Menu

So... Four kids is not MUCH different from three, right? RIGHT?!?

I've had three dc since turning 35 and I've technically been in the high risk category (I was also in this category at 34 w/twins). But it really hasn't made any difference in the handling of my pregnancies. Just take good care of yourself and enjoy your pregnancy.

As far as going from three to four, my dh said after you've had three you're already outnumbered and your brain is mush so it really doesn't matter how many more you have after that! Seriously, it shouldn't be a huge change, especially if your other dc are old enough to lend a hand. My older dc have been a wonderful help with the babies and toddlers and have (most of the time) enjoyed themselves in the process.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been changing diapers since 1991 and I still have two in them now. I agree it would be nice to save the $ spent on diapers but this is just a season, albeit a l-o-n-g season! LOL! The actual changing of them doesn't even phase me after all these years - I'm on automatic pilot. I do have some cheerful help at the moment; my 6yo dd thinks it's fun that she's learned how to successfully change a...eh hem...filled diaper. And to her I say, "You go, girl!".

Congratulations, Heather!

My hardest transition was from 1 to 2! Once I had kids old enough to be independent and helpful, it was much easier to add another child. We have four now, and I figure that leaves two pairs - if dh and I can each handle two at a time, we're good!

Enjoy your growing family!

But I don't think it was based shearly on the numbers, but more on the ages of our children at the time - 4 children under 5!

Since then we've had numbers 5 and 6, and the adjustment has been much easier because my oldest can actually help alot!

I think difficulty has more to do with the ages of your current children rather than the number of children you have - does that make sense.

About the risk. The risk gradually increases with age. The reason 35 was chosen is that this is the age that the risk of a chromosomal anomaly outweighs the risk of miscarriage due to amnio - roughly 1/200. There is no big jump in risk at that age, it's just that this is the point where it seemed to make sense to do the amnio.

Yes. However, now if you get a good level 2 ultrasound, your risk from amniocentesis becomes higher than from chromosomal damage. We did that and that infamous blood test every pregnancy, and since I had good blood levels and ultrasounds, my risk of abnormality was far, far lower than that! Just fyi. When I was 39 and pregnant (had my last baby at 40) my odds went down to something like 1/600 or maybe even lower after I did those tests.

I talked about this here several times when Kai was younger. I wondered when I'd stop feeling like I'm supposed to have another.

Now I understand my friends with older kids who look forward with longing to grandchildren.

When I have baby longings (dh was DONE with 3, and went to the doctor to be sure) I tell myself that it is my longings to have grandchildren. If dh would adopt, I'd love to adopt, but I also understand that for him, three is his limit. He grew up in a small quiet family, I grew up in a mid-sized (5 kids) noisy family. Then, if I feel really badly, I remind myself that I have 3 healthy children while some of my friends weren't able to have any or more than 1 (basically, I talk myself into a more thankful for the glass half full mindset!)

Babies usually really like me, which doesn't help. They tend to like my voice for some reason, which may be inherited or picked up by my mother, who is a baby magnet.

Congratulations!!

I think going from 1 to 2 was the hardest. No big deal adding on more from there, it all just kinda fell into place ;)

As for 35 being 'high risk' ... well, the medical profession may try to label you as that. But don't buy into it. I, personally, don't believe age automatically makes you 'high risk'.

I had a much harder time with just my first 2. They are only 2 years apart so I had a toddler and a newborn and since neither could independently do anything it was a little exhausting. We now have 5: DD 6, DD 4, DS 2, DD 17 months and DD 6 months. I'm still exhausted, but I think after the third comes along it's really no big deal and your older children will be able to help you so that makes it easier in some ways as well.

As far as the diapers go, my 2yo DS has NO interest in potty training so I've been stuck with diapers for 6 years STRAIGHT and now have 3 in diapers at the same time....sigh...I look forward to the end of diaper days as well. 8-)

Congratulations to you and your husband!

Blessings,

Caryn

1. If I will be thirty-five when I deliver, does that put me in the high-risk category?

I wouldn't think so. I think that 35, as the magic age of "high risk", has changed over the last few years, as many women are having perfectly fine pregnancies and births at that point, and beyond. Just be good to yourself, as usual. kwim?

2. Three to four... how much of a psychological jump for dh and I should I expect?

You already moved from man-on-man defense to zone defense when you had #3 - same approach, but with one more man on the field. Plus, the other players knows the rules of the game better now, so it's more of a team effort. ;)

3. Will I ever have a time when I don't have to buy diapers? Because when this kids is born, I'll have been changing diapers for 9+ year. 9+ YEARS!!!

Yes, and it will be better than *insert huge rite of passage that you waited forever for, here* (for me, that was finally getting booKs - and I thought it would never happen - I imagine the day of the last diaper change will feel THAT good!) :D

And finally, :party: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Kiss that baby!

Going from three to four wasn't hard, but my circumstances made it harder. My oldest hadn't turned four yet, and the birth of my fourth occurred at a time when my husband had to work a lot of overtime (for three months after the birth). It was a lot of work for me, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Our fourth is joyful and outgoing. I couldn't imagine life without her.