Menu

Who has a "cozy" little space just to read/relax?

I want to make a space where I am able to sit, have some tea, read my Bible, and play some soothing music and have my little water fountain on.

I have no idea how to do this since my living room is kind of awkward.

If any of you have some pictures you would like to share of your "space" I would love to see them.

Or maybe some ideas on the web??

Hey, I'm just about to do this! I'm not sure what to call it, it won't really be a library, but a sit and read, sip some coffee, strum the guitar kind of room.

I plan to put in a china cabinet that I use for a bookcase, a round ottoman to serve as a foot rest/coffee table and a few chairs, one or two that are armless so as not to interfere with an instrument on one's lap.

I will install a dimmer switch on the overhead light, add a couple of lamps, and a small fountain in the winter. The room looks out over my outdoor garden fountain so I can open a window when the season permits.

The room is rather open, well, heck, it only has two walls, so I am planning on adding portieres to curtain it off somewhat. I'm still strategizing that. :)

It will probably be a January project, since I'll put the Christmas tree in there for now, but I will post pics when it's done.

I would love to see pix when it's done.

This is going to be a January project for me as well.

And sneaking in the bathroom?? Heck yes. It is the only provate place I have right now. And I even have a magazine rack in there. Until I here BANG BANG .....I gotta go peeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................:smash:

I just redid my bedroom, and as my (early, but who cares!) Christmas present, DH got me a recliner to go in the corner where two windows meet. We had to take a small table out of the room and store some stuff elsewhere, but it's oh so worth it. I anticipate MANY hours of happiness in that chair.

I don't have pics right now but I have two places.

One is for nice weather - it's a glassed in porch at the back of our house. We drag out a couple of comfy chairs and a side table and that's about all that fits. That's where I live in spring and fall.

The other is my bed. I have a ton of pillows and I love my bedspread, bed, etc. I have the perfect bedside lamp and I end up there when I am done with life. When my family sees me cuddled up in bed, they know to leave me alone.

Here is a picture of my dd9 reading area. I know it's probably much smaller than what you are looking to make for yourself but maybe you can get some ideas. If my rear were sitting in her spot, I would have it cushioned. :D

I bought a papasan chair for my bedroom, complete with cozy reading light and blankets for my own reading spot. I have used it once as there always seems to be a child in it, awake or asleep doesn't matter, someone is always there. I'm not sure how to make a reading spot that doesn't attract readers. ;)

I use my bedroom closet. It is a larger closet than normalz but nowhere near huge and probably not considered a walk in.

It has a rocking chair with a massager on it (old christmas gift for my dad he never used) and it also has a small bookcase and a sort of bedside table.

It has a few coats hanging up, and gets freezing cold in the winterz but other than that its cozy. I'll post pics when i can get to a comp.

Papasan chairs are the best for snuggling up to read. I used to have a great papasan chair in the corner of my living room, with two 6 foot bookcases behind it, a reading light that clipped to a shelf, a nice cozy chenile blanket.... pure bliss.

I'm hoping to get something similar back once we finish our new house. Right now there's no space and everything is arranged with the goal of keeping little kids from climbing.:glare:

Here is a picture of my dd9 reading area. I know it's probably much smaller than what you are looking to make for yourself but maybe you can get some ideas. If my rear were sitting in her spot, I would have it cushioned. :D

I bought a papasan chair for my bedroom, complete with cozy reading light and blankets for my own reading spot. I have used it once as there always seems to be a child in it, awake or asleep doesn't matter, someone is always there. I'm not sure how to make a reading spot that doesn't attract readers. ;)

Oh, I know what you mean! Every time I think I'm going to get a little break and sneak off to my reading chair, I find someone else in it!

But I can't boot 'em out because, well, they're READING!

Does sneaking into the bathroom and locking the door count for anything? ;)

Cat

it doesn't count for anything here. Dh and dd11 will just walk in to talk to me, others will talk to me through the door.

I will admit - I've gone out to the DARK garage in the middle of winter and sat with a coat on to have a private conversation on the phone. :D Ds19 opened the door to see if I was out there. I sunk down in the seat.:lol:Dh was inside, I wasn't really needed.

Sometimes I'll go read behind a tree and when someone opens the door yelling for me, I stay hidden, laughing hysterically, watching them from behind the tree. I also hide out in the barn.

But for the space you want to create, I've done this but we added on a room so I'm not much help. I wanted it to have a certain ambiance and I even have a cage of doves in the room. I planned on having a water fountain but I'm not quite sure if I will do that. I'm still waiting for my furniture to be delivered and then I'll make a decision on the fountain.

Before this I bought a chaisse lounge and placed it by a huge window where the sun poured in. When I really wanted to read and relax in peace, I'd send the kids to their room to have quiet time or I'd have them read at the same time. The rule was that it had to be quiet. I also have a little table there with some trinkets I love. I'm not a trinket person but I have some that are special to me. It has a special feel to it and many of us will cozy up there and read.

That picture of the reading nook is adorable!!

I am looking into the suggestions mentioned here about chairs and such. I want something comfy.

I also noticed that when I don't feel well, other then my bed, I really do not have a comfortable spot to rest in. The couch I have now, was given to me by my SIL and is on the small side and not comfortable at all.

One other thing I am going to have to look into. All these ideas. All I need now is the $$:lol: