Menu

It's 5 am and I'm having a panic attack about...

dd's high school experience (she's in 10th grade). This has been keeping me up nights more and more. She is working from 9am to as late as I will let her. When I let her make her own hours, she'll stay up till 1am or later. I've started requiring her to go to bed at 11, but she doesn't get everything done. She is supposed to start taking Spanish at the CC next week (Compass test on Sat.), but that would be a 2-hour class MWF, and I don't know where those hours are going to come from.

I honestly don't know whether I'm giving her too much work, or she is not managing her time properly.

Here's what she is doing:

-Geometry using TT book only. That seems to be going fine. Test scores average 91 so far, without spending inordinate amount of time. An hour a day on the days she does it. If she continues about 3 lessons/week, she'll finish on time this school year.

-Algebra II online with Jann in TX. Also going fine (it's been very liberating to hand math over to another teacher). Usually around an hour/day, sometimes longer. Average around 90-ish right now.

-Literature with me. Early modern. Currently reading Frankenstein and using Progeny Press guide. Going ok--pages/day to read not inordinate--maybe 1/2 hour reading and 1/2 hour for study guide/discussion. Short paper for most books, and one longer paper per semester. Average of papers so far in the 90s.

-World history, early modern. Reading and outlining text, one chapter/month, occasional discussion with me, one test/month, one paper/semester in either this or Am. Hist. Time varies--1/2 hr to 1 hr. per day.

-American history, to Civil War. Reading/outlining text, two chapters/month, occasional discussion, two tests/month. Time same as world hist.

-Biology. This is the killer. We started the year with Singapore Biology Matters, but quickly discovered that that program is completely experiment-based. The learning occurs in doing the labs, and that suited neither of us. She learns best by reading, and I *hate* doing labs, and with 3 other dc I just wasn't making the time. She badly wanted a text-based course, with no online bells & whistles. About a month in, we switched to a college text for non-majors called Inquiry into Life. There is a study guide with extensive review questions and a test for each chapter. There is also an extensive online review. This takes her anywhere from 1-3 hours/day. Nothing is too hard for her to understand, there's just a huge amount to be memorized. One chapter with test each week. I'd like to slow this down, but with the late start she just won't finish this year if we go slower, even with cutting some chapters. When she really puts in a lot of time on this, she does well on the test. She's got a C average right now. But spending hours/day on one subject stresses her out and doesn't seem right to me.

Adding up the hours I've listed here shows 8-hour days. But she starts working at 9am, and is still working until bedtime, which I have to enforce. And she's supposed to add another course, CC Spanish. I don't see how that will be possible. Also, 8-hours of work doesn't mean she finishes in 8 hours--she has to breathe in between, use the bathroom, eat, etc. She stops work at 12 for lunch and rests in her room, reads, texts friends. This is supposed to be an hour break, but it is always longer. She says that time gets wasted here b/c she is very slow to start back to work after this break.

I am trying to figure out whether I'm giving her too much, or she is not working efficiently. It may be a combination of both. I think without that Bio there would be no problem, but we can't drop it and it's too late in the year to switch again.

She (like me) is a very high-stress personality, and very independent. Likes to work alone, doesn't take criticism well. She hates that, as my oldest, she is the one I'm "learning on," and every time we have to change course, such as with the bio, she gets more stressed. She's terrified of being "behind" her peers.

I was counting on her doing math, science, and foreign language for her jr. and sr. years at CC, but now I'm afraid of her being overwhelmed with doing all that at college pace. I'm also afraid she won't do well enough on placement testing to even take her pre-calc, calc, chem, and physics there. I think I could do the math at home with her if I had to; I had all that math plus more at the college level and did well. But I cannot do lab courses at home.

She contends that she is not working efficiently and just needs to force herself to work, particularly in the hours after lunch. But I think it's also possible that she doesn't want to admit (to herself or to me) that anything is too hard.

Thanks so much to anyone who has read through all this. I don't know if it's making sense or not. I'm feeling very stressed right now and could use some gentle and impartial advice.

I assess this as the half-way point for the year, count up what we still have to cover, realize we've covered about a quarter of it, and wonder how on earth I thought we could skip the conventional high school experience. I think you will feel better next week, after she takes the CC placement tests. She can probably start doing math at CC where ever they place her. If your CC is like mine, they have math classes going all the way down to basic arithmetic. Having those placement tests come back saying she can take college level classes for credit is very encouraging.

I find that by the beginning of winter, my son is working very, very inefficiently. By then, the enthusiasm and self-directedness has worn off. Christmas break helps with that. I often have to give more help with keeping distractions away (like the internet) in the winter, too, for some reason. I always wonder if it is low daylight? Anyway, pulling him out to work where I can see him helps. He just isn't as independent in the winter as he is in the fall and the spring.

Your daughter seems to be taking:

2 maths

2 histories

1 literature

1 science

Wouldn't a typical rigorous academic load would be more like:

1 math

1 history

1 literature

1 science

1 foreign language

something easy

?

Perhaps she just is overloaded this semester? It takes my sons at least an hour and a half just to get through one math class, often two. If she is taking two, I wouldn't be surprised if that took up the whole morning all by itself.

Your addition of the hours probably isn't taking breaks into account, which is why the math doesn't really add up. My 10th grader, left to his own devices, takes a half or three-quarter hour break between every subject. That means that every two subjects that take about an hour are really taking three.

Just some thoughts... I'm sure somebody else will have something more useful to say.

-Nan

As has been mentioned, I think it's taking so long because of the doubling up of math and history. At the least, I'd drop either US or world history until next year. If she does the geometry on the days she doesn't have a CC class that could work okay.

I think she knows the main problem - getting back to work after her texting break. :tongue_smilie: I think if she could just have lunch - maybe take a walk or something - and then not go on the computer or text at all until school work is finished, I think you'll find she's done long before dinner. :)

The math was her choice. She wants to get to Calculus in high school, but she didn't do algebra I until 9th grade (partly b/c I made some disastrous curriculum decisions). As I said, she's terrified of being "behind" and her closest friends are doing Calc. in high school. She even had a couple of older relatives tell her that she really should get Calculus done in high school. I let her make the choice, while pointing out that several teachers and professors on this forum have said that it's not critical to take Calculus in high school. She was determined, so I selected TT as a geometry program that would be solid but easy to do alone. (She doesn't use the cds, just the book.)

History. We're doing world history ala WTM--over four years, one time period per year. I felt it necessary to do American history as well, and the plan is to spread it over 2 years. I love the book but it is meaty. I have considered dropping it this year and letting her take it at CC.

Thank you so much for replying, Kinsa! Any further thoughts are appreciated--it helps me so much to talk it out.

:grouphug:

To me, it looks like she's overloaded with difficult courses. Is there any particular reason why she's doubled up in math & science this year? I would try to put at least one math or science, if not one of each, on a back burner for now, if possible. Does she have any "fun" classes--like an elective or an extracurricular activity that she enjoys?

I would also try to streamline her transition between subjects & lunch to minimize the time lost. Can she set a timer and get back to work sooner?

How does she feel about her schedule? Is she burnt out? Does she have time to socialize with friends or pursue hobbies? Is she tired from staying up so late?

I hope you find a solution!

Hey Amy -

This may or may not help, but we had a similar issue with our dd18 about the same time as yours. She's work all day - ALL Day - and never seem to get done. Liked to be alone in her room, away from the hub-bub of all the younger kids. I was happy to let her alone - b/c it was "easier" for me.

But what I found out was that she was WASTING an incredible amount of time. Her Dad & I challenged her to keep a time log and show it to us each day, so we could see what she's doing. That helped us identify and eliminate any time wasters.

Here's the other thing. I know how I feel when I have so much work that it takes me literally all day without a break - I get very, very inefficient. Is she getting physical exercise? A break that involves running around, or a brisk walk? That also helped my dd as well.

Just a few thoughts. I also agree with the others about 2 histories. . . . although I understand your reasoning about 2 maths.

HTH!

She can probably start doing math at CC where ever they place her.

But if she doesn't score well enough to take pre-calc there, she'd be repeating some math she's already taken. Right now, I don't think she'd do well on a math placement test. OTOH, she's not trying to take math this spring, only Spanish. We could do a lot of reviewing and she can retake the math portion of the placement test next fall. I'm just panicking about leaving things to the future!

Your daughter seems to be taking:

2 maths

2 histories

1 literature

1 science

Wouldn't a typical rigorous academic load would be more like:

1 math

1 history

1 literature

1 science

1 foreign language

something easy

-Nan

Yes. A variety of reasons. She's doubling up on math because various people have convinced her that it's crucial to get Calculus in during high school. This was entirely her choice.

She's doubling up on history because I don't know how to get American history in otherwise. We're spreading it over two years while doing world history over four years ala WTM. I've considered dropping it and doing it at CC next year, but she'd still be doing two histories at once, only next year instead of this year, when she'll (hopefully) be taking other, harder classes at CC.

The plan for foreign languages is to do four semesters at CC. We were not successful at doing them at home. We tried German last year because I can teach her that, but she hated it. She really wanted to take Spanish. I can't teach her that, and she didn't want to do it online, so that left CC.

Thank you so much Nan--does what I've said make any sense?

As has been mentioned' date=' I think it's taking so long because of the doubling up of math and history. At the least, I'd drop either US or world history until next year. If she does the geometry on the days she doesn't have a CC class that could work okay.

I think she knows the main problem - getting back to work after her texting break. :tongue_smilie: I think if she could just have lunch - maybe take a walk or something - and then not go on the computer or text at all until school work is finished, I think you'll find she's done long before dinner. :)[/quote']

Very good advice about the break. There will be a dramatic scene and plenty of argument with reasons--there always is with any change with this one--but you're probably right. :)

How does she feel about her schedule? Is she burnt out? Does she have time to socialize with friends or pursue hobbies? Is she tired from staying up so late?

I think she's somewhat burnt out. She does exercise hard most days because she loves to. She socializes on the weekends. She really would rather be in school, though. We've had honest discussions about that. I would consider that only if, God forbid, she were clinically depressed staying at home. The schools around here are really that abysmal.

Thanks for the encouragement--it's so helpful!

It does make sense, and I understand your reasoning. How are you giving credit for the history? With my older son, I decided that I would cut down on history, just have him read Spielvogel, not outline it, and write the occasional short paper. I gave him one credit for world history as a result. He had other social studies electives, so this worked for us. Reading a US history overview, Idiot's Guide, some of the logic stage US history list, and the foundational documents (great books) gave him a US history credit. (He had done some activist work and I counted that as the output.) I think it is going to take a huge amount of time to do both a traditional textbook approach AND a great books approach for history. That doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully it makes how everyone else manages clearer.

About the math - I would just have her take the placement test again at the end of this year, in preparation for her fall semester of taking math. I understand why she is doing two maths and it sounds like that is working well, so whatever else I altered, I wouldn't change that. I probably would insist that it get done in the morning, though, because things done in the morning, at least in my household, tend to be much more efficient. I would try to have her do one more subject in the morning, probably literature. And I would try to talk her into taking only one short break before lunch. That will get her three solid hours of work in the morning and should make the rest of the day easier. I would pick another two subjects that have to be finished in the afternoon, right after lunch, in one solid stretch. I would probably put the bio first here, give her an ending time, and tell her to do the world history only when and if she got the bio done by 4. Basically, I would pick something to skimp on and drag out over several years, if need be. And I would let her do one in the evening on her own, perhaps your US history. I have no idea whether this would work or not, but it might be worth a try.

I totally sympathize with your problem. Sigh.

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

Something nobody else mentioned that might help:

You could try having her do something active for 10-15 minutes every two hours, like jump rope, trampoline, jogging, jumping jacks, ... That might help her to reset and be better able to get back to the grind.

I agree with the others that doubling up on math and history in the same year is a pretty tough proposition. I can see the reason for the math. With history, I would make one the primary history and keep it pretty much the same as you have it, but I'd make the other just reading.

I would also have her try timing herself. When she starts working on something, start a counting-up timer to see how long it takes her. That could be quite revealing.

Hey Amy -

This may or may not help, but we had a similar issue with our dd18 about the same time as yours. She's work all day - ALL Day - and never seem to get done. Liked to be alone in her room, away from the hub-bub of all the younger kids. I was happy to let her alone - b/c it was "easier" for me.

But what I found out was that she was WASTING an incredible amount of time. Her Dad & I challenged her to keep a time log and show it to us each day, so we could see what she's doing. That helped us identify and eliminate any time wasters.

Here's the other thing. I know how I feel when I have so much work that it takes me literally all day without a break - I get very, very inefficient. Is she getting physical exercise? A break that involves running around, or a brisk walk? That also helped my dd as well.

Just a few thoughts. I also agree with the others about 2 histories. . . . although I understand your reasoning about 2 maths.

HTH!

That certainly does sound like my dd! She does exercise most days, but she herself admits that she wastes time after lunch. She's a funny combination of being hard on herself and resisting any criticism or suggestions from others. Exactly like her mother. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you!

It does make sense, and I understand your reasoning. How are you giving credit for the history? With my older son, I decided that I would cut down on history, just have him read Spielvogel, not outline it, and write the occasional short paper. I gave him one credit for world history as a result. He had other social studies electives, so this worked for us. Reading a US history overview, Idiot's Guide, some of the logic stage US history list, and the foundational documents (great books) gave him a US history credit. (He had done some activist work and I counted that as the output.) I think it is going to take a huge amount of time to do both a traditional textbook approach AND a great books approach for history. That doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully it makes how everyone else manages clearer.

About the math - I would just have her take the placement test again at the end of this year, in preparation for her fall semester of taking math. I understand why she is doing two maths and it sounds like that is working well, so whatever else I altered, I wouldn't change that. I probably would insist that it get done in the morning, though, because things done in the morning, at least in my household, tend to be much more efficient. I would try to have her do one more subject in the morning, probably literature. And I would try to talk her into taking only one short break before lunch. That will get her three solid hours of work in the morning and should make the rest of the day easier. I would pick another two subjects that have to be finished in the afternoon, right after lunch, in one solid stretch. I would probably put the bio first here, give her an ending time, and tell her to do the world history only when and if she got the bio done by 4. Basically, I would pick something to skimp on and drag out over several years, if need be. And I would let her do one in the evening on her own, perhaps your US history. I have no idea whether this would work or not, but it might be worth a try.

I totally sympathize with your problem. Sigh.

-Nan

Lots of food for thought about the history. I was planning on giving four credits for world, and one for American. It's very, very tempting to lighten it up and give one credit for world. I wonder it we'd have enough credits for graduation--probably so, if she takes all those CC courses. But we don't have any other social studies type credits.

Another option is CC World History I and II (one semester each). But then the two years we've already put in would be wasted.

I'm feeling frustrated that her first two years of high school have included so many mistakes and changes. She's frustrated about that too. It seems that now there is no more time for mistakes, and CC is a big fat unknown.

I would also have her try timing herself. When she starts working on something, start a counting-up timer to see how long it takes her. That could be quite revealing.

Lol, I just suggested this yesterday. Massive resistance. She thinks it's enough to realize that she's wasting time somewhere, but doesn't want to take any specific measures other than "working harder." I'll insist, and she'll finally give in, and then be happy. It's our pattern...

I took Algebra in 9th grade and did Pre-Calc in summer school after my junior year so that I could take Calculus my senior year. You might want to consider postponing one of your doubled up courses until the summer.

I haven't lost sleep yet, but I don't doubt that I will...

We hope to be traveling this summer, but you've given me an idea--some type of online or hybrid summer course as offered by CC. I must think about this.

Thanks,

My dd18 (as of today!) is doing Pre-Cal as a senior. She did Algebra 1 in 9th, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th.

She is NOT behind. There is no reason to rush math. Math needs to be learned methodically and thoroughly, not rushed through because "everyone else is in Calculus"...

