Menu

Knit-people....

Oh, it IS overwhelming! :001_smile:

They've improved the search feature, however, so you can really narrow your searches. If you're a member, friend me and I"ll do some hunting around for you. My screen name there is "astridrobi." If you tell me yours I can send you some possibilities so you can check them out there, and see how the projects have turned out for other Ravelers.

astrid

Seconding Astrid idea of using Ravelry. It really IS easier to navigate these days. In your pattern searches you can specify that you are only interested in knitted patterns and/or patterns with pictures and/or free patterns and/or certain weights of yarn. You can even decide difficulty level of the pattern.

I'd bet that there's a group there dedicated to knitting soakers, so you could hang out with them (in an online sort of way) to get more advice. Groups make the site less overwhelming for me -- I belong to the WellTrainedMind group, a couple of groups about knitting cables, a Star Trek group, a Studio Ghibli group, etc.

I'm GailV on Ravelry. Hope to see you there!

Okay, I couldn't resist unleashing my inner librarian and doing a super-quick search for you. I got on Ravelry, selected "groups", typed "soakers" into the search field, and got several groups with hundreds of members. So, next step could be to start browsing through their forum discussions and looking at pictures of stuff they've made.

You don't need to join a group to browse through their forum, by the way.

Ladies, you are so sweet. I am already overwhelmed. Why don't I have an IRL knitting girl friend?? That's how I began knitting way back in hs and now I am just feeling overwhelmed and frustrated because I *want* to do the projects, can knit etc., but have forgotten the tinkering with projects plus reading the instructions in my non-native language is a 'hole other headache....

Just feeling frustrated.

I am Osmosis Mom there. Please do befriend me, gals!! (insert pathetic laughter here...).

Okay, I couldn't resist unleashing my inner librarian and doing a super-quick search for you. I got on Ravelry, selected "groups", typed "soakers" into the search field, and got several groups with hundreds of members. So, next step could be to start browsing through their forum discussions and looking at pictures of stuff they've made.

You don't need to join a group to browse through their forum, by the way.

OK, OK, I am seeing the light. Geez, ladies. BTW, I now have TWO knitting friends, hehe (Gail and Astrid, you don't even know!!).

Ladies, you are so sweet. I am already overwhelmed. Why don't I have an IRL knitting girl friend?? That's how I began knitting way back in hs and now I am just feeling overwhelmed and frustrated because I *want* to do the projects, can knit etc., but have forgotten the tinkering with projects plus reading the instructions in my non-native language is a 'hole other headache....

Just feeling frustrated.

I am Osmosis Mom there. Please do befriend me, gals!! (insert pathetic laughter here...).

I"ll friend you, Osmosis Mom! And where do you live in New England? My FAVORITE place to buy yarn, HANDS DOWN, is at Webs in Northampton, MA. We go there often, and it's really a wonderful store-- discounts, great salespeople, SO HELPFUL. And HUGE! :-) With an entire back room full of closeouts! http://www.yarn.com is the website, but it's much more fun to go browse in person.

astrid

Do you want to knit longies? or just soakers? both? Diaperswappers Craft Chat has a great craft chat forum will lots of links to easy longie/soaker patterns. Go to the "Knitting tips, links and other useful info" thread - it's stickied in red - and it should be VERY useful.

It lists several different patterns (I've used the Sheepy Pants pattern and the Little Turtle Knits Perfection Pants) as well as good places to buy yarn online, AND will explain the different types of yarn and how much you will need, etc.

Hope that helps and come back and show us what you knit up!!

I tried to search for you on Ravelry but I couldn't find you? I have the same name there as I do here.

Edited by Mothersweets

Laura,

I have just begun frequenting Diaperswappers, but had not seen the place you mentioned. Cool, I'll check it out possibly tonight. I feel so incompetent, coming from families with highly proficient knitters and I am such a goose.!

Astrid, I am in NH, just over the border from MA. I don't think I'll be going to Northampton, but thanks for the suggestion. Laura gave me a few leads plus I'll check out your website. I had been looking at knitpicks.com and was not very impressed with their selection.

I will also vote for Ravelry. It is totally overwhelming, but a great knitting resource!

Best of luck. I hope to get more knitting done this year!

:iagree:I get lost in searches sometimes and find all kinds of fun stuff. Be sure to use your favorites or queues so you don't "lose" any patterns along the way.

I also agree that Knit Picks is the place to shop for yarn CANNOT beat their prices. For wool though, I love Cascade 220.

I'm JameeKnits @ Ravelry

I had Lil'un in woolies at 18mo and loved them! They are a joy!

My favorite pattern was the Sheepy Pants from Sheepy Time Knits. They were versatile for all different ages and sizes, and the instructions were super clear and instructive :tongue_smilie:. I probably knit 15 of those in the end for Lil'un and her friends.

If you're going to use them as diaper covers then you won't want a superwash wool, but if they're just going to be pants then you can choose any yarn you want! My favorite yarn for diaper-cover style woolies was Malabrigo -- not the cheapest yarn out there, but definitely one of the softest!

And have fun on Ravelry... I'm on there as knitabel.

:)

Kirsten,

I actually "understood" what you said!! I already read as much that I knew Superwash would not be for longies. Gosh, am I goooood.

I did find the Eviepants, but will check out Sheepy Time and Little Turtle before picking the pattern.

:D

BTW, did anyone try making pants out of a discarded woolen shirt? Like felting the shirt and cutting off the big part and adjusting the "waist-line" etc.?? Looks totally cool and fun!

BTW, did anyone try making pants out of a discarded woolen shirt? Like felting the shirt and cutting off the big part and adjusting the "waist-line" etc.?? Looks totally cool and fun!

I didn't do it myself, but a friend did a whole bunch for her daughter and we got some of the hand-me-downs. Some of them were really, really cute! They were generally thinner than my handknit longies, but still really nice and usable.

:)

Hmmm, and where is your preferred place to buy nice wool? We do have a local store, but I don't really care for the people who work there so online might be better.

What is up with that? We have a LYS in our town and the lady is just plain unfriendly. I drive another town over (30 minutes) to the LYS there to buy yarn. But yes, I have to buy online sometimes too. I just do a search for the yarn I am looking for and buy it from whichever store offers it cheaper and with the cheapest shipping.