Menu

What are you using for college prep geometry? more...

I'm interested in these

Chalkdust Geometry

Math U See Geometry

Jacob's Geometry

Ace Geometry

or any other that you have used and has prepared your child well for college maths.

Thank you,

Dee :)

ps my son has already taken Algebra 1 and 2.

My daughter used Jacobs' Geometry (2nd edition) and subsequently went on to do well in College Algebra and Trigonometry (using Sullivan's PreCalculus text at the community college) and PA Homeschooler's AP Statistics class and subsequently the AP exam.

Regards,

Kareni

Okay, I'm off to research Art of Problem Solving and Jacob's Geometry. Thanks!!!

Anyone else? Has anyone used MUS geometry? or any other geometry? I had a daughter use the Key to's, but it is just a general course, not an in-depth course. I think he needs something meaty and possibly challenging. He loves math.

Thank you and please keep them coming!

Dee

ps he finishes his program by the end of this week, so I need to order a geometry program soon.

for both dd and ds. Last year my dd was a junior in high school attending a CC as a dual enrolled student. As an honor student, she took an honor's level math course. She was currently enrolled in Calc I at the cc at the time in addition to this honor's class. The other students were all at least taking Calc II, so she was a bit nervous going in, knowing she was behind the eight ball from the get go.

During the semester, the prof. jumped into proofs. My dd was the only student in the class who had any experience doing proofs. The other "more advanced" students didn't have a clue and, in fact, had never learned about proofs.

The prof. was actually amazed my dd knew how to do proofs and did them well enough to have her teach her classmates how to do them. She ended up copying a couple of pages from TT and giving them to her classmates. The prof. was impressed enough to recommend the school hiring her as a tutor in the student center and, later, for a "roaming tutor" program he developed.

I know some of the other programs are seen as more "rigorous." In fact, we tried Jacob's before switching to TT (my dd hated Jacob's and it left her in tears). My dd is good at math (she's taking Calc III this semester at the cc), but sometimes rigorous isn't the option that fits your dc. Find out what program your dc will actually learn from and use that one.

• 4 months later...
We're using Discovering Geometry by Key Curriculum Press.

We use Discovering Geometry this year and enjoyed it. It's more hands-on than most Geometry programs.

Can a pretty intelligent 10th grader work through Discovering Geometry by Key Curriculum Press on their own, with the teacher's guide?

Anyone done this?

Yes, ds worked through DG mostly on his own. We check his work together, because access to the TM is way too tempting for him. :tongue_smilie: They also offer a very nice solutions manual

DD will be finishing MUS Geometry in a few weeks. She's liked it fairly well but I wouldn't say that it has been very challenging for her. The Honors pages have included more to make her really need to think.

This program is not heavy in proofs, if that is important to you. Proofs are a great way for students to learn logic, IMHO. DD is strong in logic skills so that wasn't as important for us to emphasize.

Pegasus

Can a pretty intelligent 10th grader work through Discovering Geometry by Key Curriculum Press on their own, with the teacher's guide?He

Anyone done this?

Thanks!

I have taught Discovering Geometry (3rd edition) for five years now. A motivated 10th grader could probably do most of the work by himself. You will need the teacher's edition, as the text has blanks to fill in for the conjectures. Also, remember that grading of proofs can be tricky, because there may be more than one way to get from the givens to the prove statement.

If you decide to go this route, you might want to check with the publisher to see whether they will grant you access to the teacher's resources online. I have access because I teach at a co-op, but I believe they gave access to a friend when she was teaching just one son at home. The teacher's resources may be purchased on a CD if you can't get online access. I find them quite useful.

I have taught Discovering Geometry (3rd edition) for five years now. A motivated 10th grader could probably do most of the work by himself. You will need the teacher's edition, as the text has blanks to fill in for the conjectures. Also, remember that grading of proofs can be tricky, because there may be more than one way to get from the givens to the prove statement.

If you decide to go this route, you might want to check with the publisher to see whether they will grant you access to the teacher's resources online. I have access because I teach at a co-op, but I believe they gave access to a friend when she was teaching just one son at home. The teacher's resources may be purchased on a CD if you can't get online access. I find them quite useful.

Would you say Discovering Geometry is rigorous? How does it compare to Jacobs or any other common home-school geometry curriculum?

Thank you!

Would you say Discovering Geometry is rigorous? How does it compare to Jacobs or any other common home-school geometry curriculum?

I would not consider it as rigorous as Jacob's. Jacob's is proof heavy. DG is proof lite. The last of 13 chapters in DG is devoted to proofs. They are introduced gently before then.

FWIW, I have a degree in math and computer science and work as a programmer. Geometry was the only math class I hated and it was due to proofs. I don't know if that makes any sense since I am logical almost to a fault, but it's the truth. We attempted to use Jacob's Geometry this year, but quickly realized that neither of us could hack it. Ds didn't understand it, and I had a hard time with it as well. People say Jacob's is wordy. I'd agree. We like clear and concise here. Discovering Geometry was much easier to use. Because of my dislike of Geometry, I was willing to use something less rigorous.

I'm no expert, but I'd say DG is less rigorous than Jacob's, Chalkdust, and AoPS and more rigorous than MUS and TT.

HTH!

for both dd and ds. Last year my dd was a junior in high school attending a CC as a dual enrolled student. As an honor student' date=' she took an honor's level math course. She was currently enrolled in Calc I at the cc at the time in addition to this honor's class. The other students were all at least taking Calc II, so she was a bit nervous going in, knowing she was behind the eight ball from the get go.

During the semester, the prof. jumped into proofs. My dd was the only student in the class who had any experience doing proofs. The other "more advanced" students didn't have a clue and, in fact, had [i']never[/i] learned about proofs.

The prof. was actually amazed my dd knew how to do proofs and did them well enough to have her teach her classmates how to do them. She ended up copying a couple of pages from TT and giving them to her classmates. The prof. was impressed enough to recommend the school hiring her as a tutor in the student center and, later, for a "roaming tutor" program he developed.

I know some of the other programs are seen as more "rigorous." In fact, we tried Jacob's before switching to TT (my dd hated Jacob's and it left her in tears). My dd is good at math (she's taking Calc III this semester at the cc), but sometimes rigorous isn't the option that fits your dc. Find out what program your dc will actually learn from and use that one.

Thanks for this. :)