Menu

Need help with handwriting?

I have some trouble with handwriting, not printing, but writing in cursive. My handwriting in print is neat and tidy, while my cursive handwriting is a little sloppy. Although it does sound wierd for a 16 year old to ask for some help on handwriting, I don't know what else to do. My cursive handwriting is legible but uncoordinated somehow. Is there anything out there that can help me with my cursive handwriting? :bigear:

I would suggest going back to an elementary handwriting book (we use A Reason For Handwriting-look at the transition book of Book C) and study the individual letters and how they connect. I'm sure if you did some practice, you could improve the aesthetics of your cursive in a short amount of time.

Thanks lol, I feel a little embarrassed about asking for help in handwriting:blush:, but I was never really taught good penmanship, so I think that's where it all starts. Thank you again!

Dont feel embarrassed! Its very commendable to see a problem and be willing to ask for help no matter what it is. NOTHING to be embarrassed about :grouphug: Also, I have heard that if you learn calligraphy it helps with cursive. I dont know that to be fact, but a thought- have fun with it :D

My friend and I are in our 40s and are seriously tackling handwriting right now.

I just ordered us Startwrite software. She will be using the Handwriting Without Tears font and I will be using a more traditional one.

I got frustrated trying to use the free online worksheet generators.

Money is tight, or I would have ordered us workbooks too, but I had to pick one or the other. We are using SOW which requires daily copying scripture, as a part of our memory work, so I decided to buy the software.

My friend's handwriting is so bad that it impairs her ability to do her studies. It's that bad. She never even mastered a consistent way to write some letters, never mind them being messy. And somehow she graduated from college like that :-0

I switched my style of handwriting to please someone else, and I deeply regret doing that. Handwriting is such a personal statement about ourselves. I'm now carefully picking what I want my handwriting to look like, and then will work to master that style until it looks the way I want it to, and reflects who I think I am.

First Strokes has a cursive workbook that is $15. I have not used their cursive program but I like their manuscript program.

If you might want to switch to joined italics instead of cursive, Barchowsky Fluent Handwriting has a program called Fix it Write for 19.95. I love the look of the joined italic.

Dont feel embarrassed! Its very commendable to see a problem and be willing to ask for help no matter what it is. NOTHING to be embarrassed about :grouphug: Also, I have heard that if you learn calligraphy it helps with cursive. I dont know that to be fact, but a thought- have fun with it :D

Thank you for this and your encouraging words, and I have always like the look of calligraphy, thank you for your input!:)

My friend and I are in our 40s and are seriously tackling handwriting right now.

I just ordered us Startwrite software. She will be using the Handwriting Without Tears font and I will be using a more traditional one.

I got frustrated trying to use the free online worksheet generators.

Money is tight, or I would have ordered us workbooks too, but I had to pick one or the other. We are using SOW which requires daily copying scripture, as a part of our memory work, so I decided to buy the software.

My friend's handwriting is so bad that it impairs her ability to do her studies. It's that bad. She never even mastered a consistent way to write some letters, never mind them being messy. And somehow she graduated from college like that :-0

I switched my style of handwriting to please someone else, and I deeply regret doing that. Handwriting is such a personal statement about ourselves. I'm now carefully picking what I want my handwriting to look like, and then will work to master that style until it looks the way I want it to, and reflects who I think I am.

That is odd that she graduated from college like that.:001_huh: I wonder how she did it... Thank you for your help as well, the suggestions are great!

Another, inexpensive, option is the Pentime series. It goes up to level 8. Rainbow Resource carries the series. :)

I think it's terrific you are dedicated to improving your handwriting. :)

Aww thanks, and thank you for your suggestion!

First Strokes has a cursive workbook that is $15. I have not used their cursive program but I like their manuscript program.

If you might want to switch to joined italics instead of cursive, Barchowsky Fluent Handwriting has a program called Fix it Write for 19.95. I love the look of the joined italic.

I have heard of First Strokes, but maybe I should take a look at Barchowsky Fluent Handwriting as well. Thank you!

Another, inexpensive, option is the Pentime series. It goes up to level 8. Rainbow Resource carries the series. :)

:iagree: I have my 8th grade son working through level 8, and it also includes a touch of caligraphy later in the book. It was a bit more difficult than I expected finding an appropriate pen for the caligraphy lessons. :001_smile:

I really like the italic handwriting series by Getty & Dubay. When my dds were young, I did book G to keep them company. It works as a standalone text for adults.

HTH

~Moira

I used Getty-Dubay Write Now (in my mid-40's - I wish it had been around when I was 16!) and I'm very pleased with the improvement in my handwriting. I spent about 6 weeks doing probably less than 30 minutes a day. It was very easy. I am no longer ashamed of my handwriting.

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/

Best wishes.

:iagree:

:iagree: I have my 8th grade son working through level 8, and it also includes a touch of caligraphy later in the book. It was a bit more difficult than I expected finding an appropriate pen for the caligraphy lessons. :001_smile:

I "third" this series. I had my kids doing them, and saw such an improvement in their penmanship. The assignments are short and usually interesting. One day you might write about dolphins, another day, Morse Code, and one day a Proverb. Each 'lesson' has a practice page for letters, then the passage that you copy. Sorry to ramble... I just love this series, and would have *loved* to have used this in my own education years ago.

I also like(ed) that they are inexpensive. :D

My dd14 never received good cursive writing instruction when she was in public school. This year she's been working through a Latin cursive copy book published by Memoriam Press. She loves it because she gets the basics practices her cursive using various Latin sayings and phrases. It doesn't seem to babyish to her. I've noticed a lot of improvement in her cursive, so I guess its working! :lol:

Guest Elena9William

Is there any way to help 8 y/o son improve his handwriting? It is really bad and his teacher this year seemed frustrated..what to do???

Is there any way to help 8 y/o son improve his handwriting? It is really bad and his teacher this year seemed frustrated..what to do???

Well, I'd recommend the same Pentime series I wrote about before! There is a book for every level, 1-8. Cursive begins full-time in level 3 (level 2 has manuscript leading into cursive). HTH!

My ds7 proud of his penmanship, having learned in this series :)

Well, I'd recommend the same Pentime series I wrote about before! There is a book for every level, 1-8. Cursive begins full-time in level 3 (level 2 has manuscript leading into cursive). HTH!

My ds7 proud of his penmanship, having learned in this series :)

:iagree: I discovered this series last year when I was looking for a handwriting book for ds 8. Since dh kept complaining about the older children's handwriting, I put all my children in at grade level. Everyone's handwriting has improved dramatically. :D

If your son is in school it is important that the workbook font matches what the teacher is using.

I have downloaded the free version of Startwrite from the website till my software comes in. it is important not to close the software, or it will lose a lot of it's function. I am printing out text in light gray and spending a lot of time tracing over it.

I bought mine from Rainbow Resource.

I chose the modern cursive font for myself. As I wrote earlier, I chose the handwriting without tears font for my friend. If the teacher can give you the name of the font she is teaching, you will be able to print out worksheets in that font.

I had read on another website the importance in large volumes of tracing and after trying it, I have to say I agree.