Menu

I like the idea of Life of Fred and The Fallacy Detective, but....

but how do you implement them?

I am finding it takes all our time just to do what is needed for just our day to day school tasks. We did a Life of Fred chapter one and they really liked it, but they need to do regular math as well.....

How do you add these in?

Dawn

We already do Singapore for Math. What I did with my oldest dd ... when she finished Singapore 4A (fractions), then she did LoF Fractions. After that, she started Singapore 4B (decimals/percents) and when she finishes that, she will start LoF Decimals/Percents.

So far that has worked out really well for us. I'm trying to decide what to do after this though. I'll probably have her do Singapore 5A and 5B, but am unsure how LoF will correspond from that point forward so :bigear: However, we will definitely continue using LoF in some way - she loves it :001_smile:

Also curious about fitting in Fallacy Detective - a friend of mine does it once a week (even though her kids ask for more) :001_smile:

It was your main program? Really? Is that all I need? I would love that!

Right now we just have the fractions book and I haven't done much with it.

My oldest did Singapore until this year and switched to MUS. I really don't like MUS, but that is a whole different discussion!

This is our second round with MUS and it just isn't our style. But we will finish what we started this year doggonit! :lol:

Dawn

Which LOF book are you using? At the fractions, Decimals & Percents level we did them 1-2 x/week in lieu of other programs. At the pre-algebra level LOF became our main program.

My son is 10 and would be 5th grade in ps. We do math 5 days a week and SM is our main program. He is now in 5B of SM. We do LOF twice a week. Once a week we do LOF addition to SM. On fridays it is instead of SM.

Logic (fallacy detective) is it's own subject for us and I do that three times a week. We are using the 'orbiting with logic' series. He does one exercise (one page) three times a week. It takes on about 10-15 mins. I don't know how long Fallacy detective exercises would take.

but how do you implement them?

I am finding it takes all our time just to do what is needed for just our day to day school tasks. We did a Life of Fred chapter one and they really liked it, but they need to do regular math as well.....

How do you add these in?

Dawn

My dd does a chapter of LoF as a "warm up" before doing her Chalkdust Pre-Algebra. She did that for the first 3 books, we are now waiting on the 4th, LoF Pre-Algebra 2 w/ Economics

As for Fallacy Detective we just schedule that like we do every other subject. She was doing it 2 days a week but now that she finished Apologia Health (which she was doing the other 3 days a week) she will do Fallacy Detective 5days a week.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

how do you implement Life of Fred and Fallacy Detective. My younger son is currently doing Singapore Math 4B and Life of Fred Fractions. I do about 2-3 chapters one day a week of LOF fractions. I do SM 4B everyday.

My older son does Fallacy Detective. He completed Life of Fred Pre-Algebra. I was going to do LOF Beginning Algebra with him, but Singapore's NEM is so hard. It is taking up our math time. So, I decided to do LOF Algebra next year. I am using that and Saxon Algebra. Fallacy Detective, we do one day a week. He reads the information and I ask the questions.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thanks all. We actually did both today.....but we didn't finish out other work either. Sigh.

I would keep going, but we have scouts tonight and they need a little break between school and scouts. On scout nights we don't even get home until after 10pm.....so it is a very long day.

Dawn

Like others that have posted, we do LOF less often than our main math curriculum. For us, its LOF on Fridays just for a change of pace. I've offered to give it to my dd more than this, but she just LOVES knowing that every Friday she gets to do fun math instead of the usual. We may also do LOF during the summer.

Fallacy Det. takes just a few minutes, and it is a great way to end the school day. We do this twice per week, and I throw in a Mind Bender session about once per week. Dd is 11 yo, 6th grade and really enjoys both pre-logic programs a great deal.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My ds used LOF after finishing up his regular math book for the year (Saxon). We've also done different or supplemental math work in the summer (cuisenaire workbooks on fractions and Penrose books for example). It makes it fun to mix it up a bit.

As for FD, it only takes about 15 minutes. You could read aloud at lunch or in the evening. Or, again, save it for summer.

HTH,

Lisa