Menu

Who here is into photography??

BMW

I am finding that I am just on the edge, looking in on something grand...

I have been reading about aperture and lighting and etc. As soon as I think I know something, there is so much more that I don't know...

At least that doesn't frustrate me! I find it amazing.

What cameras do you have? What are your favorite lenses? Do you have a "lower end" VERY NICE camera?

Dh just got me a Canon rebel. It's the lower end of what I was wanting and I want to do the best that I can with it. I will definitely have to purchase some lenses to get it to do more than what it currently does...

I like nature pictures just fine, but my heart is my children and pets. It was recommended today that I get a 50 lens that goes down to 1.5 aperture. You cannot zoom with it, but it gives you that gorgeous baby and child picture with the blurry background... What do you think?

Do lenses for Canon 40D, 50D, etc. work on Canon rebel cameras?

Please share! Thanks:)

I have a Nikon D90 that works well. I love the kit lens for general use because I love having the zoom capacity (18-105), but I love my fast 50 for portraits. It is true that you get great light and awesome blur. :) I enjoy the artistic side of photography, but the technical aspects make my head swim. I just don't have that much brain power right at the moment. :) And kids are my favorite subjects, because you can capture them being themselves and doing kid stuff. I really dislike posing adults (recently did a photo session with *9* adults and 2 kids...bleh!), though highschool seniors can be fun.

I am a Nikon person through and through. The 2 cameras I use most now are a D90 (DSLR) and a Coolpix L11. I started out with a fully manual film Nikon that used to be my dad's and I have and N70 and an N90 that are both film cameras. (I hated digital until I got my Mac. I couldn't find software that I could tolerate for a pc, but I love iPhoto.

I do believe, however, that if the photographer is good that they should be able to get good pictures with most brands of cameras.

I have tons of lenses that are interchangeable between the film and digital cameras. I mostly use 2 zoom lenses that allow me to have a zoom range from 30mm to 300mm. The wide F stops are really nice, but they do tend to be expensive.

Read a little bit on framing pictures. People say that I have an eye for taking pictures, but mostly it comes from reading some and taking lots of pictures.

Funny thing is I took my dd to Sears to get pictures and I learned a lot about posing babies. I had always done nature, or candids of mostly adults. I have done a wedding or 2 as well but that was very different from babies.

You can also get some pretty neat filters.

I have a Canon Rebel xti which is = to a 40D, I think. I like it well enough for what I do. I have a 28-135mm with IS that I use most of the time. I also love my 50mm, it never lets me down in low light. There are so many lens'(?) I would love to have but, don't have the money for. I think the next thing I want are some lensbabies:D just 'cause. Then there's photo editing software:tongue_smilie: don't even get me started on that :D

I have a Canon Rebel xti which is = to a 40D, I think. I like it well enough for what I do. I have a 28-135mm with IS that I use most of the time. I also love my 50mm, it never lets me down in low light. There are so many lens'(?) I would love to have but, don't have the money for. I think the next thing I want are some lensbabies:D just 'cause. Then there's photo editing software:tongue_smilie: don't even get me started on that :D

40D is a step up from the rebels

I like nature pictures just fine, but my heart is my children and pets. It was recommended today that I get a 50 lens that goes down to 1.5 aperture. You cannot zoom with it, but it gives you that gorgeous baby and child picture with the blurry background... What do you think?

Do lenses for Canon 40D, 50D, etc. work on Canon rebel cameras?

Please share! Thanks:)

Yes, the lenses for a 40D etc will work with the rebel. I have a 40D, but there are some things that the new rebels do that my 40D doesn't. There are some things that my 40D does that the rebels don't. It is just a matter of what type of shooting you plan to do.

I think the lens the person was recommending was the 50mm 1.8. It was one of the first lenses that I bought. For the price it is a nice lens. I have several lenses. My current favorite lens for taking pictures of my kids is my 85mm 1.8.

Jan

I love taking photos when I have the time. I also really love good equipment, so my camera is better than I am -- a Nikon D700. Before that I had a Canon film SLR and a couple of Contax film cameras; actually I still have them as I can't bear to part with them.

