Menu

my coloring pencils always break! Need suggestions.

Tabrett

I have regular Crayola coloring pencils and the lead breaks as I try to sharpen the pencils. I also have the "Write Start" chubby Crayola coloring pencils and the entire side of the wood has cracked open and the lead will slide right out. This has happened on several of the Write Start pencils.

What coloring pencils will not break? I would prefer chubby shorter (5") pencils to the longer regular size.

I know the Lyra/Ferby pencils are supposed to be good pencils, but I am having a hard time with paying $13+ shipping for 12 coloring pencils (they are not sold locally). Also I need 3 sets that is $40+ for coloring pencils.

Are there any less expensive coloring pencils of good quality or do I need to just spend the money and buy Lyra/Ferby?

I used to sharpen mine with an Xacto knife. I got sick of that and started using the twistable crayons like everyone else here. The crayons can be sharpened with a regular pencil sharpener. The crayons and the pencils are made of the same plastic (not wax) material, that is neither crayon or pencil. The colors of the crayons match the color wheel better, than the pencils.

Edited by Hunter

I'm very careful with our pencils. We use them in the room with the carpet. The kids do not transport them, unless they're in the stuffed pencil box (I make sure the box is full so the pencils won't jiggle around in transit ;) ). I don't bother with writing pencils, they're cheap to replace, but throwing away art supplies drives me crazy.

My hs art teacher taught us to take care when he handed out our large boxes of Prismacolors and told us they would only be replaced one at a time when they were down to nubs :p

Are there any less expensive coloring pencils of good quality or do I need to just spend the money and buy Lyra/Ferby?

My vote would be to spend the money.

We are big Lyra fans here. My daughter began using them in 6th grade and took them all to college with her.

Regards,

Kareni

What coloring pencils will not break? I would prefer chubby shorter (5") pencils to the longer regular size.

Do you know a woodworker? I bought a bunch of chubby pencils, and had my dad use his saw to cut them in thirds b/c my kids were gripping way too high on the pencil.

We have a Prismacolor sharpener, and it works well with the Prismacolor pencils. I'm not sure what is different about it.

I feel your pain about the colored pencils. I plan on investing in some better quality pencils next year.

Oh wow! I didn't know there were Prismacolor sharpeners. I will have to add it to our next Rainbow order. Thank you for posting this.

To the op, I have many and various products ranging from Crayola, to Faber-Castell and also Prismacolor. One thing that irritates me sometimes with Crayola (keep in mind I like coloring with the boys also :)) is that Adrian sometimes has to press hard in order for a decent color to come out. I found these while we were in Greece and the Middle East and love them, for the daily coloring needs. I have two boxes of twelve but the shades are slightly different so we essentially have 24. They come in sets of twenty four also though. They are watercolor crayons so you can use that feature also ;). I found them at a store the equivalent of Walmart in the Middle East and Europe but I am not sure if stores carry them in North America and who would. Anyway, at least with Amazon you don't have to pay shipping for orders over $25. For Art projects or some of our TOG activities I just give him my Prisma (I have a set of 96) but I watch over him with those :p.

For Malcolm I have a set of triangular chunky color pencils that I saved from Adrian because they were so good but I have no idea where they are right now and cannot remember who they are from :banghead:. I don't give Malcolm color pencils often given his age so I put them somewhere to keep them away from my little climber. Anyway, I will try to find them and let you know what they are.

Oooops! Sorry, I just realized I linked the crayons. Here are the watercolor pencils.

http://www.amazon.com/Karat-Watercolor-Pencils-12-Color-Set/dp/B0027AEKNE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1295239512&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Karat-Watercolor-Pencils-24-Color-Set/dp/B000I7XEEY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1295239512&sr=1-5

I know they are in the price range you said you would prefer not to have to pay but one suggestion I have for you is that whatever you order, just order one set. Then if they don't work for you you will at least not be out three times the money.

ETA: I know we have dropped these and have not noticed any problems with them. Sadly the other day I had to throw out one of my Prismas after I sharpened it down to nothing :(. Anyway, that's the only one I have lost so far.

Edited by Guest

Sorry for the multiple posts but I just found the plain color pencils from Staedtler (without the watercolor feature). Thought I would link them for you since they are significantly cheaper ;).

Set of 12

Set of 24

Hope you find what you are looking for :).

ETA: OK, these say water soluble also actually, so I don't know what the difference is with the ones we have.

Edited by Guest

I'm back :tongue_smilie:. The ones I have saved for Malcolm, it appears, are Bic. Mine just say Evolution on them but they appear to be these. We also have these from Crayola. Anyway, hope that helps.

ETA: OK, forget the second link. I just noticed you said that you have tried Write Start.

Edited by Guest

Try DickBlick for art supplies. I will say the Lyra's are the BEST! The Color Giants and Ferbys, either size, are all nice thick creamy leads. Mine are loving them. Totally worth the money!