Menu

Organization Junkies enter here

I'm on an organizing kick right now. I'm taking one drawer, one cupboard, one closet at a time and trying to get through the whole house. I've hit a big roadblock because I needed to make some space in the basement for a kid activity (indoor baseball training takes up a lot of space!!) so I'm trying to craigslist/donate/trash a ton of stuff down there. To keep me motivated on the fun upstairs stuff, I want to see your super organized brag pictures please!!

I'll start.. here's one cupboard I just redid. It has baking supplies and pasta in it. The containers are Tupperware modular mates (the 11" deep rectangles and super ovals) and of course, I used my label maker. For about a week after I finished this I would just open it and looking at it would make me happy, hee hee! And I still have room on the top shelf, just need to get more containers.

I'm also attaching a picture of the new spice drawer. Previously all the spices were on the first shelf of the cupboard in the other picture. They were hard to get at and it was just a waste of space. Now I just need to find circular labels to put the names on the tops of the ones that stand up and this will be done too.

post-8682-13535084365526_thumb.jpg

post-8682-1353508436568_thumb.jpg

post-8682-13535084365526_thumb.jpg

post-8682-1353508436568_thumb.jpg

Organizational kicks at our house are always expensive! And I have nothing as neat to show for them as you have. My biggest thing currently has been to get as much paperwork onto the computer (which is backed up by Carbonite) as possible. And to make notebooks for the kids' subjects that are spiral bound with 12 weeks worth of work in them (it HAS cut down on loose papers all over the house).

Looks very nice and neat! I love organizing as well. My spice cabinet is a bit out of whack these days so that is on my to do list.

just a thought- I think if that is a pullout drawer it would be nice to have labels on the top so you don't have to pull the spices up to see what they are.

I get on a roll and work on it for a while, then I get overwhelmed and stop.

My modular mates look similar to yours in my cupboard, but I keep my spices in a narrow cupboard next to the stove.

I did get some drawer organizers but have already used those up so I need some more.

Dawn

Oh goody, I get to show off my latest organisational thing!

I was reading a website yesterday that suggested "filing" tshirts in drawers- vertically- so that you can see them all and access them without messing up the whole drawer to get the one at the bottom. Well my drawers arent very high so I couldnt get the folded tshirts to quite file vertically, but this is such an improvement on what I had before- I can see all shirts at once and remove one easily without mussing up the rest. The first is my long sleeved tshirts, the 2nd is my short sleeved and singlets.

The other thing I did yesterday (I was on a roll) was find the thousands of loose photographs I have collected over the years, mostly of the kids and the family, and put them on the floor in my office, and sort them into themes, and actually place some into a couple of empty albums I had (and the rest in neat piles in one drawer to deal with at a later time). I am no scrapbooker but ds15 was quite touched to see an album of photos of himself from birth onwards.

post-2779-13535084365817_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535084366432_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535084365817_thumb.jpg

post-2779-13535084366432_thumb.jpg

For about a week after I finished this I would just open it and looking at it would make me happy, hee hee!

I did the same thing when I got the whole laundry clean and tidy and organized :lol:

One idea which we've found makes things interesting is having a bucket list that is literally a bucket full of jobs. We write them on slips of paper which we fold up and put into small buckets - dh writes my tasks and I write tasks for him. Every few days we decide to do something from the bucket, and one of the kids gets to draw one out for each of us. Most of them are your standard things like "clean out this draw / that shelf" or "repair broken toys" but we put in the occasional fun activity too, eg I got "play something on the piano" the other day.

Don't know whether the above would work for others, but we find it not only makes it more fun, but also eliminates the feeling of overwhelm that can happen when you look at a huge To Do List and wonder what to tackle first.

I know what you mean about looking at the pantry after you've finished and smiling. I did it awhile back for mine (on my blog here) and still go in just to take a quick peek sometimes.

I've been on a major reorganizational kick in our house these last couple of weeks. I just absolutely need to tame the clutter as it makes me crazy.

I'm still trying to find a way to organize our entry way that doesn't always make it look so junky, but without buying any new furniture for it. We have too much stuff stored in there that we need almost everyday, and with no room in bedrooms to store some of it, it has to stay out there (tae kwon do bags for all the boys, library books, winter rack, etc.). It turns out to be a dumping area all the time and drives me crazy. It doesn't help that I'm married to a serious pack rat *sigh*

You guys are my heroes! It was pretty sad when I was on the phone with our HMO last night and the woman on the other end asked if we had received our health assessments in the mail. I said I wasn't sure because "You know those people who have the pile on the kitchen counter and don't know what's in it? We're those people." :D

I'm working on it...baby steps.

You guys are so inspirational! After the minimalists thread, I started tearing through the house getting rid of stuff and reorganizing. We just moved and are still unpacking. My big organizing project right now is my school room and office! It is taking a while trying to be creative due to lack of funds:001_huh:

Oh goody, I get to show off my latest organisational thing!

I was reading a website yesterday that suggested "filing" tshirts in drawers- vertically- so that you can see them all and access them without messing up the whole drawer to get the one at the bottom.

Peela thank you for sharing that, I am going to do that in my kids' drawers. I think it will make a big difference and encourage them to wear something other than the 2 or 3 that are on top!

I've been organizing things so much that my dh told me he was feeling like I was nesting! :lol:

The last thing I did was the above-the-counter narrow cabinet in the kitchen, which holds teas, cleaning products, drinking straws, cat treats, and recipe card boxes (odd assortment, but it works for me). I also did one of the bottom corner cabinets the same night. The pantry is coming soon...

I did dh's closet, but haven't yet been willing to tackle mine. :D

I've been on a big organization kick lately, too. Must be something about winter. I've had to limit myself to one project per week, otherwise my poor family ends up neglected, lol. The last thing I did was get a new set of shelves and finally set up my "pantry" (though I'm not sure it counts as a pantry if it doesn't have doors). Next I'm going to wade into my spice cabinet and take care of that. I've got chives up there that are older than my daughter.