Menu

I want to paint the kitchen cabinets white...

Now tell me if I'm completely insane or not? :tongue_smilie:

Our kitchen is old. It screams "70's". It's a small room and can be very dark. We have yellow Formica counter tops and black appliances.

We have 3 young children and my energy level is low.

If you have white kitchen cabinets, do you find yourself constantly wiping them?

I want a bright, cheery place to spend most of our time in - we do school at the kitchen table.

Help!

Do it. Use washable paint and just wipe them down quickly each day when you clean up from dinner or whatever. I did mine in our previous house, and found it was easiest to roll them and then go over with a brush (ymmv depending on the contours.) Let them dry thoroughly or they'll stick. Soooo much cheaper than replacing!

Do it. Use washable paint and just wipe them down quickly each day when you clean up from dinner or whatever. I did mine in our previous house, and found it was easiest to roll them and then go over with a brush (ymmv depending on the contours.) Let them dry thoroughly or they'll stick. Soooo much cheaper than replacing!

:iagree: However, I have found that I have better results if I first do the cracks and crevices with a brush, THEN go over with a mini roller. I get a much smoother finish by using the roller last.

When we remodeled part of our house, we replaced stained baseboards and doors with white. My house can be so dark that I wanted it lighter. I have to say I regret that now 4 years later. Yes, it added light, however, I didn't realize how much dust, grime and chips in the paint can show up and make it look bad. I rarely wiped baseboards when they were stained. Now I look down and think I have one more thing I have to clean up.

My recommendation would not be white. I think a color to the paint would be better - blue, red, yellow, green, even gray with a yellow undertone. I could not imagine adding wiping down my cupboards every day to my to-do list.

Do it! You'll love it.

We painted our awful '70s cabinets a pale green, not white, but it brightened the kitchen tremendously (now to do something about the horrific vinyl floor...).

I primed first, as the wood was pretty heavily grained, then brushed on the green. I also changed the cabinet and drawer pulls, which made a big difference.

And unless you're a real perfectionist, leave the doors on and paint around the hinges. You might have to clean up the hinges a bit, but it's so much less work than removing, keeping track of, and rehanging the doors.

I have white cabinets in my kitchen.

Be sure to use Kitchen / bath cabinet paint that is washable. Also prime and do a good prep before you paint.

I find a baby-wipe works wonders for cleanup, and no I'm not cleaning them constantly. (My kids are older btw, and the cabinets and all the wood trim in the house was white when we moved in.) It does help brighten up the place in the winter.

I agree with painting them a nice new color. But my cabinets are white, and I absolutely hate the color!!!

I'm constantly wiping them down. The kids are always spilling things down them. I have 3 kids and not enough energy either to constantly be wiping them down every single day. So I have to schedule a weekly cleaning of them.

They drive me CRAZY!!! If this wasn't a rental, I would either be replacing them, or repainting them!!

Go with another color and save your sanity!! (Just my 2 cents)

My recommendation would not be white. I think a color to the paint would be better - blue, red, yellow, green, even gray with a yellow undertone. I could not imagine adding wiping down my cupboards every day to my to-do list.
Hmmm... maybe a light gray will work with yellow.