Menu

Swimming lessons---for ADULTS--anyone do this?

My husband bought a family membership to the YMCA. I am NOT big into exercise. I need to and enjoy walking with friends, doing some home fitness DVDs, etc. but not those high powered classes filled with women who are a size 6 and dressed to the hilt (just typical of our YMCA---we are rural but the Y is in a yuppy/touristy town).

I start physical therapy tomorrow for tendonitis and something else with my ankle. If that doesn't work then surgery with 4 months on crutches is my next option. That means that anything that puts high stress on my ankle is out for now--things like aerobics classes, etc.

All that to say that I am considering swimming lessons and/or water aerobics. They offer beginner level swimming lessons for adults. I CAN swim. I can do an OK backstroke and can swim to save my life but not swim for exercise, etc. I never got the breathing thing down and I have NO endurance for swimming.

I was just wondering if swimming lessons would help me. I am close to 200 pounds so I need the exercise and weight loss as well.

The thought of me getting into the cold water weekly and having to do all of that shaving isn't appealing but I need some exercise and learning to swim better would be good.

So, anyone take swimming lessons as an out of shape adult? I don't have a lot of aerobic endurance but I can toss 50-60 pound bales of hay into the barn, carry sacks of grain, etc. with the best of them.

When dh's grandmother used to go to her Y for senior time water aerobics they heated the pool. You might be surprised about the temperature of the water.

Now, back years ago (5) when we lived in a town with a pool I would go to adult water aerobics. There was no swimming involved and we stayed at the deeper part of the shallow end. It was fun but I didn't feel like I was getting a great work out.

If I had the opportunity I'd add swimming to my new work out routine. I'm starting to run 6 days a week and I'm doing cardio boxing 3 days a week. I'd love to swim laps the other three days.

I think swimming lessons are a great idea. I've been thinking of doing this for a while myself. I am a good swimmer--I competed as a child an worked as a lifeguard and taught swimming as a college student. I've tried to swim for fitness from time to time but it always seemed like a whole lot of work (getting to the pool, getting dressed, swimming, showering, dealing with wet hair, etc.) for what didn't feel like a great work out.

I think this is for the reasons you describe--I don't really have the breathing/coordination down anymore. So I'm thinking that lessons will help me get my strokes to a point where I can really push myself in the water and get a great workout.

Swimming is a great excersize for all kinds of people--pregnant women, overweight people, people with injuries. There isn't the usually strain on joints, etc that you risk with running or working with weights.

The trick for both of us is finding a good teacher--we need someone who can coach adults and can really help us with not just swiming but with developing a personal regime so that we can build fitness. This isn't the same kind of teaching that a coach would do with kids. So you don't just want the teenager at the local Y who teaches the 5 year olds.

Pools are rife with all kinds of quirky folks who would be able to help you find the right teacher or coach. Start asking around.

I'd also suggest that you reconsider the Y fitness classes. I've never been a fan of public gyms, but I recently took a series of bootcap classes that were great. Some of the women were very fit ladies with pony tails and fancy workout clothes. Some were, like me, fairly fit but also very laid back about the whole weird gym scene. And there were a couple of women who probably considered themselves overweight. I really don't think anyone looked at them as anything other than members of the group. We developed a real commraderie and I have to say I was very impressed with how hard everyone worked and how dedicated to doing somehthing important for ourselves we all were. We were all out there doing it, and we all know how hard it can be to start and stick with something like this, and so I bet most of those women would never judge.

Good luck!

Edited by yellowperch

I'd also suggest that you reconsider the Y fitness classes. Good luck!

I might ask to see what they have for beginners. I need to first find out from the physical therapist what I can do and how much with my ankle. I don't want to do something that will hurt it more but if some classes would be good, I can head that way.

The Y is just harder for me to use. It is about a 20 minute drive each way in good weather and then I have to fit it in my schedule. I have 3 special needs kids with lots of medical appointments, etc. so my schedule isn't always mine to make. Add in physical therapy for me 2-3 times a week and I don't know.

The swimming class though is on Wed. nights from 7:30-8:15 which is when the kids would be with my husband at AWANA/teens.

