Menu

I'm so afraid to kill a kitten! Help Mrs. Mungo!

If you are typing a number or a letter, such as your book size :lol:, do you use an apostrophe? Is it "D's are hard to find" or should it be "Ds are hard to find"? What about when talking about a decade? 1920s or 1920's? What about when writing the abbreviation for private messages? Pms (that sure doesn't look right) or pm's?

HELP!

If you are typing a number or a letter, such as your book size :lol:, do you use an apostrophe? Is it "D's are hard to find" or should it be "Ds are hard to find"? What about when talking about a decade? 1920s or 1920's? What about when writing the abbreviation for private messages? Pms (that sure doesn't look right) or pm's?

HELP!

Honestly? These are style issues, not hard and fast rules. The trend is heading toward eliminating extraneous apostrophes, which is my preference. So, *I* would write 1920s or Ds are hard to find or I'm sending you all PMs. But, you won't kill a kitten either way, both are *technically* correct. :D

Mrs. Mungo, have you noticed the horrific number of kittens dying with the Christmas season? As often as not, Christmas cards are signed: The Smith's, instead of: The Smiths. Oh, the humanity! (the felinity?)

Hehe, could be worse, could be the Jone's family.

Mrs. Mungo, have you noticed the horrific number of kittens dying with the Christmas season? As often as not, Christmas cards are signed: The Smith's, instead of: The Smiths. Oh, the humanity! (the felinity?)

YES! My eldest dd has bitterly complained about the number of such mistakes on the cards of friends, especially those who are teachers (in one case an English teacher for gifted students!!).

Oh yes! I'm not the pro Mrs. Mungo is but I am definitely an observer. This last name abuse just kills me. Something about my last name really pushes people over the edge. I'm a Rush and they just can't bring themselves to write "the Rushes" I guess. :)

Would pluralizing Mungo be the musical rule or standard "o" rule? Mungoes or Mungos? Not an apostrophe question, I know. :)

I got a card like that, one of those preprinted ones. I had to cut the part with the last name off and throw it away. I just couldn't have it in my house.

I also was looking at some festive holiday house slippers at Target, but the tag said "Mary Jane's". I couldn't buy them.

I agree with Mrs. Mungo wholeheartedly about the 1920s, etc.

Oh yes! I'm not the pro Mrs. Mungo is but I am definitely an observer. This last name abuse just kills me. Something about my last name really pushes people over the edge. I'm a Rush and they just can't bring themselves to write "the Rushes" I guess. :)

Would pluralizing Mungo be the musical rule or standard "o" rule? Mungoes or Mungos? Not an apostrophe question, I know. :)

Personally? Our cards say "Merry Christmas from the Mungo family!" I just avoid it altogether. :D eta: I do this is the hope that it will encourage others to do the same. ;)

I got a card like that, one of those preprinted ones. I had to cut the part with the last name off and throw it away. I just couldn't have it in my house.

I also was looking at some festive holiday house slippers at Target, but the tag said "Mary Jane's". I couldn't buy them.

:lol:

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I agree with Mrs. Mungo wholeheartedly about the 1920s, etc.

Mary Jane thanks you. The shoes are apparently hers!!! The nerve of Target to try to resell them. :confused:

I'm constantly aware of the fragility of the little kittens too. I'm glad they've got nine lives as I'm sure I've caused them to lose a few here and there. :tongue_smilie:

Personally? Our cards say "Merry Christmas from the Mungo family!" I just avoid it altogether. :D eta: I do this is the hope that it will encourage others to do the same. ;)

This is what I do. Our last name ends with an "S". It's a nightmare.

ETA: It's a nightmare because so many people insert an apostrophe before the s. :banghead: It's perfectly fine to just add an apostrophe, or to add an apostrophe, but please don't separate the s from the rest of the name. They belong together!

Edited by Amy loves Bud

HELP!

I like the apostrophes because I would be thinking you are having trouble finding a dear son (ds) and Pms would be post menstrual syndrom. I NEED my apostrophes!!!:D (For 1920 I don't care at all. I can tell what it means.)

HELP!

Personally, I would use an apostrophe in all of those examples.

I never know what to do about my last name. It is long and ends with a z. To me, zs looks weird. I usually opt for "The ... Family".