Menu

"Paying" for your baby

We had our son right around the time the company my husband worked for declared bankruptcy. They were self-insured, so apparently that knocked out all the insurance as well. My son was born at 34 weeks with respiratory problems and was in the NICU for nearly a month. $42,000.00 bill. :glare: We're still paying on it. Insurance paid zero.

:grouphug: I'm sorry, that bites.

free. I live in Australia, where it is free to have a baby.

Well, I had to buy a diabetes meter for round of gestational diabetes #2. It made me wish I had pinched the meter from round #1 like everyone else :glare::tongue_smilie:

If we'd had to pay what the rest of you lot are paying, I'd still be childless. :(

Rosie

I was curious how much people are having to pay out of pocket to deliver their babies and how you pay for it. We were relatively lucky with both kids to have low insurance deductibles. I am really starting to want another one (and we always wanted kids in multiples of two :)), but we just got our insurance info. and our deductibles have skyrocketed! The idea of going into debt makes me sick. I'm torn and feel like maybe I'm looking at this with tunnel vision. I am pretty set on having my babies in a hospital, due to the deliveries I've had in the past.

I cannot read all of the posts right now, so maybe this has already been said and I missed it.

I suggest you check around and find out the costs of several hospitals. If that will help, depending on how your insurance is set up.

We had our son right around the time the company my husband worked for declared bankruptcy. They were self-insured, so apparently that knocked out all the insurance as well. My son was born at 34 weeks with respiratory problems and was in the NICU for nearly a month. $42,000.00 bill. :glare: We're still paying on it. Insurance paid zero.

I cannot imagine. :(

Does the hospital have any sort of financial aid programs? I am so sorry.