Menu

In need of some friendly advice, please

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone would have some friendly advice to offer on a situation I am dealing with right now.

I homeschool my six year old son. My 17 year old daughter goes to a private Christian school and is a senior.

Right now we are having lots and lots of issues with our daughter. Without going into great detail, she is emotionally unstable. We have been to the ER, counselors, other doctors, etc... just recently. It is consuming.

My main focus is getting help for her and getting her better.

School for my son has just gone out the door for the past week now. I can't even focus enough to think about teaching properly. My hope is to resume everything beginning on Monday.

However, another thought crossed my mind and this is where I need some help.

I was thinking... should I enroll my son into the public elementary school just for the remainder of this year? I guess I am thinking that this would give me time to figure out what to do for my daughter without sacrificing schooling for my son.

I just don't know if this is a good solution though. I don't know how it would affect my son.

I would plan on homeschooling him full time again come August. He would be going into 2nd grade at that time.

I guess this thought may not be necessary since we homeschool year round, but I was just wondering.

What would you do in this situation? Any friendly advice is welcome. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

:grouphug: Your son is young enough that he can miss some schooling and be just fine. I would personally not put him in school - I think that would be more of an adjustment for all of you than it would be worth. I would give him some good grade level books to read and give him whatever other independent workbook activities you find, if this were my situation to deal with. :grouphug: for your situation with your daughter. I think that homeschooling is flexible enough to work around a family crisis like this, and you should freely focus on your daughter without worrying that you are "failing" your son - you are NOT. He is very young, and he will be just fine.:grouphug:

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone would have some friendly advice to offer on a situation I am dealing with right now.

I homeschool my six year old son. My 17 year old daughter goes to a private Christian school and is a senior.

Right now we are having lots and lots of issues with our daughter. Without going into great detail, she is emotionally unstable. We have been to the ER, counselors, other doctors, etc... just recently. It is consuming.

School for my son has just gone out the door for the past week now. I can't even focus enough to think about teaching properly. My hope is to resume everything beginning on Monday.

I was thinking... should I enroll my son into the public elementary school just for the remainder of this year? I guess I am thinking that this would give me time to figure out what to do for my daughter without sacrificing schooling for my son.

I just don't know if this is a good solution though. I don't know how it would affect my son.

I would plan on homeschooling him full time again come August. He would be going into 2nd grade at that time.

I guess this thought may not be necessary since we homeschool year round, but I was just wondering.

What would you do in this situation? Any friendly advice is welcome. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

he's six. He won't miss a thing if you let it go, especially if you make a point to read some interesting books with him a couple time a week.

Now if you are needing childcare while you deal with your older daughter....that may change things

Hello,

I'd probably bring home the teen and homeschool the rest of the year with both of them. Especially since she is having emotional issues. I'd want her closer to home.

The youngest will be fine. Keep up with reading and math as best you are able. A few weeks of break won't hurt him at all.

:grouphug: Your son is young enough that he can miss some schooling and be just fine. I would personally not put him in school - I think that would be more of an adjustment for all of you than it would be worth. I would give him some good grade level books to read and give him whatever other independent workbook activities you find, if this were my situation to deal with. :grouphug: for your situation with your daughter. I think that homeschooling is flexible enough to work around a family crisis like this, and you should freely focus on your daughter without worrying that you are "failing" your son - you are NOT. He is very young, and he will be just fine.:grouphug:

:iagree::iagree: I can't agree enough. With the hugs, too. Hugs from another mom who's been there.

Let the rest of the year go, guilt wise with him. Read with him when you can... have him listen to good books on cd. See if maybe a friend could watch him once a week or so... Take long baths... (Calgon... take me away :))

Don't stress about anything education with your 6 year old... just relax about it and he'll soak up enough...

:)

I would very likely bring my teen home and homeschool her too. I wouldn't worry that much about what gets accomplished with the six year old, but I would possibly assign some reading outloud and listening to his reading to the teen. Some teens when they are emotionally unstable really need to feel like they have something to contribute to the family. Reading a funny story to him or listening to him read and correct it, may be a great relationship building experience for both of them.

I would do academics with her and keep it simple...now is not the time to worry about rigor. The flexibility of homeschooling will make juggling her appointments and needs easier. Adding the PS will not...they so often determine your calendar, schedule, etc. and he will likely be sent home with homework that you must complete with him even if your daughter has an appointment or needs your attention. Keep the flexibility is my motto.

(((HUGS))) BTDT...we took guardianship of our troubled niece for six months, five years ago when she was 14. I homeschooled her and tried to keep dd in the private school that I had taught in while homeschooling our K'er. I ended up taking dd out of the private school because homeschooling everyone was easier than homeschooling and maintaining a different school schedule.

Faith

:iagree: with most of the ladies comments.

We are dealing with a lack of formal hsing right now because of my dd's anxiety-working with her, many dr. appts., etc.... I was really stressing about the school thing to. So now, I am just trying to keep it as simple as possible. Science dvd's, audio books, a lot of reading and simple math. But my dd is almost 9, and my ds is 7. For your 6 year old, you can totally scale back.

The advice I was given was that you need to be relaxed and lessen your stress, then you can help them. So, lighten everything up, and take the pressure off of yourself.

Good luck.:grouphug:

ritualizing things helps. so back when i was dealing with thyroid cancer and lots of doctors appointments, we did math and spelling in the waiting rooms..... every time..... so for the littles, it began to feel normal. "when are we going to kaiser today? i have my books ready". sigh.... but emotionally, it actually made it easier for them, and for me. they did math in waiting rooms, in treatment rooms, etc.

:grouphug: about your daughter. i'm glad you're trying to get her some help.

tea and chocolate for you.....

ann

I would just not worry about school- if you do put him in school he'll either love it or hate it. If he hates it and is dealing with the stress of going there that will just add to your plate of problems. If he loves it then he may not want to come back home for homeschooling and that could be setting yourself up for future stress/problems.

Maybe you could find a good high school student in your neighborhood who could "tutor" a few times a week - go over math lessons with your son, have him read to him, etc.

I would tend to think that your son would be less confused and burdened by all that is going on if he were mentally occupied, but that would not have to look like any particular kind of schooling. Perhaps you could find activity packs, worksheets, tutoring, etc that met some of his need for structured schooling without requiring too much of you mentally and emotionally. I would especially suggest this if he LIKES school. If he doesn't, then I would do more of what he does like and call it school. If he's arty, let him do a ton of art stuff. If give him your digital camera and let him learn to take photos - that kind of thing.

The other thought is that this might be a good time to let him get involved in a sport or other activity that he really likes. Exercise is a stress reliever for him, and it could be "gym" from your perspective. You still would have to drive him around, but he would be happy and you would have some structure for him.

I wouldn't exactly worry about academics for your 6yr old. I would only put him in ps if the home environment is too stressed or volatile right now, KWIM? If he could play and keep himself happily occupied at home, I think that would be great. You could do school when you can. :grouphug: I'm sorry you and your dd are in such a tough place. :grouphug:

Thanks so much for the wonderful replies. What everyone is saying makes sense and I sure do not want to possibly create more stress by sending my son to public school. I honestly didn't think to much about that happening.

We will just take it one day at a time and get through all this as we are able.

Thanks again for the kind advice and support. I very much appreciate it. :)

Everyone have a wonderful day! :)

Been there, done that. We lost a lot of school discipline due to a major family medical crisis. It was a long-term thing, too, that permanently altered our lives. When we were in the height of the crisis it was absolutely crazy. I was sure I'd ruined my kids (dd in particular), and terrified to see their test results. However, when I did do standardized testing, I found that both kids are doing great. My dd is now comfortably taking high school level courses in English and Spanish and doing great.

He's young enough so that it won't matter much. Enjoy read-alouds and PBS nature shows from Netflix (or other educational shows). Let him do tons of art. Work in math as you are able (and NO guilt when you're not). Not only will it truly be okay, I promise you'll find that he's just fine academically down the road.

I agree with everyone else:

He's six - don't sweat it. Give him fun project type stuff he can do on his own, let him help you cook dinner, get educational computer games, have him read books and watch science and history dvd's.

Don't feel guilty at all.

:grouphug: