Menu

Hunting with the children

pqr

For those who have taken the children hunting (specifically for deer) at what age did you do so? What was the reaction? Did you have the children dress the animal?

I have no interest in a debate about the morality of this, it will happen and I believe it to be good for children, I am interested in the ages and any steps taken before the hunt.

To answer a comment, the children DO want to do this.

Edited by pqr

For those who have taken the children hunting (specifically for deer) at what age did you do so? What was the reaction? Did you have the children dress the animal?

I have no interest in a debate about the morality of this, it will happen and I believe it to be good for children, I am interested in the ages and any steps taken before the hunt.

My father was a game warden and we had large game every year (elk, pronghorn, deer) and grouse (a special treat for me during the fall :) My brother and I learned to hunt rabbits at 7 and 5, respectively. I was never interested in big game hunting. My brother began hunting at 14, and my father taught him to dress the animal at that time (though we had seen it done before), we didn't dress the rabbits, I guess he didn't trust us with the knives that young :)

Since we grew up with animals hanging out in the back shed and cutting up and eating animals from a young age, (I helped butcher when I was 12 and 13) there was no big reaction.

Are you a hunter yourself? Is this a lifestyle? That might make a difference.

T.

Are you a hunter yourself? Is this a lifestyle? That might make a difference.

No where near to the degree that I would like but enough to understand the ramifications. While I was around hunters from a very young age I did not participate at the time.

Issues such as gun safety have already been well covered. It is more the reaction of bringing down a deer that I am interested in and how the youngsters took it.

I do appreciate your answers.

The traditional age in our area seems to be eight. With most kids I've known, the problem wasn't squeamishness about killing a deer (by this time they'd seen so many deer processed that they were pretty well prepared) but their ability to stay still for the hunt. Little kids get bored quickly and want to make noise, move around, etc. and that just can't fly on a hunt. I think the age of eight is a good general guideline in that respect, but of course it really depends on the personality and maturity level of your own kid.

I know one family that has a tradition of thanking the deer for giving its life so that their family may eat. Another family I know is very Christian and they pray to God, thanking him for their bounty.

To answer a comment, the children DO want to do this.

My son was 12.5 when he got his first deer. He was shaking with excitement, and dh ended up dressing it out (He was with him since it was a youth hunt.). He anticipates coaching from the sidelines while ds dresses the next one. We'll see how that goes...

As for steps taken before the hunt, he was almost done with hunter safety class. Some target practicing and proper gear (I bought him a REALLY sharp hunting knife--which dh was glad to have.) and attire and he was good to go. Oh, and my brother lent him the use of a deer blind, and even chose the location. That was pretty much it.

I went the first time with my dad when I was about 10, I think. *I* never shot anything (I did injure a bird once, but I don't talk about that), but I did have to assist with anything he killed from forest to table.

I'm a vegetarian these days ;):tongue_smilie:.

But, I want to say that I think it is absolutely important that every child who has someone willing, should experience where their food is supposed to come from (and I sure don't mean a trip to the factory farm). It's an important connection to make; to appreciate everything from start to finish. Hunting and gathering is innate, and has somehow been lost over the past generations. It's a shame.

Good for you, pqr, for offering the experience to your children.

Our kids go with hunting starting at age 3. Yes, they learn to sit still in a tree and watch us hunt. They are involved in every aspect of the deer, including dressing. My kids are all fine with it and we have never had any problems.

My DD will be shooting her first deer next year at age 9. We will evaluate the age for hunting on their own as we go.

We raise deer and my DH is a taxidermist. My kids have seen it all and there have been no adverse effects. My DD is extremely sensitive and has a soft spot for animals and she has no problem seeing a deer killed or cut up. She looks forward to it. I think, since it is a way of life for us, she has always seen the difference. If one of our pet deer dies, we all cry. There is an absolute difference between pets and livestock and wild game!

ETA: my DH wanted me to add that all of our kids can identify all the internal organs of a deer and have no problems helping him gather up the carcass to take to the field or help cleaning up the blood in the garage.

Edited by kwickimom

I've never hunted, but my brother did ;)

His first trip at 11 was for deer and it did not go well. He had no experience, froze at the last second and was really torn up for the next few days. It was decided he needed to start smaller. He used a BB gun and went squirrel hunting every weekend for awhile, he had to clean and cook them (with help, but he did all the work). Then, he worked up to rabbits. By the next hunting season he was ready and did much better.

So, I would recommend starting off smaller and working your way up to big game :D

Both dd's took turns going out with dh over Thanksgiving. He dressed them warm, took ear protection, took a book for them, and they sat in his tent. 5 year old was with him when he shot a deer. Both girls saw it after it was field dressed. Both girls looked into the bucket of guts. Ick. I walked towards it and gagged and they all laughed at me. No repercussions from the experience. Dh explained overpopulation and how hunting is a positive thing.

When will they hunt? Not sure. We teach them gun safety, but they haven't fired a gun. My 11 and 13 year old nephews compete in trap shooting and go hunting.

Edited by snickelfritz

I don't think I'd let a child hunt if they weren't willing to participate in dressing the animal. I've never had the chance to go hunting--if DD and I were ever invited by someone experienced I'd jump on it. She's a city girl, but butchering chickens didn't bother her ("mommy, what's Katie doing?" "Killing the chicken." "Why?" "So we can eat it." "Oh, okay."), so I'd have no qualms about exposing her to processing game. If anything, I'd rather have a child along and help with the dressing out on at least one excursion before they had a chance to try shooting.