Menu

Can I just cry a bit here . . .

I'm been crying today at home and somehow I need to share the reason for my tears with this special needs board. My 15 yo DS has learning challenges. Math is a struggle for him. We're doing pre-algebra through a co-op and I help him at home. Today he took an at home test of only 15 problems on solving for an unknown, adding and subtracting with negative and positive numbers, and equations with an absolute value sign. He only got 6 out of of the 15 correct.

I guess what upsets me is he has a dream of being a video game designer. I talked with someone at a college fair who said that to follow that path he need to be at least at the pre-calculus level in math and submit an art portfolio to enter their program. With math a weak area and art not much better, I don't see how he is going to get there.

He really needs to want to step it up to learn this stuff. Instead I usually get, "What do I need to do to be done with school today?"

I so was looking forward to starting our Christmas vacation with a good feeling of accomplishment, but instead I feel like I'm failing him.

You certainly can cry a bit here! :grouphug: Where there is a will, there's a way. What math program are you using? It sounds to me like Teaching Textbooks would be a good fit for him. I find their explanations very thorough and my dd retains what she's learned. Perhaps a switch in math would suit him? Try not to get discouraged. It may have been a bad math day for him when he took that test, I think we've all had those days. I truly believe that no matter what you're doing, the 1-on-1 teaching homeschool provides is much better than what he'd be getting in school. Perhaps more 1-on-1 at home would complement the co-op setting. No shame in working through it with him, parrallel to what the co-op is doing. Try to be easier on yourself and enjoy Christmas. You're not failing him, and I know this because you are aware of the difficulties. Now it's time to try to accommodate his needs and find some way to help him learn the material and retain it. Hugs to you. :grouphug:

That's so hard. I've BTDT with my son. We finally had him tested and he fits the Stealth Dyslexia diagnosis. Math is his hardest subject as well. But he aspires to be a chemical engineer. He's a very hands-on learner and doesn't do well with problems with no context. He will need Calculus and possibly Differential Equations. At this time I cannot see that happening. But in the past year he has significantly ramped up his work. We sat down a while back and I showed him the courses he needed in order to get to his desired field. I told him that there were going to be some hoops that he would need to jump through. That seemed to help. He's 16 now and in 10th grade. 8th grade was horrible, 9th was a bit better (he scored a 21 ACT composite that year with math being an 18), and 10th is better still. Maybe it's a combination of maturity and being able to see his future and a willingness to do whatever it takes to get where he wants to go.

I hope this encourages you just a bit. If you haven't had him formally tested, I would recommend it. I had already figured out what I thought the problem was with my son, but it helped me to know that it wasn't anything I was doing that was causing the problem. She also reaffirmed my teaching choices. It helped him to understand that he wasn't dumb, but rather had a special problem that he would need to deal with.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry. I know I have had my heart broken more times than I can count with my dyslexic son.

But, you know, I really do believe he can achieve what he dreams, with hard work and support. Someone here posted an astonishing story of her brother, dyslexic, that failed calculus three times but went on to become a professional of some sort-- I can't remember the details--but maybe an engineer? scientist? Don't give up!

I think it is important to make sure your son has a good diagnosis and accommodations. I know for my dyslexic son if he feels time pressure his math absolutely plummets. Extra time for tests is a very standard accommodation.

It's quite possible that your son can teach himself video game design independently. My 19-year-old has taught himself everything he knows about computers. He blogs about Apple (and he has a number of Apple employees who follow his blog), has been featured in Business Week and interviewed on Fox News, and is now developing an app. He also designs websites and does videography work for pay -- and his earnings this year are quite substantial.

I don't mean to make this post all about my son. My point is that he taught himself most of what he knows, and he apprenticed with a professional filmmaker for several years. He didn't learn any of this in college (his college major has nothing to do with computers). Perhaps your son can go the self-teaching and/or apprenticeship route?

My friend did this too - attended 1 year of college for the experience, but got jobs programming because of his very unique skillset. He's actually taught college classes too! He self-taught himself most everything he knows, and he's one of the few people who can do certain things (dealing with converting games from PC to Mac platforms, I think) so he makes a ton of money when he wants to work, and travels the world when he doesn't want to work. Not a bad life for him. ;) His newest game launches this week.

BTW, he was homeschooled too :)

It's quite possible that your son can teach himself video game design independently. My 19-year-old has taught himself everything he knows about computers. He blogs about Apple (and he has a number of Apple employees who follow his blog), has been featured in Business Week and interviewed on Fox News, and is now developing an app. He also designs websites and does videography work for pay -- and his earnings this year are quite substantial.

I don't mean to make this post all about my son. My point is that he taught himself most of what he knows, and he apprenticed with a professional filmmaker for several years. He didn't learn any of this in college (his college major has nothing to do with computers). Perhaps your son can go the self-teaching and/or apprenticeship route?

I agree.

My dh is a programmer (though not for video games) and did so without a degree.

He started out doing phone support and building machines. Not fun, but there was a manager who everyone hated. Basically he was a jerk to everyone and dh just ignored it. The guy started requesting dh, and then later when he found out that dh wanted to learn be a programmer he gave dh a job. Now it wasn't a fun job, it was with an old system and an old language, but it was a start.

Now he works for a computer company. He has done everything from internet security, to writing web pages, to writing programs and writing devise drivers. He hasn't needed a lot of math.

I did ask him his opinion and he said that the best option is to get a Computer Engineering degree with all the math, but that if you are willing to take a longer approach you can still get there like he did.

Another option is to build a reputation on the web. Companies like Valve allow access to their code design programs, which you can use to make campaigns. They make a new campaign designed by someone outside the company available every week. If you can get a reputation for being a good designer by using their tools and developing campaigns people like, they will higher you as a full on programmer.

Dh did say that the closer you get to the core of the game the more math you will have to know, but there is a lot to be done on edges.

I also agree that it is easier to learn on the job doing it practically. Dh still struggles to remember how to figure percents, but can count in hex, binary and such. These can has learned for work, while percents he just doesn't use much, KWIM?

Just keep swimming...

Heather

I just re-read Sue's original post, and my heart really goes out to her. I want to add something to what I said about my son, the Apple computer expert. Long-time boardies may remember all the anguished posts I made over the years about him when he was 12, 13, 14, 15. "He sits up in his room and daydreams!" "He won't make friends!" "He's indifferent about his schoolwork!" "I'm sending him to private school because I can't DEAL with him anymore!!!" (I followed through on this last threat, and he went to a classical Christian school for his last three years of high school.)

I had no clue that during the time he was up in his room, he was studying computer manuals. No, actually, I knew that, but I considered it more evidence of his nerdiness and totally discounted it. When he became interested in filmmaking at 15, I thought it was another of his obsessions that would pass away eventually. When he re-wired a church sanctuary for a newly-redesigned sound system as his Eagle Scout project, I rolled my eyes. When he helped other homeschool moms fix their computers at no charge, and the moms called me up and thanked me profusely, I secretly thought he had probably ruined the computers and the moms were just being polite. I couldn't imagine what he was going to do with all this technical stuff, and I wished he would just take some AP classes and socialize more, like other kids. (I know this all sounds extremely cynical, but he used to be a very difficult child.)

The point is that my son's path wasn't a straight academic path. His grades weren't always that great, and we still have to get onto him because he spends too much of his time working and not enough time on his college studies. He didn't do all that well in high school math classes. He has to take anti-anxiety meds. Any success he has had has come because he took the things he was passionate about and worked tirelessly to develop his skills, in his spare time. If your son dreams of becoming a video game designer, he should start checking out how-to books from the library and begin making very easy little games for fun. That, more than good grades in math, will give you a clue about how serious he really is about his dream.

Hope this helps in some way. :grouphug:

Thank you so much . . . you are all so caring and supportive of my struggles. I would like to come back later and "talk" some more about this. I'm really behind on getting ready for company staying with us next week, so I'll be back after the Christmas weekend.

I wish you all a loving and joyous time with your families.

Blessings,

Sue

:grouphug: to you. It is very heartbreaking, isn't it? Watching over these special kids, worrying about them. DS14, my dyslexic son, is amazing at baseball. He travels the country enjoying his talent. He went back to ps this year and I cried during the parent-teacher conference, wondering out loud if he'd ever make it to college. Baseball isn't a major. :001_huh: On the other hand, I know he'll be fine. He's a great kid, who has gifts in ways that just don't fit the box. These are the gifts that will fulfill him. Sue, your son will be fine, even if his dreams change and evolve over time. I have no learning disabilities, and I know that my dreams have changed.

:iagree: DS17 is quite similar. For years, dh and I just figured he would go to college for computers, but ds teaches himself everything he needs to know (we're now thinking a liberal arts college might be a great fit). DS makes quite a bit of money! He has taught himself through manuals and practice. He started this in 4th grade. Just like your son, Rebecca, he spent hours in his room. I worried tremendously. Dh assured me that what he was doing was amazing - stuff his own programmers couldn't do. So, Sue, hand your son the tools (books, forums, Unity3D, Blender, attend gaming conventions) to learn now. There is so much he can teach himself now. Colleges want to see these out of the box learning experiences - even more than grades.

Rebecca, your son sounds so similar to mine. Maybe they'd like to get in touch? DS came home for the first time this year and is feeling lonely! ;)

Edited by lisabees

But, you know, I really do believe he can achieve what he dreams, with hard work and support. Someone here posted an astonishing story of her brother, dyslexic, that failed calculus three times but went on to become a professional of some sort-- I can't remember the details--but maybe an engineer? scientist? Don't give up!

That was my brother, who ended up becoming an oral surgeon... a DDS/MD, which means he's both a dentist and a medical doctor.

In high school, a guidance counselor had told my parents that, "He might build bridges, but he'll never design them."

So you really never know! :001_smile:

Edited by sailmom
typos

That was my brother, who ended up becoming an oral surgeon... a DDS/MD, which means he's both a dentist and a medical doctor.

In high school, a guidance counselor had told my parents that, "He might build bridges, but he'll never design them."

So you really never know! :001_smile:

YES!!!! That was YOUR brother! Thanks again for sharing that story, I really do carry these stories that are like little candles of hope for me.

This story has really spoke to my heart today. Can I hug everyone?:grouphug:

I'm dealing with my undiagnosed ADHD who seems to have gaps here and there and can has very low frustration levels at times. No tantrums, but he cries easily and can't be still for long.

To the OP, I understand!! I feel like crying an ocean today! It does help to share, but we must press on for their sake. Praying that all will be better soon and we will be lead to know what to do.

homemama

• 2 weeks later...