Menu

Need ideas for 20yr old son

My son is coming home for a visit (he is in the Navy and hasn't been home in 11 months). He still is finished all his schooling so he is not really stationed anywhere yet. As usual, he has not told me what he would like for Christmas. He has done this for the last 3 yrs and it is highly frustrating. This year is the worse because he is in limbo right now. I begged him for a few hints and his response to my email..."Negative". :glare:

I know he wants some expensive running shoes that I will get him, but I need some ideas for other gifts. What would a 20 yr old want?!?

Here are some things I thought of:

Homemade cookies

pocket knife

running shorts and shirt

iTunes Gift Card

Gift Subscription to National Geographic Magazine

T-shirt

Wallet

Gift Card to a restaurant chain like Jamba Juice or Noodles

If he is into exercising, there are some fun "at home" tools (My son liked "Perfect Push Ups" -- a home exercise gadget that you can use even in small spaces.)

I know he wants some expensive running shoes that I will get him, but I need some ideas for other gifts. What would a 20 yr old want?!?

running shorts and shirt

The shorts and shirt are a good idea. Anything else to go along w/ running or exercising! I like the perfect push-ups idea that a pp mentioned. Or some hand weights, excercise towel, socks, water bottle, etc....

That age is so hard to buy for especially when they haven't started their own home or families yet. My 19 yo wanted video games so that was easy but my 22 years old was hard. I finally got him a piano type keyboard but I also did get him a pocket knife and had it engraved to give it that special feel. Other than that I really had no clue. Is there anything he is into that you can have something custom made for him? Before the keyboard I was thinking about getting him a custom made guitar strap so he would have something unique. Good luck. The older they get the harder they are to buy for.

My son is coming home for a visit (he is in the Navy and hasn't been home in 11 months). He still is finished all his schooling so he is not really stationed anywhere yet. As usual, he has not told me what he would like for Christmas. He has done this for the last 3 yrs and it is highly frustrating. This year is the worse because he is in limbo right now. I begged him for a few hints and his response to my email..."Negative". :glare:

Here are some things I thought of:

Homemade cookies

pocket knife

running shorts and shirt

Firstly, thank your son & thank you! :grouphug:

Would it depend on what his job would be? If he is going to be on a sub, he won't have much room.

What about a sweatshirt with his favorite sports team logo? Or a baseball hat. Do you know about New Era hats? They are the hat around here.

Gift card to the movies?

A small laptop? Are those called netbooks?

There is another thread from Liz CA whose son is going to basic training -- I think she got some ideas.

since it's winter wear and really cold where I am and your son is a runner, is there any winter running gear you could get

I saw special gloves for running the other day. My hands are the last to warm up in exercise. When I go out with the local running group I see guy in shorts, tank tops and gloves (I bundle up more than that).

Your local running store may have a lot of fun technical stuff you would never think of. You may find something your son never thought he needed, but then adopts as this great thing to have during a workout.

That is a great idea.

You could make a gift basket of treats and healthy snacks and attach bills to each item. That would make it fun and special.

I think I'm going to use that idea as my teenager is asking for $ for a woodworking project he's been planning. Normally I'd be happy to buy him the components but he won't settle on the plan until close to when he starts, which will be in spring.

When my brother was in the army he always kept "stuff" to a minimum. He didn't want to store it, haul it around, or worry about having it stolen.