I also need to get back to doing the T-tapp program and maybe some weights here at home. I wish my husband had joined the SNAP fitness which is a lot closer and you can go anytime to do anything but he likes the YMCA and is going 3-4 days a week and the kids love to swim there.

So swim it is! I think you are going to like it.

Can you join the closer fitness club, just for yourself? I know it might seem like a waste of money if your family is already paying for the Y, but it isn't as long as you use it.

I could join SNAP fitness just myself if I wanted but right now I am thinking of using that money for Weight Watchers. There is just only so much money in the budget for fitness stuff. SNAP fitness is closer to home and easy to get to but would I actually USE it????

What would be ideal is for me to develop a good, at home program. At one point I was doing various DVDs---T-tapp, aerobics, walk away the pounds, etc. and some mild weight training. That might be easier for me than commiting and paying for a gym membership.

I also meet with friends 2-3 times a week to walk outside. Until I hurt my ankle we were walking 2-3 miles on Monday nights, 2 on Friday afternoons, and 3 on Saturday mornings with a 15-16 minute mile--so a decent clip. Right now though I can't walk that fast. I can do the distance, just not the speed.

I might do the swimming lessons though as that would give me a good idea of if I enjoy it or not and it is just $5/week.

I just wish the Y offered beginner level classes for those not used to exercising, needing to loose a lot of weight, or those that have health issues. So many of the classes seem geared to those who are already in good shape---very fast paced, high energy, etc.

You could ask if they offer a stroke improvement class. Our Y offered it for the adults who could swim, but wanted more practice, a coach to help them perfect their form, or to learn a new stroke. You could also schedule a private lesson or two, if all you need is a confidence boost. And some instructors will offer semi-private lessons if you and a friend want to share the time (and split the cost).

The easiest way to build your endurance is to just get in the pool and swim. When I started out, I could only manage 8 laps before I felt like my heart would burst. I've slowly worked my way up to half a mile.

The water classes can be fun, as well. The ones I attended focused on toning more than aerobics (I would take the class, then swim laps). It seniors class and I was the youngest one there, but those ladies were in a lot better shape than I was!

My Y doesn't even have a pool. I wish it did! I can get around okay in the water but like you I never really had swimming lessons and never had the whole rhythm and breathing thing down either- I have spent a lot more time swimming UNDER water than I have doing a regular stroke above the water.

I think adult lessons are a great idea! And I'm sure it would help with weight loss!

When I started out, I could only manage 8 laps before I felt like my heart would burst. I've slowly worked my way up to half a mile.

The water classes can be fun, as well. The ones I attended focused on toning more than aerobics (I would take the class, then swim laps). It seniors class and I was the youngest one there, but those ladies were in a lot better shape than I was!

OK--see, you are WAY beyond me. I honestly don't know if I could swim even ONE lap right now. I could probably do it but it would NOT be pretty. I do better on my back but again, not pretty.

They offer active older adult classes---wonder if they would let me join????

I have been thinking of doing this too. I recently stayed at a hotel and tried out the pool. I hadn't swum in decades! It's really hard work! I could only swim 4 times across this very tiny pool (I don't even think it was one real lap!).

I'm in a similar situation, with weight and physical problems general level of swimming ability, and I think swimming would really help. I just haven't figured out how to manage doing it.

I teach swimming. I have taught adult classes at a Y. I now teach red cross classes at a community center to adults and children. Your Y should have advanced beginner classes that might fit your level of ability. After that they may have stroke correction classes and may even have fitness swimming/masters/triathlon programs. You should not be intimidated by any of these classes. You should not worry about how you "look" in a bathing suit. I've been larger than you and lost weight through training programs that fit my ability. I see masters swimmers who are overweight, as well as masters swimmers who are muscular size 6s.

Swimming is a great way to cross train and build muscles after an injury or to prevent injury. While you are learning, but not yet completely comfortable with lap swimming and developing sets for an aerobic workout, you may want to consider water aerobics too. If your Y offers deep water aerobics or water running, these may be good classes to consider. These are classes where your feet never touch the bottom. You wear as much flotation as you need to stay above the surface, but in addition to following the instructors moves you have balance yourself over the flotation belt or flotation boots. These classes can be a good workout. No matter what classes are available you may want to try a few different ones at all different times. While you may find a written description of a classes, you will still find there is a huge variation in intensity by the instructor and sometimes the intensity is set by the class itself. --You may walk into a class that is really senior social hour. You might ask the aquatics director about each class.

If you are worried about water temp, check out if your Y has a spa or steam room. A little warm up reward to use after your workout. My old body likes to do my post work out stretching in the spa.

I learned to swim just two summers ago. I think you should go for it.

To avoid some of the shaving, I wear a swimsuit that uses shorts instead of a regular bottom. The shorts fit loose (so they're not like biker shorts.) I feel very comfortable in them. They are short, but I don't feel like I'm wearing underwear (like in normal swimsuits) and it's not the little skirt thing that makes me feel like an old fuddy-duddy.

Edited by Garga

Two suggestions:

1. A few months ago, Cooking Light had a great article on water aerobics. It was an "I tried it" personal experience, so it was quite informative, not a bunch of impersonal facts. Oh, here it is:

http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/fitness/i-tried-it-water-aerobics-00412000069674/

2. Try find when you start swimming. You will feel like you are flying. You also can use a kickboard, holding onto it with your arms outstretched and just kicking. That way, you can work on your kick without worrying about arms and breathing.

I recently saw an older lap swimmer wearing one fin to swim. Now, my first thought is that that would make me swim in circles, but I finally decided that it must have been to rehabilitate one of her legs or ankles. I don't know whether the fin would go on the bad side or good side, but it might be worth asking a swim instructor or physical therapist about.

And NO, I don't swim, but I have a competitive swim daughter and see a lot of lap swimming.

Terri

Today I went for my first water aerobics class. First, the water was much warmer than I expected. It wasn't warm but not cold either---BIG PLUS.

The class was about 18 ladies. I knew 2 girls in there---special needs (both have Down Syndrome) that are in my son's class that actually meets at the YMCA. Other than the 2 young ladies, I was the youngest in the class by 10-15 years or more.

The class was very doable. I was lost a few times but the instructor did a great job coming by me to show me what they were doing, etc. Her class is mostly dancy moves in the water to 60s music (well, until the CD player quit).

The deep water stuff was more challenging as I don't swim well but I used a noodle. Started out with a swim belt but that tipped me forward.

We will see if I am sore tomorrow but I made it through the 1 hour class and didn't have to have the life guard come and rescue me which my brother thought would happen :-)

I think I will try it again next week or another class with this instructor. The ladies said the Friday one was much tougher and I am not ready for that. The Monday instructor might be good as well.

Still thinking of those swim lessons.

I haven't read all of the replies, but I was a complete non-swimmer and terrified in the water and learned to swim last year at the age of 35 by taking adult swim lessons at the local YMCA. One of the best things I've ever done! The first time I could swim a lap it was amazing. The instruction was great and now I get compliments on my great form. When I tell them I've only been a swimmer for a year they are amazed!

ETA - I agree about finding the right instructor. I had tried before with teen instructors and it was a disaster. The woman I ended up learning from was amazing. Ask at the front desk if they have someone who specializes in teaching adults and try a private lesson first if you don't want to commit to a whole class.

Edited by RoundAbout

RoundAbout--were you in good shape before you started? Today at the Y I did the water aerobics and we had to "jog" in the water to the deep end and back and I was TIRED just doing that. I am not afraid of the water and can swim some but I am just out of shape and you can't just "quit" swimming in the deep end to take a break :-)

I took some swim classes about 6-7 yrs ago maybe. I learned some but my form is still terrible. I am in decent shape but cannot even make it close to a lap as my form/breathing is so terrible. I had hopes of doing a triatholon for the longest time but my swimming is so bad I don't think I ever could. I seen some classes for adults at the city pool when I took the kids this summer but don't know what all they focus on though. I should check it out for myself. I am doing swim classes for the kids though so they will know how!