My dd has ps'd friend that are in Calculus...and struggling mightily because they've encountered concepts over the years that never got cemented and now they can't do it.at.all...they are in tutoring classes several times a week...and these are smart kids, highly ranked in their class. Some of the friends are taking Statistics this year instead of Calculus. So, you see not everyone takes Calculus in high school.

I would also only have her do one history...a typical history sequence in our area is...World Geography in 9th, World History in 10th, U.S. History in 11th and U.S. Government/Economics in 12th. There is no need to double up.

Good luck.

Robin

It is MUCH more important that a student understand the math they're doing than that they get through calculus in high school. If she can handle two math credits at a time, if she's motivated and understanding it all, then fine, go ahead and do it. But if she thinks it's too much, then drop back to one and just don't get through calculus. The majority of kids don't do calculus in high school. (And lots do calc in high school but have to repeat it in college anyway because they rushed through it all.)

Many kids aren't really developmentally ready for calc in high school anyway. It's better, educationally speaking, for some kids to wait. And once she's a junior in college no one is going to remember when she took calculus anyway.

On biology: it sounds to me that she may be doing too much memorization. Biology isn't all memorization. The concepts are more important than most of the terms. Is there some way you could track down a study guide from a class that would show what a reasonable teacher or professor actually expects their students to know? The review questions at the back of the chapter tend to include EVERYTHING for the sake of "completeness". (As would a "study guide" that you bought, so that wouldn't be any help.)

Even just finding a few college syllabuses that used the book you're using might clue you in on how many chapters would actually get covered in a college course. Look for a one semester college course, as that would correspond to a year high school course.

My dd18 (as of today!)

She is NOT behind. There is no reason to rush math. Math needs to be learned methodically and thoroughly, not rushed through because "everyone else is in Calculus"...

I couldn't agree more. Believe me, we had these discussions, but she was adamant, and I agreed to let her try it. Surprisingly, math is the subject that's not causing any stress this year. :)

I generally think of CC classes as the next, rather than a repeat. I took chem in high school and then in college at a higher level, for example. That might help you feel better about the CC history option. If I were you, though, I wouldn't bother about world history at CC. I would finish whatever world history you can and give a credit or two for that, then I would look at other history classes at CC, if she needs more social studies classes, or classes like anthropology or sociology or geography or something. That way, she wouldn't feel like she was doubling up. Ours has some interesting sounding ones. But I'm not that worried about gaps in history.

-Nan

We are travelling, too, by car. My older son read his US history text when we were travelling round the US and hopefully, my youngest will do it then, too. We just took the number of days and divided it into the number of pages. We came out with something reasonable. I've done this with other things, too, and then had the student do the written work (I tend to favour a few papers rather than the textbook questions for things like history) when school began in the fall. It isn't a perfect plan (no practise with dealing with textbook questions), but it worked out ok.

-Nan

On biology: it sounds to me that she may be doing too much memorization. Biology isn't all memorization. The concepts are more important than most of the terms. Is there some way you could track down a study guide from a class that would show what a reasonable teacher or professor actually expects their students to know? The review questions at the back of the chapter tend to include EVERYTHING for the sake of "completeness". (As would a "study guide" that you bought, so that wouldn't be any help.)

Even just finding a few college syllabuses that used the book you're using might clue you in on how many chapters would actually get covered in a college course. Look for a one semester college course, as that would correspond to a year high school course.

Good idea. I bought the book from a local used bookstore, so possibly it was used at some college around here. I've already cut a lot of chapters, though...

Why does she need so many credits of history for graduation? Most colleges only need 3 years (or even less?) of history/social science. If your daughter already has a couple credits of world history and is currently getting a US history, then that's plenty.

On the transcript, you could just list her world history courses so far (she's done two credits, right?) as "ancient history" and "world history through 1450" or however far she got. (But you might also want to look around at what happens in the high school "world history" courses. I'm betting a lot of the single year courses don't make it up to modern day --or don't even start until 1450. There's only so much that can be covered in one year.)

Or your daughter might even have a credit in psych or anthropology or whatever that would count in this credit category.

However, if you're really intent on getting through all of history, you might want to collapse the last two credits (since 1450?) into one credit and just get it done. She'll have had the history, just not in the depth she had for the ancient history.

My oldest got into college with one year of world history, one of US, 1/2 of archaeology, and 1/2 of ancient history (even though it "duplicated" world history). Nobody batted an eye. Her world history didn't even get to the modern world (nobody asked), but I didn't worry about it because she did an extensive study of US modern history which, by necessity, covered a lot of what was going on in the rest of the world at the time. She still covered history better than any other high schooler I know. It might have been nice if she'd done more, but frankly, she was intent on (I hesitate to admit it) getting through calc and college physics before the end of high school. (But she had a reason -- now she can double major in physics and theater in college without taking an extra year - which we can't afford. AND she took an extra year in high school because she wasn't up to starting college just yet -- she does have a late birthday though...)

We are travelling, too, by car. My older son read his US history text when we were travelling round the US and hopefully, my youngest will do it then, too. We just took the number of days and divided it into the number of pages. We came out with something reasonable. I've done this with other things, too, and then had the student do the written work (I tend to favour a few papers rather than the textbook questions for things like history) when school began in the fall. It isn't a perfect plan (no practise with dealing with textbook questions), but it worked out ok.

-Nan

That's an interesting idea. I always assign some reading in the summer anyway. It's really hard for me to get out of the start-in-the-fall-finish-in-the-spring mindset.

Hmm..

How long does she take to read? is she a slow reader that needs that time to absorb the content? Or is she a fast reader?

I ask because my daughter was the same (and she's a perfectionist) but what was happening was that she was a very very slow reader-but remembered everything. So I had to shave 95% of the reading list off and I switched from WTM to Ambleside Online (CM) which is many books, little bites.

Just a thought-

That certainly does sound like my dd! She does exercise most days, but she herself admits that she wastes time after lunch. She's a funny combination of being hard on herself and resisting any criticism or suggestions from others. Exactly like her mother. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you!

Lunch socks me. Really. After lunch I can't get anything done. So I eat lunch at the school table. It sucks, it's not really a break for me, but if we have to work longer, then I just eat while the kids are working around me. Can she snack all day? I mean, it's six and one half dozen of another. She can take the break and just take a longer time to get back into the swing of things, or she can work through and take off earlier?

It's hard. :grouphug: Don't beat yourself up about switching stuff up because we need to find what works for them and pushing through with what obviously IS NOT working isn't the answer, either. Otherwise they'd be in school. :001_smile:

Why does she need so many credits of history for graduation? Most colleges only need 3 years (or even less?) of history/social science. If your daughter already has a couple credits of world history and is currently getting a US history, then that's plenty.

Those four credits of World History would take the place of 1 World, 1 American, 1 Geography, and 1 something else. I just feel strongly that one year of world history is grossly inadequate, and I like the WTM approach. (We did a world geography course in 8th grade).

I do agree that it doesn't have to be four credits, though; it could be covered a little more lightly and given two.

Thanks,

Very good advice about the break. There will be a dramatic scene and plenty of argument with reasons--there always is with any change with this one--but you're probably right. :)

Oh my gosh I know exactly how those arguments go - we have had the same battles here. :tongue_smilie::lol: Right now I've got the distinct advantage in that my computer is the only one with internet access. :D

Hmm..

How long does she take to read? is she a slow reader that needs that time to absorb the content? Or is she a fast reader?

She's a fairly fast reader, but I think she's still learning how to take the most effective notes and how long to spend on notetaking. That's a skill that I think has to come with experience and seeing what's most effective with her, and she is really making an effort on this.

Several disjointed thoughts because I am sick....

With my oldest, ds, now in college, I thought we HAD to be ready for calculus by college. He took precalculus as a senior in high school (homeschooled K-12). He even placed in calculus. He got high SAT scores, really good student, but Calc. 1 he got a C, and Calc. 2 he failed. Poor guy. The college adviser tried to talk us into precalculus, we should have listened. The adviser also said homeschoolers think they can do any subject and will try to do subjects that are too hard. College is a big adjustment, and take note, the math moves twice as fast (they cover one year high school wise in one semester (16 weeks). So, unless you have a student that does math from the womb at faster than lightening speeds, I would take precalculus in 12th grade, then repeat it as a freshman in college. And, to my surprise, you don't have to even take college algebra for a non-math/science degree.

I am also homeschooling dd, an 11th grader. She does school from the time she gets up until she goes to bed. I'm sure she isn't nose to the grindstone the entire time. As adults, we wouldn't be either, think an 8-5 job, people get up and move around and visit for a break. I would love for her to move faster, but she does a nice amount of work and gets good grades. She refuses to plow through reading and cram the information.... she really wants to get it and remember it. That isn't a bad trait. She is probably like that because she is homeschooled.

I suspect your dd is even faster than my dd because she is doing two maths and a lab intensive science. The labs this year in chemistry are killing us. They aren't hard, but they break the flow of our every day routine. It takes a while to set them up, do them, take notes, then write up a lab report. That isn't the same as reading a text and doing problems.

Our 11th grade classes are: Algebra 2 (BJU online DVDS), Chemistry (Apologia, VHSG), English 3 (Lit. book, vocabulary, and grammar), American History (All American History), Spanish (Breaking the Barrier), Art, PE.

CC Spanish has a much faster pace than PS Spanish.

2 SEMESTERS of Spanish at the CC will cover at least 3 years of high school Spanish.

My dd just finished Spanish 2 at our CC... she was much further along than her PS friends who have had '3 years'...

Texas A&Ms look at her 2 CC classes as being = to 4 YEARS of high school Spanish-- and it meets their 'foreign language' requirement too. DD is so glad to NOT have to take more Spanish!

--

On a bright note your dd is such a nice conscientious student! She is active in the class and her tests are a joy to grade (very neat, orderly and wrong answers are RARE!).

But if she doesn't score well enough to take pre-calc there, she'd be repeating some math she's already taken. Right now, I don't think she'd do well on a math placement test. OTOH, she's not trying to take math this spring, only Spanish. We could do a lot of reviewing and she can retake the math portion of the placement test next fall. I'm just panicking about leaving things to the future!

Yes. A variety of reasons. She's doubling up on math because various people have convinced her that it's crucial to get Calculus in during high school. This was entirely her choice.

She could just do math (one course) 6 days/week until she's where she thinks she needs to be. She may just score higher than you think though. My ds took the COMPASS and tested into trig or precalc with only Geometry (TT) the first half of Algebra 2 under his belt.

She's doubling up on history because I don't know how to get American history in otherwise.

CC should cover it in one semester.

The plan for foreign languages is to do four semesters at CC.

One semester in college typically covers 1 year in high school (At least ours does). I'd be surprised if they even offered four levels of any language. All the more reason for her to lighten up now since CC Spanish is going to be double paced.

My ds took trig last semester, is enrolled on Calc 1 now, and if all goes as planned Calc 2 in the fall and Calc 3 next spring (along with other classes of course). Those are each one intense 16 week semester.

... the math moves twice as fast (they cover one year high school wise in one semester (16 weeks). So, unless you have a student that does math from the womb at faster than lightening speeds, I would take precalculus in 12th grade, then repeat it as a freshman in college. And, to my surprise, you don't have to even take college algebra for a non-math/science degree.

I know--this is one of my fears. I suspect she'll insist on trying the CC calc, and maybe have to drop it. We'll see...

BTW, I hope you feel better!

Texas A&Ms look at her 2 CC classes as being = to 4 YEARS of high school Spanish-- and it meets their 'foreign language' requirement too. DD is so glad to NOT have to take more Spanish!

--

On a bright note your dd is such a nice conscientious student! She is active in the class and her tests are a joy to grade (very neat, orderly and wrong answers are RARE!).

Yes, I'm in more of a funk than she is right now because I don't see how she can add in that Spanish when she has no extra time in the day.

Jann, you are so sweet to praise her. And she IS a great student--with other teachers! She wants to impress strangers; she doesn't care whether I'm annoyed with her or not. :confused: Your class has been such a blessing to us this year. Math isn't stressful anymore! I wish you taught pre-calc and calc too...