Menu

HELP! I need GROUND BEEF recipes

So groceries here are brutally expensive. About the only "proteins" we can afford are ground beef and chicken. Everything else is so expensive that it really has to be a special occasion kind of thing (any kind of pork product is too expensive and steak? yeah, right).

So I buy a lot of ground beef and chicken but I am running out of ideas for meals....

I need your favorite ground beef recipes (later I will do one for chicken :tongue_smilie:).

Please? Pretty please? My kids will eat anything...not picky at all so bring it. :D

Tater Tot Casserole -

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 (32 ounce) package tater tots
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the onions. Drain excess fat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Spread the beef mixture evenly over the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Arrange tater tots evenly over beef layer. In a small bowl, stir the soup into the milk until smooth; pour over tater tot and beef layers. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown.

We eat mostly ground beef and chicken also, because of the cost.

Ground beef dishes:

Shepherd's pie

Spag. and meatballs

Beef enchiladas

Tacos

Meat Pie ( the canadian kind with ground beef instead of pork)

Meatloaf

Mini meatloafs

Spanish rice

Shoney's hamburger and cabbage soup

Chili

Homemade hamburger helper

"Swedish" meatballs

Sloppy Joes

Hamburgers

Salisbury Steak

Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Cabbage rolls

American Chop Suey

If you want a recipe for any of these let me know.

Edited by Onceuponatime

Things I do with ground meat:

Tacos - I use a package of McCormick taco seasoning mix but don't know that you can get that there. You could make your own seasoning using a variety of peppers and/or a bottled salsa add in. Or, if no salsa available, make your own with tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers (cilantro?), or whatever you can find. We serve them with soft or crunchy shells (or you can wrap them in lettuce leaves) with cheese, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, and shredded lettuce.

Chili - again, I use a packaged seasoning mix, but you could add in your own seasonings to taste. Tomato sauce or paste is the main background ingredient. My guys go through phases where they want more or less beans in the mix. I brown the ground meat with onions before adding it to the tomato mixture.

Spaghetti - I either crumble and brown the meat and add it to the sauce or make meatballs. I tend to start with a pre-seasoned sauce and then doctor it, but you could just as easily start with plain tomato sauce. I add parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, garlic (I'd put in onion, too, if starting with a basic tomato sauce), and lots of parmesan cheese (just the powdered kind is fine).

Sloppy Joes - this you could also make using just a tomato sauce that you doctor up youself. I'd add garlic, molasses or brown sugar, maybe even a little bbq sauce if available, Worchestershire, and onions.

Here's a hamburger stroganoff that has good flavor:

12 ounces of egg (or other) noodles

1 pound ground beef (extra lean or drain well)

1 large onion (for one cup chopped)

1 tsp minced garlic

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

9 ounces green beans - french style is best

1/4 cup dry sherry

1 tbsp. ketchup

2tsp Dijon mustard (can leave out or use less)

1 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce

1/2 tsp paprika

1 can cream of mushroom soup

2/3 cup sour cream (you can leave this out or use more - I've used a whole 8 oz container before, but then you need another can of soup)

salt and pepper to taste

Cook noodles 5 minutes.

Begin browning meat while pasta is cooking, adding in onion as you cook, then garlic and mushrooms.

Once the meat is browned, add the green beans to the pasta pot to cook them while finishing up the pasta for about 5 minutes more.

Add the sherry, ketchup, mustard, Worchestershire, paprika and mushroom soup to the meat skillet. Stir well to incorporate. Lower the heat to simmer the mixture. Add the sour cream for the last minute of cooking, stirring well to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper.

Drain the noodles and green beans. Toss to distribute the beans evenly throughout. Place some on each serving plate and top with the meat/sauce mixture.

We also do hamburger steaks with various types of sauces, from an Italian style (similar to a spaghetti sauce), to the more traditional mushroom gravy, to a cream sauce seasoned with Worchestershire.

We like making tacos, stuffed peppers, meatloaf, spaghetti with meatballs (or just meat sauce) and/or hamburgers.

But here's a recipe I tore out of a Family Fun Magazine in May, 2009 and made a couple of times- my whole family really loved it!

Stacked Burrito Pie

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

3/4 lb lean ground beef

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup water

1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels

4 (10 inch) flour tortillas

1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup salsa

8 ounces cheddar or monterey jack, grated

Step 1: In large skillet over medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and saute another minute.

Step 2: Increase the heat to medium, then add the ground beef, chili powder, and cumin. Cook the mixture until the beef is browned and no longer pink, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add the salt, water, black beans, and corn, and bring the mixture to a boil. Allow it to continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates, about 20 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.

Step 3: Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a 9 inch round cake pan, trim 3 of your tortillas to the size of the pan. Leave the fourth tortilla untrimmed.

Step 4: Butter the bottom and the sides of the pan. Press the untrimmed tortilla evenly into the pan's bottom. Spread 2 tablespoons of the sour cream over the tortilla, followed by 1/4 cup of the salsa. Spoon and spread a quarter of the beef mixture over the salsa, then sprinkle a quarter of the grated cheese evenly over the top.

Step 5: Place one of the trimmed tortillas on top of the cheese, then repeat the layering of the sour cream, salsa, beef, and cheese. Continue this way until the ingredients and tortillas are used up. You should end up with four layers, topped with the final sprinkling of cheese.

Step 6: Bake the pie until heated through, about 30 minutes. Allow it to cool 10 minutes, then slice the pie into wedges (or serve like you would a lasagna).

Serves 10.

