enough to start school that early! :D

That is all....

I voted 7+.

We don't have a nice set schedule. They get up at 5:30 or 6:00 and do chores, breakfast, exercise, an hour of music practice, etc. They are at work by 8:00 most mornings. We leave at 1:30 on most Mondays for music lessons all afternoon/evening, Thursday we have art all morning and co-op classes in the afternoon, and Friday they are gone from 7 to 1 volunteering. Because of those things, they work in the evenings, and they work on Saturday, unless we have a concert/event or are out of town. I have "class time" on Mon-Wed mornings with them, but other than that they just work as long as they need to to get everything done. They easily put in at least 40 hours a week, so I figure at least an average of 5 8-hr days.

My 12th grader usually starts around 8:30am and finishes around 1:30-2:30pm, with probably a few breaks here and there. My 9th grader starts at 9-9:30am and finishes some days at 3pm, some days after 5pm---depending on how much chit chat and dawdling is going on :tongue_smilie: I would say I have about 5, some days maybe 6, solid hours of academics scheduled for them. Right now they have no outside activities, but keep themselves busy with their own interests of guitar, video games, snow skating etc. Their academic load is actually pretty heavy duty for our geographic area, but we are planning a move soon and so a solid day of academics won't seem so strange! I am also hoping they will find some good outside activities to broaden their horizons a bit.

My 9th grader starts at 7:00 and is done with seat work and piano practice by 2:00. (He wakes up early because he likes to keep his afternoons and evenings free.) He is studying:

Saxon Advanced Mathematics: 60-90 minutes per day (He watches an Art Reed lecture and then completes a lesson over two school days.)

Henle Second Year Latin: 30-60 minutes per day (He more or less follows the MODG Latin III syllabus; when he has extra time he translates a reading from Lingua Biblica.)

Athenaze Greek Book 1: 30-60 minutes per day (He takes two weeks to complete each chapter, using both the student book and the workbook.)

Material Logic: 60 minutes per day, 2-3 days per week

English: 60 minutes per day, 2-3 days per week (Right now he is using R&S English 9, Norton's Essential Guide to Literary Terms, and The Writer's Workshop: Imitating Your Way to Better Writing by Gregory Roper. Occasionally we remember that he's supposed to be doing Vocabulary from Classical Roots.)

Great Books: 2 hours per day, 4 days per week (As described in The Well-Trained Mind. He is studying ancient history this year, and is currently reading The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories and watching a Teaching Company lecture series on Herodotus by Elizabeth Vandiver.)

Geology: 2 hours per day, 2 days per week (First he watches a few Teaching Company lectures, then he reads a chapter of Geology: A Self-Teaching Guide by Barbara Murck, answering the questions and completing the self-test. Then he turns to my college texts, Understanding Earth and the Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology. We're using my college syllabus at half-speed.)

Music: He takes weekly piano lessons and practices for at least an hour a day.

He also spends four hours each week with a Shakespearian youth theatre, and likes sailing, scuba diving, swing dancing, and hiking for phys ed.

That'll be wonderful. I was just reviewing my plans for 9th grade with ds and dh today. I must admit, ds isn't overly interested other than ensuring his favorite subjects are left alone.

I haven't forgotten! My plans seem to be out starring in a episode of "lost" at the moment ;) so as soon as I find my stack I'll share what I have down so far!

The one think I did for highschool planning that has been most helpful to me at this point was to watch Lee Binz's "Preparing For Highschool Homeschool". She made the whole process seem accessible and less complicated!

I'm enjoying reading how everyone's highschool days look. Thanks to everyone who has shared! I especially appreciate the breakdowns with specific courses and curriculum selections. Neat to see all the options!

Does everyone start their planning by aligning your schedule with your state's required courses?

Does everyone start their planning by aligning your schedule with your state's required courses?

We have moved four times during my homeschooling career, and I have never looked at a state's required courses. I'm just using the "four years of each subject" plan. :tongue_smilie:

My oldest daughter's (probable) first choice college required more than our state requirements, so we don't even have to worry about meeting the state's minimum. :001_smile: They are part of the information I gathered when I started planning. We will meet the requirements (6 math, 4 English, 3 science, etc.,) but not in the same order or with the exact same courses that most do.

well, I found my stack of stuff and now I have a full blow headache :tongue_smilie::lol:

Trying to determine what will fit under the English credit vs. stand alone, then wittling down the electives (so many choices!), deciding if the Latin Road to English Grammar will work for us (too expensive to "oops" on!), order of social studies (does this matter?).

Hmmm. . .I thought I had gotten further in my planning. :001_huh: