Menu

AP approval on two courses! Woo hoo!! and thank you!!

I have to share because you ladies are just about the only ones who can appreciate how excited I am! I just received notification that both of our AP courses are approved!! I am just so completely thrilled!! :party::party:

I got the response on the AP Psych within a day or two (a month or so ago), but the AP English Lit has been hanging out there. College Board promises a response within 2 months, but at the 2 month mark I got an email saying they were running behind and to please be patient. ;) So this morning I finally got the YES!

So THANK YOU, THANK YOU to so many people here who helped me -- whether from old posts where you've shared, or conversations we've had together. Due to several changes late very in the summer, I didn't embark on the AP route until mid- to late-August. It was a lot of work, but so worth it... and I appreciate those of you trailblazers who have encouraged me along this path!

Edited by StaceyZ

You need to have your materials and syllabus approved by the College Board in order to list the course as AP on your transcript. If a parent doesn't care about listing the course as AP, you can just use whatever materials you want. I know that our state university weights grades when calculating GPAs, and an AP course is worth more, so for some people it's worth getting official approval.

Congratulations, Stacey!

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
typos

You need to have your materials and syllabus approved by the College Board in order to list the course as AP on your transcript.

But does this mean that if you used one of the AP syllabi that has been approved already, that you could list it on your transcript (presuming that you had really followed the syllabus), esp if you then took the AP test?

Joan

But if a student passes the AP exam, it comes to the same thing, no?

Yes and no. The only way to EARN college credit (if a particular college even grants credit for AP exams, because that depends on the school you're considering), is to take the AP test in May and score what the college requires. So in that sense, it doesn't matter whether you take an "official" AP class or not; all that matters is the AP test score (scale of 1-5).

BUT, as was mentioned, some colleges do give "extra consideration" to students who have taken AP classes -- whether that means a weighted GPA or extra attention in the admissions process or whatever. And in that case, the only way you can list "AP Psychology" or whatever AP course is to submit your syllabus to the College Board and have them approve it.

In our case, I realized over the summer while reading college websites that, indeed, some of the colleges my teens are considering do specifically say that "extra consideration will be given to students who enroll in AP classes, as well as those who pass AP exams." Until then, I figured "who cares?" about the AP label on the transcript. But some school do differentiate between the class and the exam. And I figured -- who knows what might happen in May? What if for some reason they can't take it or something? I wanted them to be able to list AP on a transcript. And yes, I don't really want to admit this, but I suppose I may have felt that it might further "legitimize" our homeschool transcript. lol

HTH, and thanks for all the congrats! :)

But does this mean that if you used one of the AP syllabi that has been approved already, that you could list it on your transcript (presuming that you had really followed the syllabus), esp if you then took the AP test?

Joan

Do you mean the sample syllabi posted on College Board (CB)? I don't really know how that would be received if you submitted that to them as your syllabus.

But basically, every teacher (homeschool, public, private) who teaches an AP-recognized course has to create an account on CB and actually submit there syllabus for review. (I did use the sample syllabi provided as good examples, but our syllabi were definitely uniquely ours.)

CB has to approve your syllabus and have a copy (electronically) on file for you to use the AP designation on your student's transcript.

Of course, if you don't care about listing a course as "AP" on a transcript, and just stick with AP test scores, then none of this matters. lol

Do you mean the sample syllabi posted on College Board (CB)? I don't really know how that would be received if you submitted that to them as your syllabus.

But basically, every teacher (homeschool, public, private) who teaches an AP-recognized course has to create an account on CB and actually submit there syllabus for review. (I did use the sample syllabi provided as good examples, but our syllabi were definitely uniquely ours.)

CB has to approve your syllabus and have a copy (electronically) on file for you to use the AP designation on your student's transcript.

Oh no, I wasn't planning on resubmitting an approved syllabus. I was thinking of just using the approved syllabus (not from the college board site, but from a different site that is listing approved syllabi).

I didn't realize that it was a class-by-class basis. Do they resubmit the syllabi every year? I wonder if the teacher who got the syllabus approved can add the person on as one of the teachers?

Anyway, that is really great that you got yours approved.

It is making me wonder about getting one approved (where I would make my own) even now since we are doing a block scheduling for it and so have just started. I hadn't realized that the approval could come this late in the year.

Cleo - the reason I would want the course to have AP is that my son's transcript will be sent out before the AP exams are back. And so it would be more obvious that he was doing AP level work if the course had that listed.

Thanks,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

I didn't realize that it was a class-by-class basis. Do they resubmit the syllabi every year? I wonder if the teacher who got the syllabus approved can add the person on as one of the teachers?

<snip>

It is making me wonder about getting one approved (where I would make my own) even now since we are doing a block scheduling for it and so have just started. I hadn't realized that the approval could come this late in the year.

Once a syllabus is approved, it can be renewed in subsequent years. There is a way for teachers to "share" a syllabus, but they both have to have CB accounts I believe. And they might need to be listed as at the same school (which would make sense because I think the thought is that they are team-teaching or maybe one teacher is switching out for another mid-year).

But check out the calendar -- it's not too late to submit your own syllabus!!

http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/

Looks like January 31st is the deadline. Although I wouldn't recommend waiting that long if you can avoid it. If they deny it, I think you still have 1-2 opportunities to revise it for them, but all of that takes time and you might not want to play that game.

I assumed I'd have to have stuff in by August or September, and was so happy to realize that I had time to do it. CB obviously prefers teachers to submit in late spring or summer for the coming school year, but they really are pretty accommodating. I had to call the AP helpline once to verify the coding I needed to use and they were very helpful (even knowing that I was a homeschooler).

Good luck!!

BUT, as was mentioned, some colleges do give "extra consideration" to students who have taken AP classes -- whether that means a weighted GPA or extra attention in the admissions process or whatever. And in that case, the only way you can list "AP Psychology" or whatever AP course is to submit your syllabus to the College Board and have them approve it.

Ah I see now! (And the fact I didn't understand before does not in any way diminish my congratulations...)

The colleges we're considering only care about the AP test score (and won't even give credits for them). So I probably dismissed anything having to do with AP classes. Being in a different country, we are sometimes faced with different situations :)

Thank you for the explanations.

Stacey, that is great! Congratulations. Can I ask? Did you design your own course or did you adapt an existing syllabus? Kudos to you for researching and finding out that you could actually do an AP course at home. I had no idea that it was a possibility. Sorry, I am asking about what you ended doing for AP Lang.

Yes and no. The only way to EARN college credit (if a particular college even grants credit for AP exams, because that depends on the school you're considering), is to take the AP test in May and score what the college requires. So in that sense, it doesn't matter whether you take an "official" AP class or not; all that matters is the AP test score (scale of 1-5).

In our case, I realized over the summer while reading college websites that, indeed, some of the colleges my teens are considering do specifically say that "extra consideration will be given to students who enroll in AP classes, as well as those who pass AP exams." Until then, I figured "who cares?" about the AP label on the transcript. But some school do differentiate between the class and the exam. And I figured -- who knows what might happen in May? What if for some reason they can't take it or something? I wanted them to be able to list AP on a transcript. And yes, I don't really want to admit this, but I suppose I may have felt that it might further "legitimize" our homeschool transcript. lol

HTH, and thanks for all the congrats! :)

Once a syllabus is approved, it can be renewed in subsequent years. There is a way for teachers to "share" a syllabus, but they both have to have CB accounts I believe. And they might need to be listed as at the same school (which would make sense because I think the thought is that they are team-teaching or maybe one teacher is switching out for another mid-year).

But check out the calendar -- it's not too late to submit your own syllabus!!

http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/

Looks like January 31st is the deadline. Although I wouldn't recommend waiting that long if you can avoid it. If they deny it, I think you still have 1-2 opportunities to revise it for them, but all of that takes time and you might not want to play that game.

I assumed I'd have to have stuff in by August or September, and was so happy to realize that I had time to do it. CB obviously prefers teachers to submit in late spring or summer for the coming school year, but they really are pretty accommodating. I had to call the AP helpline once to verify the coding I needed to use and they were very helpful (even knowing that I was a homeschooler).

Good luck!!

This is such welcome news here and I did reread the thread and found that you had already answered the questions I had asked. We are working at a very intense level, but my plan has evolved into such an odd duck, I wonder what the board would think. I guess there is only one way to find out.:D

Did you design your own course or did you adapt an existing syllabus? <snip> Sorry, I am asking about what you ended doing for AP Lang.

Hey Lisa -- I actually submitted on Lit not Language. I looked at the sample syllabi (it seems like there are always 4 available at the CB site), and of course closely followed the specific points they require, but pretty much ended up doing our own. I also subscribed to the AP forums on the CB site. There is really WAY too much info though; it can be quite overwhelming and even distracting. I tried to do more reading than asking of questions, but occasionally did ask a question or two. The course description and ... ah, I can't remember what the other document is called. lol It several pages of a 3-column chart in landscape orientation, from the CB site. But that document pretty much walks you through, point by point, what is required. It also provides examples of acceptable proof to demonstrate that you've fulfilled that requirement. If you don't know what document I'm talking about, LMK and figure out what it's called. ;)

Hey Lisa -- I actually submitted on Lit not Language. I looked at the sample syllabi (it seems like there are always 4 available at the CB site), and of course closely followed the specific points they require, but pretty much ended up doing our own. I also subscribed to the AP forums on the CB site. There is really WAY too much info though; it can be quite overwhelming and even distracting. I tried to do more reading than asking of questions, but occasionally did ask a question or two. The course description and ... ah, I can't remember what the other document is called. lol It several pages of a 3-column chart in landscape orientation, from the CB site. But that document pretty much walks you through, point by point, what is required. It also provides examples of acceptable proof to demonstrate that you've fulfilled that requirement. If you don't know what document I'm talking about, LMK and figure out what it's called. ;)

Stacey, I am going to go and pull out all the syllabi I had printed a few months ago and spend the break going over the website and see if I can tweak what we have done so far. If I can pull this off, you have no idea what a huge problem this could solve for us. Thanks so much for the renewed hope.:grouphug:

Sounds great -- good luck!

The document I was talking about is the Syllabus Development Guide on the CB site, specific to the course you're developing. It has every "curricular requirement" [CR] defined, described, and includes 3 examples of how one might include that. The sample syllabi include [CR1], [CR12], etc., and that's what those are. In fact, on our AP Psych syllabus I included all of those hoping it might make it easier for the reviewer (and me). I did not do that on the Eng Lit, but would if I had to do it over again. Those references are great just for personal use so that you can make sure you remembered everything and such. I printed out a copy of the Sylabus Devel Guide and wrote on the pages and circled examples I liked or things we were planning on that I thought could "count" for that requirement. Made it much easier to keep it all straight.

Best wishes! :)

Sounds great -- good luck!

The document I was talking about is the Syllabus Development Guide on the CB site, specific to the course you're developing. It has every "curricular requirement" [CR] defined, described, and includes 3 examples of how one might include that. The sample syllabi include [CR1], [CR12], etc., and that's what those are. In fact, on our AP Psych syllabus I included all of those hoping it might make it easier for the reviewer (and me). I did not do that on the Eng Lit, but would if I had to do it over again. Those references are great just for personal use so that you can make sure you remembered everything and such. I printed out a copy of the Sylabus Devel Guide and wrote on the pages and circled examples I liked or things we were planning on that I thought could "count" for that requirement. Made it much easier to keep it all straight.

Best wishes! :)

Thanks so much. One more question for you if you don't mind. On the College Board site, there is a link for AP Audit which is the area where I thought the info is for submitting your syllabi. Do you have a log-in to College Board and if so, how did you deal with the code that links you to an institution?

Do you have a log-in to College Board and if so, how did you deal with the code that links you to an institution?

Yes, you do need a code when creating your account. They have a homeschool code different for each state. I had to call the AP help line to get the code, but didn't realize it is the same coding you would use for the PSAT/SAT. Here is the link to the codes, including for outside the U.S. if anyone needs that.

Have fun! ;)

Edited by StaceyZ

Yes, you do need a code when creating your account. They have a homeschool code different for each state. I had to call the AP help line to get the code, but didn't realize it is the same coding you would use for the PSAT/SAT. Here is the link to the codes. I'm sure there's another list for international codes, if anyone needs that -- just google it.

Have fun! ;)

Done. I am in. Raising my coffee mug to you, my dear.:D

Stacey,

On your application as a homeschool course, do you just talk about "one student" instead of a class? I've been looking at approved syllabi and they talk about the class doing this or that...just wondering how you dealt with it. Had you seen "homeschool" approved syllabi?

Also, in case other internationals are looking on the code list, it gives one for all international homeschoolers, but when my son took the AP's before, we contacted the CB and there was a specific homeschool code for Switzerland which is similar, but not the same. So the general one will do, but you can get a country specific one.

Thanks,

Joan

On your application as a homeschool course, do you just talk about "one student" instead of a class? I've been looking at approved syllabi and they talk about the class doing this or that...just wondering how you dealt with it. Had you seen "homeschool" approved syllabi?

Good questions, Joan. I had not seen any homeschool syllabi before submitting. I did opt to keep it generic: "Students will..." and that kind of thing. I do have 2 close in age, so knew I could be referring to either/both, but I also felt that it kept the language and content in the realm most familiar to the reviewer. Supposedly no identifying information is given to the reviewer (and we are instructed to not have any identifying info on file submitted). But most the syllabi content was dealing with topics, questions, etc., so there were only a few times I had to consider my wording. Wasn't a big deal.

On our Eng Lit syllabus, I did also begin by listing out some of the titles studied in 2 previous years and stated that those courses were prerequisites (which is true). But I felt that providing that info went along well with the AP course requirements and gave a broader picture for how this one particular course fit in with the whole. Given that "pre-AP" English courses are common in high schools, this worked well.