Enjoy, it is REALLY delicious! :)

P.S. We were in a Friendly's restaurant the other day and I tried their "bacon cheeseburger soup" and it was yummy, maybe you can look up a recipe for that :D

Edited by NanceXToo

One of my kids favorites:

1 onion chopped

2-3 cloves garlic minced

1 lb ground beef

Italian seasoning

chicken pr vegetable stock

Any vegetables I have on hand- I usually have carrots, celery, peas, and peppers-chopped

Macaroni noodles or egg noodles-cooked

Saute the onion and garlic and ground beef. Add the veggies, add the stock. Add the noodles. Add more stock as needed.

We eat a lot of ground beef as well. Others have mentioned most of the recipes I make, but here's a handy hint I've found very helpful.

*When you find ground beef on sale, brown it in a frypan, drain & freeze in bags of 3 cups browned beef. 3 cups cooked = ~ 1 pound. When I want to make chili-con-carne, tacos, shepherd's pie, etc. take a bag of browned beef from the freezer, put in the microwave for 5 minutes on high, add to the recipe you're making. This hint has allowed me to have homemade "fast food" in the freezer without being tied to certain recipes. Draining the meat before freezing gets rid of most of the fat, leaving just enough for flavour.

I do the same for whole chickens when they are on sale. Cook overnight in the crockpot. Remove meat & debone when cool enough to touch. Freeze the drippings for stock. Freeze the deboned meat in 2-3 cup lots for use in a variety of recipes.

HTH,

We eat a lot of ground beef as well. Others have mentioned most of the recipes I make, but here's a handy hint I've found very helpful.

*When you find ground beef on sale, brown it in a frypan, drain & freeze in bags of 3 cups browned beef. 3 cups cooked = ~ 1 pound.

HTH,

I do the same thing, it saves tons of time. I go to allrecipes and type in ground beef and pick something new from there.

We do enchiladas (with either gr. beef OR chicken) made the same way for each:

Brown the beef (boil or bake chicken and cube)

Place in fry pan (electric or stove top) with finely chopped onion and a small can of green chilies. Cook a bit.

Add 1 can of cr. of chicken soup and about 1/2 a carton (about 8 oz) of sour cream. Mix & remove from heat. Stir in a handful of shredded cheddar or co-jack cheese. Stir.

Fill 6-8 tortillas with mixture & lay seam side down in a greased baking dish.

There will be extra filling. When all tortillas are filled, add about 3/4 c. milk to filling and stir. Pour over tortillas and top with more shredded cheese.

Bake at $350 for about 30 min.

Serve with chips.

Enjoy :)

We get tired of hamburgers on the grill so sometimes I'll go to epicurious.com and look for fancier versions. We like these jalapeno cheeseburgers without the jalapeno, grilled onions, and bacon. It's a really flavorful burger.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Jalapeno-Cheeseburgers-with-Bacon-and-Grilled-Onions-232193

Cheeseburger Soup

2 tablespoons onion, chopped

½ cup shredded carrots (I pulverize in food processor)

½ cup diced celery (optional)

½ teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

4 tablespoons butter or margarine

3 cups chicken broth

2 cups diced peeled potatoes

½ pound hamburger, browned & drained

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

10 ounces processed American cheese, torn into pieces

1 ½ cups milk

1/8 teaspoon pepper

¼ cup sour cream (optional)

Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about ten minutes. Add broth, potatoes, and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes just start to get tender. While soup is simmering, tear or cube cheese into smaller pieces and set aside. Pour milk into a bowl and whisk in flour, stirring to remove any lumps. When simmering is complete, stir flour-milk mixture into soup. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and pepper, stirring frequently until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.

Note: I usually double this recipe so we have leftovers. I also often wing it on the amounts of carrots, potatoes and cheese.

We love hamburger stew this time of year. There really isn't a recipe, but here's what I do:

I brown about a pound of ground beef and throw in some chopped onions to get a little color on them while the beef is cooking. I'll usually sprinkle some salt, pepper, and garlic powder on it too. Then, after it's browned, I put it in a big stew pot with two cans of tomato sauce. Then I'll add some chopped carrots and cubed potatoes. I then season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a splash of kitchen bouquet. If I don't have any kitchen bouquet I'll add a splash of worchestershire sauce. Then I'll add some water -- just enough to thin it out a little, so how much I add depends on how many carrots and potatoes I've added. Then I let it simmer for a couple of hours. About a half hour before dinner I'll throw in a few handfuls of frozen corn.

It's really good with homemade bread. It's also yummy leftover.

I brown ground beef if ~ 1/2 lbs batches for my family and add it to just about anything.

DD loves seasoned ground beef, bowtie pasta, and plain yogurt all mixed together. It's our go-to meal when she's being ultra picky.

I also add it to seasoned green beans, peas, spinach. Each is made in essentially the same way:

Saute an onion in veg oil

Add chopped tomato, pepper paste, sometimes tomato paste, salt, pepper

Add vegetable (snapped green beans, shelled green peas, or chopped spinach)

Add water, simmer until vegetable is cooked

Add ground beef either while veg is cooking or heat separately and add when serving (what I do since often DH is feeling vegetarian and I'm not)

I also make kofte - Turkish meatballs - essentially ground beef with an egg, a bunch of chopped parsley, a chopped onion, and cumin, salt, and pepper to taste (for us, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ea salt & pepper). Add enough bread crumbs to hold the meat patties together (they're really mini hamburgers, not meatballs per se) and pan fry or broil in the oven.

We love ground beef with Greek seasoning!

I make sandwiches like gyros with them - with cucumbers in a yogurt sauce and feta cheese and tomatoes.

Or we make small Greek pizzas on pita or some other kind of flatbread.

I also like ground beef with cajun or blackening seasoning for a change or pace.

Do your kids eat meatloaf?