A digital camera is a fantastic learning tool, because you can change around aperture, ISO, etc and see the effect immediately. If you think you might want to photograph flowers or bugs in the yard, look for a lens with macro capability. A zoom lens gives you a lot of flexibility, with a trade-off in size and sometimes picture quality. When I was using Canon, I often used a 70-200mm "L" lens that was very nice and a great deal for the quality. The zoom is fun, but I usually prefer to buy prime (fixed focal length) lenses, like the 50mm you mentioned. You can get a "faster" (wider aperture) lens that way, which helps with low-light shooting and background blur. The background blur is technically called "bokeh" and each lens has it's own signature look. 50mm is a good focal length for portraits on a Rebel, as the "crop factor" will make it act more like 75mm does on a film camera.

OK, probably too much info :001_smile:. Enjoy your camera!

Thanks, Kebo! That is not too much info. at all!! I am known now as the crazy one who wakes up at 4:30am thinking about aperture! Not all of what you said makes sense to me, but a good bit does... like I said, I am on the outside, looking it with eyes full of wonder!!! Thanks for the "bokeh" word! I'll use it!! But... how is it pronounced?? :lol:

I take pictures. Some even call me a photographer. ;)

I have a Nikon D200 that I love. I would like to upgrade to a D300, but it's not in the budget right now. I have my kit lens which is a 55-200mm. I *used* to own a 50mm 1.8, but my husband lost it when he was supposed to be holding it for me on a shoot. I need to replace it. I'm not 100% sure what I will replace it with, but I think I will just go ahead and get the same lens again. I loved it!

I don't know a thing about Canon cameras. Sorry I can't help, but if you have any other questions, I would love to help. My photography website is linked in my sig.

Have fun!!!

So many great replies, and so many fellow "photogs" here on WTM! I also have a huge love for photography and have a Nikon D90 as well. Love the Nikon!! I love prime lenses that are fast... have a 35mm and 85mm that I use all the time. Once you get the hang of "being the zoom" instead of your lens zooming it is wonderful! I have a photography biz as well that I finally started a little over a year ago after doing a ton of shoots for friends and family, and it has been so wonderful to turn my "passion" into a business. I love the whole process and learn something new every time I pick up my camera. My best advice is to carry your camera with you everywhere and soon it will all start coming together for you... just have fun and start shooting!! (If you want to check my blog/site out it's at www.bjorkphoto.com)

OH! New question!!

I heard that cameras are good for about 70,000 shots. Then it will just not work so good anymore... things go wrong with it, etc.

Anyone have an opinion on that? I probably shouldn't be worried about WHEN I read 70,000 shots... right? lol But, now I am concerned... How long WILL my camera last?

Thanks for the "bokeh" word! I'll use it!! But... how is it pronounced?? :lol:

Well, I try to avoid pronouncing it, except to my husband :lol:. I have read that it is pronouced like bow-keh with equal stress on each syllable, or sometimes like bow-kuh. I only mentioned it because you might come across it in your reading, and it might throw you (like it did to me when I first read it).

If you are a glutton for information (like I am when I get into something new), you might want to check out photo.net. I read that forum like crazy when I was first learning about photography. It has a ton of information -- it's easy to get bogged down! But, you can read the tutorials to start and move on from there. Be aware you will start lusting for expensive equipment, though.

Or for something more accessible, Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books are often recommended.

Yes, I've already been bitten by the "I want better equipment" bug... but, I'll have to learn the capabilities of what I have and use it to the max. We just lost $900 a month income. No new upgrades here. I'm already thinking that it'll take weeks of raiding pockets of pants in the laundry to stick aside quarters and dimes... and stashing them away with a dollar here or there to get money for the less expensive 50mm1.8. :) Thanks for the reading recommendations! I think I'll probably continue waking up in the wee hours of the morning to learn more...

Yes, I've already been bitten by the "I want better equipment" bug... but, I'll have to learn the capabilities of what I have and use it to the max. We just lost $900 a month income. No new upgrades here. I'm already thinking that it'll take weeks of raiding pockets of pants in the laundry to stick aside quarters and dimes... and stashing them away with a dollar here or there to get money for the less expensive 50mm1.8. :) Thanks for the reading recommendations! I think I'll probably continue waking up in the wee hours of the morning to learn more...

Anyone can buy a big expensive camera, but not everyone can take photographs that really work and speak to people. I was given great advice when I first started. And that was don't buy new equipment until you have mastered what you have and are starting to be held back by it. I started with a Kodak Easyshare, and then upgraded to a Nikon D40 because I wanted a DSLR. When I wanted a new lens that the D40 couldn't autofocus, I sold it, and bought the D200. I bought it used. Like I said before, I would like to upgrade my camera, but I would rather spend my money on a new lens. So I am going to buy the 50mm 1.8 with my Christmas money and then save for another one. I love the prime lenses.

Check out kenrockwell.com I don't agree with everything he says, but he does have a ton of camera and lens reviews on there that are helpful.

Can you tell I'm excited about photography???? :)

I'm also into photography, I just started my business in June (http://carajouglardphotography.com - if anyone wants to check it out).

I have a D90 and a 35mm 1.8 lens. My next lens is going to be the 85 mm.

I had a 50 1.8 with my Sony camera before I got my D90 and I think I like my 35 better, but the 50 1.8 is a nice lens on any camera and it's fairly cheap.

I love photography, I'm so happy that I got to turn my passion into a career / business that still allows me to homeschool my children.

I have had a part-time portrait photography business for a few years now. I shoot with a Canon 30D and 50D, and my favorite lens is the 50mm 1.4. I also love my 85mm 1.8 lens.

I love learning new things about photography, and I enjoy doing photoshoots for others, but sometimes I find it difficult to balance everything with homeschooling.

Lynne

Have you read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure book? If not, it's the FIRST thing I would suggest you do. A good cheap lens you can start to play with is the 50mm 1.8. A very good beginner lens and usually around $100. Try Amazon. But seriously, read the book. You might need to read it several times. It will teach you a lot. There are tons of online message boards and sites that you can learn from. That's the best spot to begin.

I started seriously learning photography three years ago. Hard to believe it's only been three years. I'd always been interested in it, but never thought I could do it. I loved it so much that I took it really seriously and did a lot of training, workshops, etc. Then I opened my own business. Unfortunately I found that having a business took ALL the joy out of it for me, and suddenly became a form of serious stress! Plus I realized that I personally couldn't have a business AND homeschool, and I chose homeschooling. All that to say that you CAN learn if you put your mind to it! Like I said, I've only been doing it for three years, but because I was so seriously in LOVE with photography that I practically gave up everything else that first year. I still have my blog that I haven't updated in a long time but you can see some of my pictures there - http://www.tammywahl.com/blog

Enjoy your new toy and have lots of fun!

ETA: Regarding lenses, it's definitely a good idea to just get REALLY comfortable with your camera before you start buying a bunch of lenses. Plus the better you get, the more you might want better lenses, better body, etc. I say stick with a 50mm 1.8 and become an expert at it. My good friend is an amazing professional and she uses her 50mm 1.4 pretty much exclusively! It's a great way to learn.

I have a Canon Rebel too, and it's been great for me. I know there are bigger and better out there, and someday when I've mastered my Rebel I'll probably want to upgrade, but for now I still have plenty to learn. I finally switched over to manual shooting about two months ago, and bought the 50mm 1.8. Both things have made me much happier with my pictures! Here is a recent one of my 8yo that I love:

post-1206-13535084253315_thumb.jpg

post-1206-13535084253315_thumb.jpg

Have you read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure book? If not, it's the FIRST thing I would suggest you do. A good cheap lens you can start to play with is the 50mm 1.8. A very good beginner lens and usually around $100. Try Amazon. But seriously, read the book. You might need to read it several times. It will teach you a lot. There are tons of online message boards and sites that you can learn from. That's the best spot to begin.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Best book EVER for learning photography! I love all of his stuff.

When it comes to equipment, you're better off (IMHO) buying a Rebel and spending the difference on good lenses than buying the next camera up. That said, I've had my Rebel for almost 3 years and am definitely ready for the 7D...unfortunately $2000 cameras don't grow on trees. :P It'll take a while before you "need" a better camera than the Rebel if you're just learning. The 50/1.8 will serve you well--mine lasted about a year and then fell apart after I dropped it, at that point I upgraded to a 50/1.4. It was $300 and it lives on my camera. I rented a wide angle lens to shoot a wedding and had a blast playing with it! I also have the kit lens and a similar quality longer lens. I only use those when I have to. You can get really good bokeh with a high quality long lens (and with fewer depth of field issues), but those are way more expensive than the 50mm lenses. If you're shooting "wide open", it is often a VERY small part of the photo that is in focus...if you're shooting "moving objects" it can be difficult to get a good photo that way. So use it wisely!

Edited by Rosy